mtbr member
    Aug 2008

80mm stems (1 1/8)

So I'm looking for a new stem in 80mm version, so far the only ones that I found in that length are the syncros AM stem, the Answer Rove AM stem and the Truvativ aka...

Do you guys know any other options?
    Guess out of the 3 stems above I would go with the Answer stem, since I'm using 725mm bars and the answer looks like it has a slightly wider clamp, might only appear this way on pictures though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thomson X4 comes in 80mm versions. Somehow it doesn't seems to be as common as their other lengths.

usually cranky
    control tech, fsa, gusset, too. maybe there is more but yeah, fairly uncommon size.

mtbr member
    I recently decided to get an 80mm stem. I went with a Ritchey WCS 4-axis 44 -> http://www.ritcheylogic.com/dyn_prodfamily.php?k=355371
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm using the AKA stem in 70mm with 710mm bars. No issues for me and I'm 215lb. What are your concerns?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kresj
    So I'm looking for a new stem in 80mm version, so far the only ones that I found in that length are the syncros AM stem, the Answer Rove AM stem and the Truvativ aka...

Do you guys know any other options?
    Guess out of the 3 stems above I would go with the Answer stem, since I'm using 725mm bars and the answer looks like it has a slightly wider clamp, might only appear this way on pictures though.

I second your choice for the Rove. the wider the clamp the better.
    Running bars from 710 - 760mm. Any stems with less than 50mm wide clamp width just arent very confidence inspiring imo.

the WALKING DEAD
    Jun 2006
    I'm using a 80mm Sunline V1 stem. Only $45 at huck n roll, or wait for it on chainlove and get it for @$30. Its a nice stem and a good price right now.
    Your momma's so nasty, she keeps ice between her legs just to keep the crabs fresh.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    thanks for the input guys, the sunline V1 AM stem looks pretty good too, specially at that price, I can only find it in grey though, not in black...

I didn't know Thomson X4 comes in 80mm but the clamp on those is pretty standard too right? I like the wider clamp on the Rove AM, so guess I'll end up going with that one...
    I don't have any experience with any answer products yet though, fingers crossed.

usually cranky
    in me experiance answer makes fantastic stuff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    so you reckon it's just as good as the thomson x4?

usually cranky
    no experience with the thomson. people here love them but i think they get a little over hyped because of the name. but i dont think you can go wrong with answer.