Na
    Aug 2018

Adding a second shock doubles the value of a mtb, why?

What I cannot get through my head is that I understand a bike with front shocks, disc brakes n good components costs above half a grand but I just cannot justify adding one more shock to raise the price of itself double the value. Ridiculous, car struts are cheap so why, why does a mtb with dual shocks cost 1k more?

Esto Vir
    Engineering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Focus on technique and save the puking for later. - L. McCormack

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Because it is a luxury item and rich people are willing to pay for high end components

Check out the direct to consumer brands like YT and Canyon and you'll find more reasonable prices

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I don't have any inside industry information, but these factors come to mind:

Engineering R&D?
    Royalties to suspension designers (in some cases)?
    Additional components (shock, bearings, rocker, linkages)?
    Warranty costs (lifetime frame warranties cost something)?
    Relatively small customer base?
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Most hard tails now under $1k do not have full air forks, even the cheapest FS bikes come with full air forks. Example the least expensive new Giant HT with full air fork is the Fathom 2 at $1100, and a Giant Stance FS starts at $1530. So in essence you are paying $430 for linkage and a shock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmyk View Post
    What I cannot get through my head is that I understand a bike with front shocks, disc brakes n good components costs above half a grand but I just cannot justify adding one more shock to raise the price of itself double the value. Ridiculous, car struts are cheap so why, why does a mtb with dual shocks cost 1k more?
    Try Walmart?

Na
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    Try Walmart?
    I tried salvation army. I'll try Walmart or kmart.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wacha Wacha Wacha View Post
    Engineering.

Marketing.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Simple manufacturing reasons: more research and development; more engineering; more tooling; more dies; etc. A die for small parts, can cost $10k alone. The frame on a hard tail is only one part.

Esto Vir
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Marketing.
    Even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Focus on technique and save the puking for later. - L. McCormack

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    Simple manufacturing reasons: more research and development; more engineering; more tooling; more dies; etc. A die for small parts, can cost $10k alone. The frame on a hard tail is only one part.
    This is the reason. A full suspension frame has a lot of moving parts, axles, bearings, and a shock - just one. The front suspension is a fork.

Because full suspension bikes are so superior for most riding conditions, most hardtail bikes only have entry level components. So that's often a cap on the cost of a hardtail while full suspension bikes have a lot higher end, better, more costly models.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    This is the reason. A full suspension frame has a lot of moving parts, axles, bearings, and a shock - just one. The front suspension is a fork.

Because full suspension bikes are so superior for most riding conditions, most hardtail bikes only have entry level components. So that's often a cap on the cost of a hardtail while full suspension bikes have a lot higher end, better, more costly models.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Nailed it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    You can get a road bike, with no shocks at all, for $10,000.

Barely in control
    You're not going to be happy when you learn how often you have to service that rear shock! hint: It won't go 100k miles like the struts on your car.

mtbr member
    Every 10 feet of trail, you have to get off the bike and fully service the suspension. The entire thing is a racket.

My bike was only a few thousand bucks, and id pay it again. Actually, I have paid it again, and Ill likely do so in the future.

Ive been here a long time, and over the years there has consistently been a stream of threads trying to justify the price of bikes or components. Its a hobby, none of us "need" this stuff. If you cant wrap your mind around the price, just don't buy it. Theres always a view point where this stuff isnt worth it. Theres always a view point that this stuff is probably worth more than we paid.

Na
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    You're not going to be happy when you learn how often you have to service that rear shock! hint: It won't go 100k miles like the struts on your car.
    So, ppl are paying thousands of dollars to service the components after so long? That doesn't make sense. Should get what you pay for, like a good scooter is 2k and has ton of moving parts and for 2k, Genuine "brand" scooters come with 2 year warranty "maybe one" with road side assistance. ionno, I seen few bike in past few days up to around 6k :/, that's 3 scooters or 2 dirt bikes or one crotch rocket with plenty of moving parts.

So yeah, 1k+ for a bicycle I can't justify it.

mtbr member
    Again, supply and demand. Not that difficult.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

I know, right? I just took the shocks off my 1972 Chevy Impala and duct taped them to my Schwinn. It's so cool, I can even take it off some sweet jumps.

