JGR
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

6" rear travel + 6lbs = $1000 Difficult equation

Hi,

This WE there was the Mégavalanche of l'Alpe d'Huez (French enduro race), it was fun but I fissured the steering column of my Tomac Six Shooter (link) so I "should" buy a new frame.

I want ~6" of rear travel for 6 - 6.5lbs. Unfortunately I'm not well off so I could pay arround $1000.

Everybody say "SC HECKLER !!!", ok ok it's a good frame but it's too common...
    As U understood with my bad English I'm French, I'll be in California in 2 weeks for holiday so I want come back with an original frame.

Could U recommand me a frame and/or a shop where I could find my happiness ?

Thanks in advance
    If U brake too soon U are a coward... If U brake too late U make love with the ground or a tree

mtbr member

Well

As the old saying goes, cheap, light, strong; pick two. There aren't too many light 6" frames and a 6" under 6.5lbs frame is even rarer, when you add the sub $1000 price about the only options that may come close would be a used old 6" SC bullit or new 6" Mountain Cycle San Andreas, either one with an air shock.

a tight kick sound
    Man this statement made me almost spew my drink all over the puter! Too funny
    "Could U recommand me a frame and/or a shop where I could find my happiness ?"
    How do you feel about a used frame?
    The specs you are asking for are a little tight to come by?

There are quite a few frames that are 5-5.5 inches of travel that weigh around 6.5 lbs?
    Are you set on 6 inches?

Booner

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yeti 575? 5.75", 6.2 lbs, 1400$ brand new but you could probably get a used one cheaper.

mtbr member

maybe a little heavey but you like Tomacs

Quote Originally Posted by JGR
    Hi,

This WE there was the Mégavalanche of l'Alpe d'Huez (French enduro race), it was fun but I fissured the steering column of my Tomac Six Shooter (link) so I "should" buy a new frame.

I want ~6" of rear travel for 6 - 6.5lbs. Unfortunately I'm not well off so I could pay arround $1000.

As U understood with my bad English I'm French, I'll be in California in 2 weeks for holiday so I want come back with an original frame.

Thanks in advance

maybe a little heavey but they have some great frame offers and you dont have to go to California and lug it all the way back and pay import tax into Europe

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=7695

JGR
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I know 6" - 6lb is the dream, it's just to quicky describe my wish... my Tomac offered "officially" 6" and weights 6.5lbs...

I want at least 5" and at maximum 7lbs. I'll install my Z1 FR1 150mm on the frame so it should be design for 6" fork.

I'm open for an unsold '05 frame, I don't know if there is this kind of sale in USA.

@le0p
    Yeti 575, no thanks, two friends ride with this frame...and broke one.

@mzungo
    I'll send the frame through the postal service and underreport the value -> no import tax
    If U brake too soon U are a coward... If U brake too late U make love with the ground or a tree

mtbr member
    Salut JGR. Je suis portuguais, donc pardon pour mon français. J`ai un copain qui a fait cette avalanche, ç`est super.Bon, peut-être tu as deja vu mais il existe une marque espagnole qui s`appelle Mondraker, et ils ont un modele avec 150mm arriere, je pense que ç`est le Foxy.Il ya beaucoup ici en Portugal, je suis sure que ç`est un cadre trés fort, et son aspect est pas mauvais. Le prix seulement du ce cadre avec un manitou derriere (pas sure) ç`est 850 € neuf. Tu peut chercher à Mondraker.com. Bonne chance

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Hi,

Thanks in advance
    If you can squeeze out another $500, I highly recommend this deal, Turner RFX for $1395 at Beyond Bikes.

http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ItemMa...X&MatrixType=1

I can't believe I'm recommending it, but it's a very good bike especially at this price. Otherwise, the SC Heckler is a no brainer, very hard to beat for the money.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Cambria has some 6" Ventana El Chamuco Frames for about $800

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=26933

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    Cambria has some 6" Ventana El Chamuco Frames for about $800

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=26933
    Nice frame but my size small weighed 8 lbs.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

Oh, So Interesting!
    $1000 budget...

Chillin the Most
    How about a Marin? Adrenaline Bikes has the frame on sale for $699. Check out Marins site http://www.marinbikes.com/bicycles_2...ack_trail.html

Oh, So Interesting!
    Yeti 575, no thanks, two friends ride with this frame...and broke one.

Ummm, if the 575 isnt strong enough for you, maybe you should consider getting a heavier duty frame? (Which will weigh more)

JGR
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks guys, in spite of your interesting advises my choice turns to the Heckler, enough travel, light and cheap.

small member
    Jun 2006
    How satisfied were you with the Tomac...
    I'm considering one.
    Would you buy it again?

JGR
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I was completely satisfied of my Tomac. Unfortunately it isn't distibuted in France anymore. I don't know in USA but I've ordered a SC Heckler frame last Monday in Cupertino (CA) because I want change and SC is distributed in France "seriously".

Nevertheless buy a Tomac Six Shooter will be a good choice if u like the downhill but also go up with it.