4 10.26%
  • Helmet

18 46.15%
  • Other

17 43.59%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Action Cams: Preferred Mounting Style for Rocky Terrain

I'm sure this has been done before, but the subpar search came up with a big zero, so I'm posting this. What are your thoughts around the different mounts for action cameras and AM/technical trail style riding, specifically rough terrain? Which one do you prefer and why? Thanks.
    Last edited by BaeckerX1; 08-08-2011 at 04:28 PM.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

TXTony
    1. Handle Bar/Seat Post Mount. 2. Chesty Mount. based on the Gopro mounts..not a big fan of the helmet mount(view)

mtbr member
    I prefer the chest mount POV. Unfortunately the GoPro chest mount kit is very bouncy and I'm still researching the best way to fix this. The stock straps are just too stretchy

mtbr member
    I've heard the handlebar mounts are nice (and you don't have a weird thing on top of your head), but get too bouncy to watch when you hit the really rough stuff. I'm somewhat torn. From what I've seen, I like the handlebar mount PoV, but the helmet mount seems like much smoother video.
    LMB

Rookie
    Maybe a wrist mount? Like for any riding. Where a watch would be.
    That seems like an awesome POV.
    Ruder than you.
    Ska is not dead!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterD View Post
    Maybe a wrist mount? Like for any riding. Where a watch would be.
    That seems like an awesome POV.
    Heh. You would destroy your camera in a crash most likely and possibly jack up your wrist in the process. Not to mention that would get severely annoying to wear after awhile.
    LMB

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    Heh. You would destroy your camera in a crash most likely and possibly jack up your wrist in the process. Not to mention that would get severely annoying to wear after awhile.
    Okay okay, it may not be such a great idea. But it was fun to think about. Just don't crash or fall to your right side or wrist area...
    Ruder than you.
    Ska is not dead!

mtbr member
    I did a video from the seatpost facing forward. Works well if used in conjunction with other views. Shows suspension too.

mtbr member
    Seatpost mount (aka dickvision) is definitely the smoothest, but you have legs and the bike obscuring the view. Chest mount is great and helmet mount is great if aimed correctly and you are a smooth rider. To many head mounts aiming straight down at the top tube, handlebars leaving no forward view make a bad video.

Nice vid robncircus!
    I support the right of all Americans to keep and arm bears.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robncircus View Post
    I did a video from the seatpost facing forward. Works well if used in conjunction with other views. Shows suspension too.
    Nice video. But it doesn't shed much light on how it performs in AM use.

mtbr member
    Chest mount is out since I have a Contour HD and not a GoPro (shape of the camera not conducive to this). I ended up getting a helmet mount for now based on the fact that I think the handlebar mount will be way too shaky for rocky Colorado terrain. I'm just using it to document my brother's vacation when he comes out here to ride with me, and to make some vids for my friends back in Ohio. I'm not trying to get gnar points on the interwebs. I tested the POV on my helmet and I actually got a great forward viewpoint with it mounted (not aiming down at the ground), so I'm excited to use it. We'll see how it works out. Maybe I'll post a small sample vid after next week.

I'm not a fan of the between the legs view personally. As fortyounce stated, it obstructs the view far too much, especially if you want to capture the scenery that you're riding through.
    LMB

mtbr member
    I'm not a fan of the between the legs view personally. As fortyounce stated, it obstructs the view far too much, especially if you want to capture the scenery that you're riding through.
    True, but you don't want all your videos to look the same the whole way through, especially if you ride the same trails regularly. Different views accentuate different things, such as the suspension fork travel in the between the legs views, and can be used to help spice up your video. Stopping to move the camera doesn't sound fun, but you could try doing consecutive rides on the same trail with the camera in different spots and then combine all that material to make an even more interesting video.

If you have time to kill and if you want to do even more work, get a tripod adapter and a gorillapod. Then you can put the camera in different spots around the trail and ride back through

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fourtyounce View Post
    Seatpost mount (aka dickvision) is definitely the smoothest, but you have legs and the bike obscuring the view. Chest mount is great and helmet mount is great if aimed correctly and you are a smooth rider. To many head mounts aiming straight down at the top tube, handlebars leaving no forward view make a bad video.

