mtbr member
    Jul 2007

90mm or 70mm stem for 1.5 steerer tube???

I didn't realize I was going to be limited with my choices. Just got a fork with a 1.5 inch steerer tube. Looks like most stems made for a 1.5 inch steerer tube are no longer than 50mm. Anyone know of any company who makes them a little longer?

ride
    I just did a quick look and found that Syncros does a 70 and the Truvativ AKA stem is available in 1cm increments from 60 to 100. Most of the other stems I found were 45-55.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

usually cranky
    truvativ, syncros, gravity.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    thanks guys...according to the website, looks the Syncros AM stem comes in a 60mm for the 1.5 inch steerer. Seems as though the Truvativ AKA comes in the most options....I just wonder about the AKA's durability as I'm a 250lb rider...will it take the abuse?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Verns22
    thanks guys...according to the website, looks the Syncros AM stem comes in a 60mm for the 1.5 inch steerer. Seems as though the Truvativ AKA comes in the most options....I just wonder about the AKA's durability as I'm a 250lb rider...will it take the abuse?
    I'm 225 and broken everything from frames to forks to handlebars....the only stem i've ever broken was just the faceplate of an fsa 1.5 stem, and even that was from a crash. If it's a 1.5 it's going to be designed to take some abuse. Why do you need such a long stem for all mountain use?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    @red...i have lots of torso...i use a 120mm stem on my cross country bike now...my new build will be a dedicated all mtn setup and youre right, i might not even need that much. im sure i will be playing with different length anyways...just want to make sure i get the most out of pedaling up hill and on all-dayers

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yeah, I am with Red, go with the 70mm over the 90.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    yeah...i've been told to try a 70 by most friends...looks like the Syncros comes in an 80 even...at least i know i have options

fan of maple syrup
    ....I just wonder about the AKA's durability as I'm a 250lb rider...will it take the abuse?
    I'm running the 70mm AKA 1.5, and weigh 225lbs (though this is dimishing thanks to a change in diet).

As for performance: I can't tell you if it's stiff or not - I struggle to comprehend the ability some folk have to determine the stiffness of every component of their bike just by riding. The only things I can accurately notice stifness of (or lack therein) is perhaps wheels, fork & rear end.

For what it's worth, when I turn my bars (Raceface Atlas FR's) the stem manages to correctly transfer this action into rotation of my alloy steerer (RS Lyrik 1.5) within the headset as expected, the motion of which is transferred though the crown, stanchions and lowers then subsequently directs the 20mm axle precisely parallel to the direction I'm wishing to go, in turn pointing my front wheel (Easton Havoc AM) in this direction.

So ... mission accomplished stem - nice work.

The only reason I'd replace it is because the new Easton Havoc 1.5 stem looks really nice, and I think I could safely lose 20mm of stem length.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    @Nuc...True Dat!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Raceface and Thomson are planning 75 and 95

Stems - Elite X4 - 31.8
    SM-E155 $99.95 1.5" x 0 x 45mm x 31.8mm handlebar
    SM-E158 $99.95 1.5" x 0 x 75mm x 31.8mm handlebar
    SM-E159 $99.95 1.5" x 0 x 95mm x 31.8mm handlebar

mtbr member
    May 2004
    If you bike has a 1.5" head tube, chances are it was meant to be a AM/FR bike, and like Dave Turner said about the RFX years ago...if you are running more than 70mm of stem on a 6" bike, you are on the wrong bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    If you bike has a 1.5" head tube, chances are it was meant to be a AM/FR bike, and like Dave Turner said about the RFX years ago...if you are running more than 70mm of stem on a 6" bike, you are on the wrong bike.
    My Cannondale Prophet has a 1.5 head tube and its no FR bike....AM yes but I find that statement from him wrong too...its whatever the person feels comfortable with...theres no set "standard" for how the cockpit is "supposed" to be..yes we all know dual crowns belong on DH bikes and XC bikes are supposed to be light..but tailoring the cockpit to fit your style shouldn't be criticized. What ever makes you comfortable...then do it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 2004sahara
    My Cannondale Prophet has a 1.5 head tube and its no FR bike....AM yes but I find that statement from him wrong too...its whatever the person feels comfortable with...theres no set "standard" for how the cockpit is "supposed" to be..yes we all know dual crowns belong on DH bikes and XC bikes are supposed to be light..but tailoring the cockpit to fit your style shouldn't be criticized. What ever makes you comfortable...then do it.
    Of course, horses for courses, bud!

Now, can you tell me what the two little holes are labeled for your rear suspension setup? Is it "XC" and "FR"?

Besides, the Prophet has a 1.5 because C'dal specs that for the lefty, a proprietary fork (albeit a very good one). Their fork standards mean that the frame standards are a bit different than the rest of the market.

As for the OP, I'd suggest grabbing a Truvativ cheapie in about each size...try them all. I have a 35/40/50/60/70/90 collection, which means that I can dial in my bike's playfulness to the desired extent. Granted, it is a lot easier/cheaper to get a 1 1/8 version of each, just due to the market.

mtbr member
    I actually have my rear shock in the FR positon and along with my 160mm fork it does slack it out for FR riding but I guess when I see FR I think bikes that are alot beefier like the Gemini etc. (althought the prophet is built well.) Thats why I said that. Although the prophet MX is more suited for the FR role due to its stronger construction and all. I have a 40mm stem and its way to short....prob gonna go 60 or 70mm to lengthen my reach a little.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    thanks yates...thats a lil more like it...the Thomson will be an awesome option...but I think I'll wait to see what Race Face will offer. I've ran and currently run their components now and they have withstood my abuse

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    thanks yates...thats a lil more like it...the Thomson will be an awesome option...but I think I'll wait to see what Race Face will offer. I've ran and currently run their components now and they have withstood my abuse
    I meant that Thomson only were coming out with new stems, Race Face make the D2 which is available in 1.5 x 70mm.

You might also consider SYNTACE Force 1.5, details below:

Force 1.5 with Litecap 1.5 (w/o screw)

Accessories
    Reduction shim for 1 1/8"-forks, Ti bolt kit for handlebar and shaft clamp

Lengths & Weights
    (incl. steel bolts)
    55 mm: 144 g
    75 mm: 159 g
    95 mm: 165 g
    115 mm: 180 g

Lengths & Weights
    (incl. optional ti bolts)