Litespeeds Rule
    Jan 2005

80mm Travel Front Forks -Can They Still Be Found?

I have an unbuilt '00 Litespeed Pisgah that I am finally getting around to building up. I actually got it on '02 from my LBS and then moved twice since then. Money and time have been short for quite some time. Finally, I am happy to say, I have a tad bit more of both now.

Frame geometry on the '00 Pisgah was made for an 80mm front fork. I am wondering if they can still be bought today, and if so, are there any decent ones still available? If price is a factor, then I'd like to stick in the $300 ballpark.

Appreciate any advice in my hunt for a front fork that may or may not be happening for me.

Frank

mtbr member
    Fox F80. Cracking little fork.

http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_bicycle/bike_index.htm

not too sure it'll fit your price limit, although here in the UK bike stuff tends to cost roughly twice as much as it does in the US

Have a look around, you might be able to find a deal on an 06.

Another Frank

mtbr member
    Xfusions feltforks have internaly adjustable travel.

http://www.x-fusion-shox.com/

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Check out the Manitou R7. They feel like more than 80mm forks but they are not. They are 1/2 pound lighter than the Fox (of which I have, both 2007 and 2008 models). And they are pretty inexpensive overall. Actually, all fork makers make one 80mm fork, RockShox has the SID, Manitou R7, Marzocchi Corsa/Marathon, WHite Bros. has one, Magura has a new one. I'd look for a slightly used one on ebay for a good deal.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    also the RS Reba can be set to the travel you want with internal spacers

Litespeeds Rule
    Jan 2005
    Wow, a bunch of choices! Thanks fellas. Now I just gotta check out their sites and see what these shocks are all about.

Thanks,

Frank

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I didn't know bikes still used 80mm forks. I have a 80mm Marz Atom Bomber (I think I bought it new in 2002 or so- have to check). It was too little travel for my ST that I bought it for so I just kept it after replacing it with a 100mm. Do they still make HTs or frames that use 80mm forks?

Litespeeds Rule
    Jan 2005
    One more question to get me back up to speed. Oil dampening vs. air/spring/coil. What's the real deal on that?

Thanks,

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by murocflyer
    One more question to get me back up to speed. Oil dampening vs. air/spring/coil. What's the real deal on that?

Thanks,

Frank
    most of the forks use oil dampening so nowadays that's a "given"

suspension springs (what holds your weight) can be spring or coil.... just choose your poison

Litespeeds Rule
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    most of the forks use oil dampening so nowadays that's a "given"

suspension springs (what holds your weight) can be spring or coil.... just choose your poison
    I see. Thanks. Looking forward to getting back in the "game." I have noticed a number of changes since I've been away.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by murocflyer
    I see. Thanks. Looking forward to getting back in the "game." I have noticed a number of changes since I've been away.

Frank
    no prob! the important thing is to get back on the trails

Litespeeds Rule
    Jan 2005
    I expect I'll be out hitting the trails in about 3 weeks. My LBS is not so local, so I have to take a day off to go get my CK headset installed. I should have found a fork by then, unless I wait until I see what they have available there.

Can't wait!

Frank

Litespeeds Rule
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Franz
    Fox F80. Cracking little fork.

http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_bicycle/bike_index.htm

not too sure it'll fit your price limit, although here in the UK bike stuff tends to cost roughly twice as much as it does in the US

Have a look around, you might be able to find a deal on an 06.

Another Frank
    Thanks Franz. Now I see why you said find a deal on an '06. They are pricey, aren't they. They do look like good forks though. I'll keep my eye out.

Frank

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    don't automatically assume an 80 mm fork is the best choice for the pisgah. there are many old hardtails out that were 'designed around' the 80mm forks that predominated back then, but in fact can work extremely well with a modern 100 mm fork.

why?

a. axle to crown distance is what determines the effect on geo, not the amount of travel per se.

b. choosing the right stem/bar geometry can make the handling work well with the slightly taller fork.

c. some XC riders prefer to run a 100 mm fork and use a little more sag (sag is the amount of travel used when in a neutral riding position on a flat section). this mean the bike geometry is very similar to what would result from using an 80 mm fork with little sag, but gives you more negative travel and a plusher ride on rough sections. this is another reason (besides the weight savings) that an air-sprung fork is a good choice -- it allows you to really fine-tune the feel of the fork depending on where you're riding w/o having to swap out springs.

good luck.

Litespeeds Rule
    Jan 2005
    Thanks for the info frorider. I focused on the 80mm fork only because Litespeed said that is how they designed the bike -for use with an 80mm fork. Having the 100mm option sure opens up my choices.

Frank