Nice vid robncircus!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    Nice video. But it doesn't shed much light on how it performs in AM use.
    Fair enough. I mentioned that this would normally be used in conjunction with other views. I also think the suspension action is a neat view for chunky terrain. I made this video just as a trial vid. I think the best viseo use multiple views to keep it interesting. This may require multiple mounts, and lots of time, but the reward is great. I've also used helment and stem with good success.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Helmet or chest mount, point backwards at the fella behind you.

NOTE: If you don't have friends, this does not work.

mtbr member
    Chest mount is by far my preferred mount. Handlebar mount moves too quickly and if your in tight areas and have to move the bars a lot will make some people sick. Helmet is to high up and doesn't give a good feel for speed and height of objects.

It really depends on what your trying to make the video for?
    Last edited by Murchman; 08-11-2011 at 01:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Murchman View Post
    Helmet is to high up and does give a good feel for speed and height of objects.
    You probably meant it doesn`t

mtbr member
    Fixed, thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Murchman View Post
    Helmet is to high up and doesn't give a good feel for speed and height of objects.
    You probably meant "too" instead of "to".
    -- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

greedy
    Quote Originally Posted by sambs827 View Post
    Helmet or chest mount, point backwards at the fella behind you.

NOTE: If you don't have friends, this does not work.
    I usually put my Gopro on the seatpost of the rider in front of me facing backwards at me. You get a shot of his rear suspension working over the feature and then me coming off it. I only like this on trails that I know well and with a rider whom I'm familiar with, because the video turns out much better if you can stay close to them.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

greedy
    Also, when I'm by myself, I like the seatpost view facing forward. Even though the bike blocks the trail, the suspension, steering, braking, etc... make the video more interesting to me. Especially in slow technical sections that you have to pick your way through.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

mtbr member
    I'm sure this has been done before, but the subpar search came up with a big zero, so I'm posting this. What are your thoughts around the different mounts for action cameras and AM/technical trail style riding, specifically rough terrain? Which one do you prefer and why? Thanks.
    Have been using a Contour HD for just over a year now. The camera comes with a standard goggle strap mount and as my Xen doesn't really have a flat surface to use that mount, I used this on the chin strap at first, placing it over my ear. It really frustrated me as all my epic runs with the camera positioned in that way came out as S$%&. I read various reviews and spoke to other users of similar products and decided not to get other mounts, but rather bought another helmet. Bought a TSG Evolution to use the flat surface mount on and haven't had a single days trouble. When the trail gets rocky wrist cams, chest cams and bar cams imo will surely spend their time "tumble-drying". I find that with the helmet properly tightened it allows me to keep my head steady, providing me with a better quality recording and overall viewing experience.

mtbr member
    I removed the GoPro mount from the head strap and zip tied it to my Camelbak shoulder strap for most videos. Handlebar mounts have too much movement and vibration for my liking. I prefer this mid-level POV to a helmet mount and I believe it is more secure than the GoPro chest mount.

Action Cams: Preferred Mounting Style for Rocky Terrain-gopro-mount.jpg

Action Cams: Preferred Mounting Style for Rocky Terrain-247936_1638276331860_1685324407_1098430_1173478_n.jpg

For an even lower POV, I bolt a GoPro tripod mount to the Knolly upper shock mount hole.

More Info Here

Action Cams: Preferred Mounting Style for Rocky Terrain-knolly-gopro-mount.jpg

Action Cams: Preferred Mounting Style for Rocky Terrain-194178_1504553028861_1685324407_920079_5355960_o.jpg

If you think you can
    Quote Originally Posted by tmpaints View Post
    I removed the GoPro mount from the head strap and zip tied it to my Camelbak shoulder strap for most videos. Handlebar mounts have too much movement and vibration for my liking. I prefer this mid-level POV to a helmet mount and I believe it is more secure than the GoPro chest mount.

For an even lower POV, I bolt a GoPro tripod mount to the Knolly upper shock mount hole.
    Great ideas! I've been looking for ideas for a frame mount and I like the tripod adapter idea.

mtbr member
    That's a sweet mount on the Knolly.
    LMB

mtbr member
    I use my chest mount and record upside down and flip the camera upside down to get the right angle. Then, I use the still video enhance feature in power director 9 to still the video on real choppy sections. Works Mint! Here's a link to the first video I did... I've since corrected the camera angle to be more upright..

Mt Waldo - YouTube
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast