mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Abandoned Railbeds

I know it is illegal to ride on Railbeds in the United States. I was curious if it was also illegal to ride on abandoned ones?

From the looks of it there is a decent one to here closeby that is secluded in the woods. Might be interesting to try.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i would do a lttle recon see if it's posted no trespassing just to be sure, but in my experience old railbeds lead to trails off into the wood eventually

hithard
    It is not in Jersey. They are called Rail Trails.

Birthday Collector
    If the trail is posted "No Trespassing" or not posted at all - it might still be unpatrolled-enough to go do some exploring. The railbeds themselves are usually sorta boring - like a badly washboarded stretch of dirt road that never gets steeper than about 1% - 2% grade. It may however, access some good trails, like slowdave mentioned. One thing I would offer: If it is a "closed" or unmarked railway - do a quick inspection of any bridges the tracks go over before riding them (why was the railway line closed?). If it has been closed a long time, and the bridge has fallen into disrepair or rotted, it might be a long time before anyone finds you if you fell off/through one of them! Otherwise, could be some good exploring!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

bike rider
    Come on! How is riding on a flat, wide rail bed "all mountain"? Post in the right forum.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    Come on! How is riding on a flat, wide rail bed "all mountain"? Post in the right forum.
    Seriously.