mtbr member
    Feb 2011

700c tubes in 26 tires?

700c tubes in 26*1.95" tires.

Tubes are expensive (relatively) at the local bike shop. I've been running tubeless for a year with specialized eskar26* 2.3" tires on a 2010 enduro. I bought this bike after a long break from raising kids. I sometimes wish I had chosen a more xc oriented trail bike that climbs with less effort. I've been using propedal switchwith slight climbing improvement. I upgraded to lyrik rc2l dual position air with floodgate which also leads to slight improvement on climbs. I like the ride quality of the large 2.3" tires. But for improved climbing and energy conservation should I get renegade sworks 2.3" semi slicks or smaller diameter ground control sworks in2.3", 2.1", or 1.9"? I also have 1.95" small block 8 which I'll try first. I've had good traction with these on hardpack bmx conditions I will end up running stans tubeless again once I' ve decided which tire is most efficient. I have many years of bike handling skills so I'm not bothered by a slippery tire in the Utah summers. while I'm trying these diffrent tires i would like to use 700c tubes because they are the only prestas i can get at walmart fir half price of ls tubes. Anyone try making these tubes work? also i would value opinions on the tires i mentioned and go easy they go uphill. thanks C Tubes are expensive (relatively) at the local bike shop. I've been running tubeless for a year with specialized eskar26* 2.3" tires on a 2010 enduro. I bought this bike after a long break from raising kids. I sometimes wish I had chosen a more xc oriented trail bike that climbs with less effort. I've been using propedal switchwith slight climbing improvement. I upgraded to lyrik rc2l dual position air with floodgate which also leads to slight improvement on climbs. I like the ride quality of the large 2.3" tires. But for improved climbing and energy conservation should I get renegade sworks 2.3" semi slicks or smaller diameter ground control sworks in2.3", 2.1", or 1.9"? I also have 1.95" small block 8 which I'll try first. I've had good traction with these on hardpack bmx conditions I will end up running stans tubeless again once I' ve decided which tire is most efficient. I have many years of bike handling skills so I'm not bothered by a slippery tire in the Utah summers. while I'm trying these diffrent tires i would like to use 700c tubes because they are the only prestas i can get at walmart fir half price of ls tubes. Anyone try making these tubes work? also i would value opinions on the tires i mentioned and go easy they go uphill. thanks C

Bike Geek
    Uh No...buy regular tubes. Don't skimp on your bike.
    RIP AL DAVIS

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Tubes are cheap, I carry a spare spesh one,all the LBS had, (running tubeless) it was about $8. never tried a 700c tube on 26" wheel before but I would imagine its going to start folding over itself and not inflate properly.
    If Utah is dry I like Racing Ralphs rear / Nobby Nic on front or both Ralphs - very fast rolling and good grip - but hopeless in mud or on wet rooty stuff. Be warned if you think tubes are expensive, Schwalbe tires price will give you heart attack

mtbr member
    First off buy the proper size tubes, period. Go back to tubeless asap, trust me, you'll hate yourself if you don't. I've got a long humorous story about two flats (with tubes), a swarm of pissed off mosquitos, and how it took me over half an hour to put two spare tubes in my wheels, running in circles flailing my arms in the air like a madman getting eaten alive, cursing and swearing the entire time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Cut out the over long part and tie a knot in either end
    I've done it before for a thorn puncture to get me back to the truck
    I wouldn't recommend it for any kind of abuse or longevity

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I just bought a bunch of sealant. I hate tubes now. All they do is go flat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by championp View Post

Tubes are expensive (relatively) at the local bike shop. I've been running tubeless for a year with specialized eskar26* 2.3" tires on a 2010 enduro. I bought this bike after a long break from raising kids. I sometimes wish I had chosen a more xc oriented trail bike that climbs with less effort. I've been using propedal switchwith slight climbing improvement. I upgraded to lyrik rc2l dual position air with floodgate which also leads to slight improvement on climbs. I like the ride quality of the large 2.3" tires. But for improved climbing and energy conservation should I get renegade sworks 2.3" semi slicks or smaller diameter ground control sworks in2.3", 2.1", or 1.9"? I also have 1.95" small block 8 which I'll try first. I've had good traction with these on hardpack bmx conditions I will end up running stans tubeless again once I' ve decided which tire is most efficient. I have many years of bike handling skills so I'm not bothered by a slippery tire in the Utah summers. while I'm trying these diffrent tires i would like to use 700c tubes because they are the only prestas i can get at walmart fir half price of ls tubes. Anyone try making these tubes work? also i would value opinions on the tires i mentioned and go easy they go uphill. thanks C Tubes are expensive (relatively) at the local bike shop. I've been running tubeless for a year with specialized eskar26* 2.3" tires on a 2010 enduro. I bought this bike after a long break from raising kids. I sometimes wish I had chosen a more xc oriented trail bike that climbs with less effort. I've been using propedal switchwith slight climbing improvement. I upgraded to lyrik rc2l dual position air with floodgate which also leads to slight improvement on climbs. I like the ride quality of the large 2.3" tires. But for improved climbing and energy conservation should I get renegade sworks 2.3" semi slicks or smaller diameter ground control sworks in2.3", 2.1", or 1.9"? I also have 1.95" small block 8 which I'll try first. I've had good traction with these on hardpack bmx conditions I will end up running stans tubeless again once I' ve decided which tire is most efficient. I have many years of bike handling skills so I'm not bothered by a slippery tire in the Utah summers. while I'm trying these diffrent tires i would like to use 700c tubes because they are the only prestas i can get at walmart fir half price of ls tubes. Anyone try making these tubes work? also i would value opinions on the tires i mentioned and go easy they go uphill. thanks C
    Price Point Tube - Set of 5 at Price Point