Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Infidel

9 Speed 12-36 Cassette / Who's done this? How do you like it? Any issues?

I want to go to a 12-36 9 speed cassette. I've yearned for a 36t option in the rear for some time now but have been hesitant to flip for a new derailleur, shifter, and cassette because it's a pretty spendy project. I've learned that I can purchase a CS-HG61 12-36 Shimano cassette in 9 speed but it will add about a 1/4 pound to the bike by doing so. Another option would be to purchase the CS-HG61 and a SRAM PG-990 11-32 cassette. I would then add the 36t to the SRAM cassette and remove the 11t. I would then have a 9 speed 12-36 drivetrain for a fraction of the price of going 10 speed. Who's done this? How do you like it? Have you had any unforeseen issues?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i have both setups- the Shimano cassette on one of my back wheels, and a regular casette with that 36t cog from ebay on the other, i took off the second tallest cog and used the stock 11t lockring so i could still keep that highest gear; there is somewhat of a gear gap bteween the 11t and the 15t on that one, but i never notice, i never spend much time in the 2d-to 3-d highest gears anyway.Works fine no issues at all. The wiight increase with the cassette is more than compensated for by the lower gearing, climbing feels like a time machine! i call it my "secret weapon"

usually cranky
    unless you have some brutal hills i cant imagine not being to motor up something in a 22x34.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    unless you have some brutal hills i cant imagine not being to motor up something in a 22x34.

most do this to run 1x9 with a 36tooth in the back. i have it on two bikes. zero issues. the shimano 36 tooth is higher quality than the ebay single and the whole cog hg61 costs as much as that single. i run the shimano 36 with my sram cassette. works mint. saves on going 10 speed for now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i run my 36t cog with dual up front. Just makes the climbing easier for my 220 lb self on my 37 lb bike. And there are some steep hills around here.

T.W.O
    Nothing steep around me, can get up everything on a 32 and hardly ever need to.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by KYMtnBkr
    I want to go to a 12-36 9 speed cassette. I've yearned for a 36t option in the rear for some time now but have been hesitant to flip for a new derailleur, shifter, and cassette because it's a pretty spendy project. I've learned that I can purchase a CS-HG61 12-36 Shimano cassette in 9 speed but it will add about a 1/4 pound to the bike by doing so.
    Agreed, the HG61 is heavy. I ran with one that came on one of my rides for ~1 year. Having the 36t was useful on a limited basis for major climbs...

The other approach is to go with a compact crank and smaller chain rings up front. I run 38/32/20 (94/58 BCD) and a 12-34t cassette on one of my 29er's now, and 44/32/22 with 12-34t cassette on the other.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

OSM
    mtbr member
    This is a nice option I never thought of. I run a single ring 40t up front and have been considering dropping 2-4 teeth for a little climbing advantage. I can hammer up 5000' + in the 40t, but don't want to lose any top speed. Being able to pedal to 40mph is a daily goal and a challenge.
    Bicycles D'opinion/ COMMENCAL /Principat D'Andorra

Beer swillin' rabble ridr
    Aug 2008
    I use the hg61 took off the 12t replaced w 11t. Eff the weight, I just pedal the mother. Weight is in center of wheel anyway. Ultimate and cheap 1x9 setup IMHO ---YMMV
    Drink beer all day

mtbr member
    I run hg61 with my hammerschmidt and have no complaints... being a little heavy in not an issue I don't race...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Which one rear derailleur can handle a 12-36 cassette (9 speeds) ?

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    Any long cage, probably most medium cages, and only short cages if you're running a single ring up front?

