mtbr member
    Jun 2010

661 EVO Knee or POC Joint Knee

Having serious problem figuring out which pad is better buy.

I can buy the 661 Evo Knee at the lbs for $ 86.00 out the door.

Or from what I can tell I can pay over $100.00 for the Poc Joint Knee Online and wait who Knows how long for them to arrive.

Any feedback would greatly help, I need to figure it out pretty quick here my knees cant afford to take any more punishment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have the 661 EVO's. I like them. Haven't gone down hard on them, but it's comforting to know they are there. I think I paid about $80. There was a review of them in Bike a few issues back, as well as the POC, but if I recall, it basically said bla bla bla bla. As far as a "better buy". It's only a $20 difference. That's about 10 perkosets, if you know what I mean. I'd support the LBS, and that way you can try them on. I ordered mine on line, and had to trade them out for a diff size. pain in the ass.

mtbr member
    20 bucks is pretty moot as far as difference in price. If you can try them both on, get the one that fits better. I have the evo pads and they fit me great and are very comfortable, but it may not be the same for you. As far as protection, I've had a few crashes with them and they seem to do the job pretty well. Not sure If I would trust a soft pad with a direct hit from a rock, but it would be much better than not wearing them.

mtbr member
    tried the EVOs. comfy but the perforated sleeves wore too quickly for me and I would snag 'em on my flats' pins (rider error). The pad would do its job though. Eventually, I went back to using the Straits. They seem to be more durable for me and in the heat after 10min. into a ride I can't really tell if one is better than the other..
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Try them on. They fit different. Otherwise they work about the same.

mtbr member
    the d3o and VPD materials are not the same despite many people thinking so. they react to impacts very similarly but the VPD has a property that the d3o does not; when warmed up (like when sitting next to your body) the material is able to conform to the shape it is against.

imo this makes the POC joints more likely to be more comfortable to many people. more so than the EVO's which are just a flat sheet cut in a way to help it conform to a shape that is going to be unique for every person.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm wondering about ventilation/heat differences between the two. Assuming probably very minor, if any difference?

Both staying in position well? Behind the knee rubbing?

Interested to try the POCs but unable to see in person. Have seen the elbows and like the idea of the malleable padding.

Lastly anyone have a good idea on sizing differences? I fit Mediums or slightly larger in the Evos. Should I choose Medium or Large in the POCs?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robnow
    I'm wondering about ventilation/heat differences between the two. Assuming probably very minor, if any difference?

Both staying in position well? Behind the knee rubbing?

Interested to try the POCs but unable to see in person. Have seen the elbows and like the idea of the malleable padding.

Lastly anyone have a good idea on sizing differences? I fit Mediums or slightly larger in the Evos. Should I choose Medium or Large in the POCs?
    i rode M kyle straits and am currently on L POC's. sizing is comparable between those.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Well I've used both and I crash a lot, here's my take, real simple -
    POC's give considerably more protection, the VPD shields you from impacts better.
    - 4 good falls on them, very good impact absorption
    - They stap put! Rubberized material around the top cuff where it sits on our leg gets mad grip to keep them from sliding around
    - Substantially more protection for your knee, above and below and on the sides.
    - Can still pedal around trails on them but they're a little warmer than the EVO's

661 EVO's -
    - Good protection but you can definitely feel impacts through them, some people I ride with have had substantial bruising through them on fairly mild impacts.
    - When new the EVO's really stayed put but within a few months of use they started to slide a lot. I lost most of the skin on my right knee on a crash similar to what I've taken on the POC's where the POC's did not move at all.
    - Breath very well. I don't mind the EVOs on long rides, even in fairly warm weather.

I really like this soft padding stuff, I hope 661 refines the EVO to sit still a little better and increases the thickness of the padding slightly.

For now, POC is KING.

(I have no affiliation with POC or 661)

Proof of recent usage of the POCs -

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    As the previous poster mentioned, the Evo's tend to move around a bit. I definitely agree. Both my buddy and I have had ours somewhat pushed down below our knees after a crash and ended up pretty tore up. They were both secured and tight, but they just seem to want to move. I was thinking that we both just actually had a size too large, but I'm not sure now that I hear about others experiences with the evo's. I like the pads...i just wish mine would not move.

One of my friends has quite a bit of poc gear, and while it's pricey, it seems really well made. I've been considering going with a poc combo knee/shin.....I'm wondering if they would stay in place better than just knee only.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Appreciate the responses.

One more question from me...Are the POCs longer than the Evos or pretty much the same in coverage? Same bulk between the two?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    POC's are the go!! I had both Straits and Evo's prior, and I have the scars to prove it. Sliding crashes with the 661 stuff you are guaranteed to still lose skin, not so with the poc's. better fit and longer...and dont slide down!!

7hz
    Old newbie
    661 Evos are ok in warm weather, even all day. However, they loosen up over a month or two of use, so if you buy the size that fits, you may find they are too loose after a while, and the velcro straps can only do so much to tighten them up. I'm thinking of sewing mine up to take up the slack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    POC provide more protection and would not go back to Kyle Strait.