Thread: about size

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

about size

hello ,
    this is all mountain forum,defined more than xc less then dh...so what i want to know ,before buying new bike) how do you manage with the size of bike...what I mean... i have 192 cm and drive 22" kona ,now i wanna drive more agresivly downhill and i try 18" colier which is fr bike and suites me perfect for descending (small,agile,light)..but i dont wanna buy a pure dh /fr bike because I can't have 2 bikes and i love climbing and all day biking epics. so I will buy AM bike,...but what size for uphill is better bigger frame, for descendig is beter 2 numbers smaller frame so how get bouth diferent stuff get satisfied.
    is't compromise in bouth directions or a new frame gemetrics and shock systems can make peace between those two things.
    thanks

low speed, high drag
    Jan 2008
    If you're 192cm tall, I'd look for a 19-20" frame. I'm the same height and I ride a 19" bike. It's a bit small, but I like it that way, and it's a lot easier to adjust a smaller bike to fit you than the opposite. There are a lot of other factors other than seat tube height to look at such as top tube length, choice of stem length, handlebar rise, etc...

Chillin the Most
    I base the majority of my bikes off top tube measurement. I'm 6'4" (195cm) and currently ride an 07 Kona Coiler 19", but it has an effective toptube of 24.5" which is nice and roomy which I like. BTW, I also run a 60mm stem. IMO toptube is a bigger factor than seat tube length, unless the frame is so small you can run a long enough post to get full leg extension.