That's why Walmart still sells bikes. If there is a demand, manufacturers will make something for every consumer's price point. And that's ok.

But don't try to understand what makes sense by projecting your own situation onto others. Some people are quite able to justify the cost of a mountainbike that costs in the high four figures. And some of those, if forced to ride a thousand-dollar bike, would give up riding altogether.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Make an offer for the bike with one of the wheels removed, maybe it will offset the cost of the 2nd shock?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Barely in control
    So, ppl are paying thousands of dollars to service the components after so long? That doesn't make sense. Should get what you pay for, like a good scooter is 2k and has ton of moving parts and for 2k, Genuine "brand" scooters come with 2 year warranty "maybe one" with road side assistance. ionno, I seen few bike in past few days up to around 6k :/, that's 3 scooters or 2 dirt bikes or one crotch rocket with plenty of moving parts.

No, it isn't thousands of dollars. Fox recommends a service every 100 hours or once a year. It's about $350 for both front and rear. But imagine doing that every year.

Gotta pay to play.

Bicycling is not a poor man's sport. It's not just a rich man's sport, but it's not a poor man's sport, either.

Snowflake
    Bicycling is not a poor man's sport. It's not just a rich man's sport, but it's not a poor man's sport, either.
    The poor ride rigid SS, lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by Picard
    You guys are useless.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
    And some of those, if forced to ride a thousand-dollar bike, would give up riding altogether.
    I'm not so far gone that this applies to me, but... I just rode my 10yr old jalopy for a couple of hours while my 3yr old sweet bike was down, and did it suck.
    1st question for the OP, 'Picard, is that you?'
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    If adding shocks to a bike freaks you out. Imagine how pissed off you will be when discover how much extra adding only 2 wheels to a motorcycle costs. Why are cars so expensive man???????.

It's only 2 more wheels! Why? WHY!?

poser Administrator

This isn't really a fair assessment. This is 3 really crappy scooters, or 2 crappy dirt bikes. A name brand Vespa costs around $6k so a higher end bike is close to a Vespa as far as dollars go. A mid range honda dirt bike will cost you, what, $7-10K, again similar when you consider the scale, and a new $4k crotch rocket would be terrifying.

The 3 scooters are the equivalent of the walmart mountain bike, a bike shaped object with none of the refinement, reliability or engineering that goes into a $4k bike. You get what you pay for in motor vehicles and bicycles.

If cost is the object a lightly used hardtail bike will probably give you the best bang for your money followed by a more value oriented brand name for full suspension like a Diamondback or GT bike. You can usually get these with good suspension performance built for what you pay for a Santa Cruz or specialized frame. It is all in the perspective of what you want to pay, how you assess value and how you like to ride.

mtbr member
    The price is a result of making things lightweight and solid feeling. People demand that there's minimal unwanted flex and that it goes fast. They want their ability to ride trails to be flattered. The pricey stuff sort of comes with the promise that you can ride faster, longer, and look good doing it.

With many moving parts, most of the engineering comes down to improving tolerances. Bearings and axles need to fit perfectly. A solid performance-oriented fork might run you $400-750. A decent rear suspension adds at least that to the value.

People seem willing to pay high prices due to some of the boutique/prestige behind things. It's like a bourgeois status symbol. Easy to get caught up in it when you see others around you doing it.

mtbr member
    There's the old engineering rule of thumb working here too.

Light, strong, cheap.

You can only pick 2.

Na
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    This isn't really a fair assessment. This is 3 really crappy scooters, or 2 crappy dirt bikes. A name brand Vespa costs around $6k so a higher end bike is close to a Vespa as far as dollars go. A mid range honda dirt bike will cost you, what, $7-10K, again similar when you consider the scale, and a new $4k crotch rocket would be terrifying.

The 3 scooters are the equivalent of the walmart mountain bike, a bike shaped object with none of the refinement, reliability or engineering that goes into a $4k bike. You get what you pay for in motor vehicles and bicycles.

If cost is the object a lightly used hardtail bike will probably give you the best bang for your money followed by a more value oriented brand name for full suspension like a Diamondback or GT bike. You can usually get these with good suspension performance built for what you pay for a Santa Cruz or specialized frame. It is all in the perspective of what you want to pay, how you assess value and how you like to ride.
    Genuine and kymcos aren't cheap scooters, now if u want to compare cheap scooters to Walmart brand mtbs, then talk about taotao's chineese scooters.

mtbr member
    why does a mtb with dual shocks cost 1k more?
    You're not comparing apples to apples. Why does a Nissan Frontier cost less than $19k, and a GMC Sierra cost over $70k? Both are pickups. Both have one motor, one steering wheel. There's obviously a lot more to it. Same with bikes. There's a lot more that comes with that "extra shock" on a full suspension bike.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

Na
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    You're not comparing apples to apples. Why does a Nissan Frontier cost less than $19k, and a GMC Sierra cost over $70k? Both are pickups. Both have one motor, one steering wheel. There's obviously a lot more to it. Same with bikes. There's a lot more that comes with that "extra shock" on a full suspension bike.
    You compared wrong. Its nissan frontier vs chevy colorodo which both are bout the same price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    No, it isn't thousands of dollars. Fox recommends a service every 100 hours or once a year. It's about $350 for both front and rear. But imagine doing that every year.
    Fox rebuild kit is about $20 for the rear, $25 for the fork.

I don't know where people are going that they pay these sort of prices for a simple shock service, but you're getting boned.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

This place needs an enema
    You compared wrong. Its nissan frontier vs chevy colorodo which both are bout the same price.

you missed the point. deliberately, or so it seems.

mtbr member
    Well, that was kinda my point (maybe didn't come across as I meant). If you're going to compare bike costs, compare a hard tail with a hard tail... not a hard tail with a full suspension... or a Frontier to a Colorado, not a Frontier to a Sierra. There's more to it than just a Frontier being a foot or so longer than a Sierra that makes the Sierra more than 3 times the cost. Just as there's more to it than just a extra shock to make the difference between a hard tail and a full suspension. Like some have said, not only more parts, more engineering, but in many cases, also higher level components for non suspension related stuff. And yes, there's the supply and demand factor... if people want it and they buy it at what ever price, the market will go that direction. I'd also venture to guess that, like auto makers, they will maybe break even on the less expensive models, and make up for it on the other end. But, I do get what you're saying. And I assume many feel the way you do since there's still a good demand for hard tails for reasons other than some people just like them better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post

I don't know where people are going that they pay these sort of prices for a simple shock service, but you're getting boned.
    Push charges 125 for a shock rebuild, and 180 for a fork... so hes not that far off! No one really does quick fork oil changes. Thats a ~1 year service for a lot of guys, plus can and leg services in between.

Thats an assload of service money. Enough that you could just skip it entirely, rag out your gear and fully replace it every few years instead.
    WTB: Small aluminum hardtail 26 or 27.5 frame. Pm me!

Interplanetary Poultry
    What I want to know is, why do people pay $200 for a bowling ball? I mean, it's just a ball. Or how about $600 golf drivers? I mean seriously, it's a funny looking stick people.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrained View Post
    What I want to know is, why do people pay $200 for a bowling ball? I mean, it's just a ball. Or how about $600 golf drivers? I mean seriously, it's a funny looking stick people.
    ... or $600 for a mobile phone that you have to replace in 2 years because the battery no longer holds a charge and you can't swap its $15 battery...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Push charges 125 for a shock rebuild, and 180 for a fork... so hes not that far off! No one really does quick fork oil changes. Thats a ~1 year service for a lot of guys, plus can and leg services in between.
    Oh, I'm sure people charge it, I just can't believe people pay it!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If you don't want to pay for a decent bike then fine. Do your thing. Just don't take it down any real trails or wonder why your friends on decent bikes don't have to replace parts constantly.

Also suspension service.... I am my own wrench. It's fun and more importantly I'm too poor/cheap to pay for it. It's not hard. Some special tools needed but I did my own seal, oil change, and service rebuild on my xc bike fork a bit ago. YouTube ftw and a bit of problem solving until you get it work wonders.

Nothing at all against bike shops or service centers but if I can do it myself I will. Anyone can learn it.

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post

You think a guy complaining about how expensive fs are is going to disassemble his rear shock on his kitchen table? lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You think a guy complaining about how expensive fs are is going to disassemble his rear shock on his kitchen table? lol
    Good point!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.