At least that's what I would suspect.
    My Trifecta: Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro, Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC70, eBay Carbon Hardtail

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KYMtnBkr
    I want to go to a 12-36 9 speed cassette. I've yearned for a 36t option in the rear for some time now but have been hesitant to flip for a new derailleur, shifter, and cassette because it's a pretty spendy project. I've learned that I can purchase a CS-HG61 12-36 Shimano cassette in 9 speed but it will add about a 1/4 pound to the bike by doing so. Another option would be to purchase the CS-HG61 and a SRAM PG-990 11-32 cassette. I would then add the 36t to the SRAM cassette and remove the 11t. I would then have a 9 speed 12-36 drivetrain for a fraction of the price of going 10 speed. Who's done this? How do you like it? Have you had any unforeseen issues?
    11-34 cassettes are plentiful, and have more range (by 9%) so I think you'd be better off just going with smaller rings up front instead.

mtbr member
    I will convert my 11-34 XT 9 speed cassette to 12-36 for 30 bucks and I'm psyched.
    F*** 10 speed!

http://cgi.ebay.com/36-Tooth-Cog-Mou...item3a64a7060c

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    34/11 = 3.09:1 difference from the largest cog to the smallest
    36/12 = 3:1 difference.

So that conversion gives you 9% less difference between the big cog and the little cog.

That seems like a step backward. Keeping the same cassette and going to a smaller chainring up front would give you the lower ratio you're looking for from 36t cog, without sacrificing any range.

EDIT: Or better yet, drop a gear from the middle when you install the 36t cog (keep the 11t), so you get lower gear for climbing AND a wider range.

EDIT AGAIN: In fact, I want to do that. Has anyone tried one of those 36t cogs? If they work well, I'll take two.

mtbr member
    I just want a lower low. I don't care about the range or the 11 tooth, but you are right I could take off a middle cog.

I thought 22 was the smallest ring for a standard crank. How do you get a 20 to fit?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    smilin steve, just an fyi. I bought that single cog, afew months ago, and its already so worn the chain skips. I usually dont wear out a cassette cog that fast, the chain I put on at the same sime still has little wear. It might not be as durable as a normal cog. How about this for just a little more: http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-CS-HG6...8285657&sr=8-1 . I put it on my other wheel around that time and its still fine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NWS View Post
    That seems like a step backward. Keeping the same cassette and going to a smaller chainring up front would give you the lower ratio you're looking for from 36t cog, without sacrificing any range..

True, but some bikes just pedal better (less pedal feedback) in middle ring, so a lower cog lets you keep it in the middle ring in many situations, instead of going to granny.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Action tec makes 20 and 21 tooth rings for standard (64) crank.

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I just want a lower low. I don't care about the range or the 11 tooth, but you are right I could take off a middle cog.

I thought 22 was the smallest ring for a standard crank. How do you get a 20 to fit?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    how about this? 36t cog, 20t granny ring!

wuss
    I currently run 1x9 with 28t in the front and 11-32 in the back. Will swap to 32 in the front but want similar ratio for climbs so 36 in the rear is tempting.

How's the spider in that 12-36? I understood xt or better is the way to go with an aluminum cassette body so that the spider does not dig into it?

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    how about this? 36t cog, 20t granny ring!
    I dunno, do you really really like steep climbs?

With 22/34 I already feel like I'm not making enough forward progress to justify the energy it takes just to move my feet so fast. I'm going to remove my granny ring this weekend. Already ditched the big one for a bash ring, so the front derailleur is coming off too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i wasnt serious, pedaling that gear would feel like a time machine! thats the lowest gear possible, I'll bet someone's done it.

Quote Originally Posted by NWS View Post
    I dunno, do you really really like steep climbs?

With 22/34 I already feel like I'm not making enough forward progress to justify the energy it takes just to move my feet so fast. I'm going to remove my granny ring this weekend. Already ditched the big one for a bash ring, so the front derailleur is coming off too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    smilin steve, just an fyi. I bought that single cog, afew months ago, and its already so worn the chain skips. I usually dont wear out a cassette cog that fast, the chain I put on at the same sime still has little wear. It might not be as durable as a normal cog. How about this for just a little more: http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-CS-HG6...8285657&sr=8-1 . I put it on my other wheel around that time and its still fine.
    The HG -61 is too heavy, but I read about someone who took the 36 off the HG-61 and added it to his XT cassette. That might be a more durable option than what I did, but too late, its paid for.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast