Thread: ? about stems

mtbr member

? about stems

first, my stem's stack height is around 41mm

the amount my fork sticks up past the spacer rings (when the stem is removed) is about 36.5mm

if i buy a new stem (i want one thats shorter, lengthwise), how far does the fork need to go up into the stem

could i use a stem thats stack height is say 38mm.

how does that all work?

also, the nut the bolt screws into (thats down in the fork, that holds the stem on), how is that set into place, and how do you move it/remove it.

one last ?, are the caps and bolts that hold the stem in place, all the same size, so long as youre comparing a 1 1/8" stem, to a 1 1/8th" stem

basically, if i get a new stem, will the cap/bolt that i have now, work with the new stem, or will the stem come with its own cap/bolt and nut, thats down in the fork

as you can see, i dont have a clue how all this works

thanks
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

RideDirt
    Just get a new stem, put it on , and your good to go. Adjust stack height accordingly and/or cut steere tube down if needed .

Its called a star nut , you dont have to touch all that . It goes in with a star nut tool .

mtbr member
    cool

thanks
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The star nut, bolt and cap will work seemlessly with any stem. If you go from a 41mm stack height to a 38mm stack height you may need to add a small spacer either under or over the stem to make up the difference .

mtbr member
    Be careful not to over torque the bolts on the stem. There's not a lot of material there and they will crack.