Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6-foot drops?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

6-foot drops?

Does anyone know of or have experience with 6-foot drops on a full suspension stumpy? I have a stock 2011 Stumpjumper Elite (full suspension with mini brain) and have been eyeing a 6-foot drop on my favourite trail, but don't want to find out the hard way whether or not the bike can handle it (so yes, this has to already assume that I can, haha). I've heard that 4-foot drops are okay, but don't know about 6-foot drops on it.

As well, if this is a go (meaning wheels, forks, and frame can handle it), what's the set up most have used in terms of psi and or suspension settings?

Appreciate any suggestions.

mtbr member
    how heavy are you? 6ft to flat ground or downhill landing?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    my bad, forgot to include:
    i'm 205 lbs and landing area is relatively flat with a very slight decline

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I would avoid it. Flat landings are always hard on a bike, especially when the rider is 205 pounds. If you are super smooth with a trials or bmx background, you could probably get away with it here and there. If not, you're just asking for trouble. It might not break right away, but you've stressed it and shortened its life. If you plan on replacing the bike at the end of the year, you might be ok.

mtbr member
    It's not like the bike's going to burst into flames the first time you try it, but that's asking an awful lot out of what's really an XC bike. If you want to ride that kind of stuff at all regularly, you'd be a lot better off on something burlier.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    thanks for the warnings, will pay heed.

what about 4-foot drops to flat ground? could the stumpy take it or is that just an exaggeration? i bought it with the intention of abusing it, but not breaking it so still trying to figure out its real-life limitations rather than theoretical. i'm getting more interested in jumps now than i thought i would, but not looking to do any hero like stuff, just have some fun without breaking the bank again.

mtbr member
    agree with the other posts. you and your bike, with skills, would probably be fine the first few times you send that. The problem is when you land it clean AND you have a giant grin on your face you'll hit that line EVERY time after & if you don't have the right set-up you might be asking a little too much of your bike and it'll get mad at you and stack you on the floor especially if it's pretty much to flat.

not familiar with that frame. Is that the 150mm rear travel Stumpy? I'd probably dial up your suspension settings before you drop that. Sounds like you're about to have a s..tload more fun though!
    Last edited by 53119; 08-17-2011 at 08:17 AM.

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Quote Originally Posted by weekendthrasher View Post
    thanks for the warnings, will pay heed.

what about 4-foot drops to flat ground? could the stumpy take it or is that just an exaggeration? i bought it with the intention of abusing it, but not breaking it so still trying to figure out its real-life limitations rather than theoretical. i'm getting more interested in jumps now than i thought i would, but not looking to do any hero like stuff, just have some fun without breaking the bank again.
    I've got a 07 Stumpy and regularly hip 3-4ft drops and some doubles.No problems with it. Picked up an Enduro and wow what a big difference. Soaks it all up.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

mtbr member
    I think your bike's name sake pretty much covers your question...
    It's a Stump jumper, not a tree, deck, small VWs, or hawt girls jumper And, I don't know of any 6 ft tall stumps...well, except this one guy...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

meow meow
    my bet is you could do it a few times but if you make a habit of it something is gonna give.

mtbr member
    I'd do it on the bike, trying it out every now and then won't kill it. However if you make that into your everyday line and do that 3-5 times a week...your stumpy life may be reduce...kinda like having a double fudge chocolate cake every night for dessert.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2clue View Post
    ...life may be reduce...kinda like having a double fudge chocolate cake every night for dessert.
    WHAT?! the hell are you saying?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    WHAT?! the hell are you saying?
    my thought too, that is not gonna kill me, is it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    my thought too, that is not gonna kill me, is it?
    Screw that dude! If I'm going out cause I popped my tube, I'm going out w/ a full belly and a smile on my face!

╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Nom nom nom! Didn't say it would be a bad way for it/you to go! It's called living a full and completely life...a bit more on the full side!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    your wheels are doubtful, suspension will want to bottom out fairly easily (need to pump them up!). I think one of the posters hit it on the nail, with proper technic you can land half way soft from 6ft, but most of us can't do that especially every time.

4ft to flat is still fairly hard on a 5in bike...speed is your friend here!

Part of me says go for it once and make sure you take a vid and post it up on this thread for us!
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Yeah your going to want bigger tires, DH type rims and well built to take that kinda abuse more than a few times, your frame will likely be fine as long as you don't mess up the landing them who knows could rip the head tube off or snap the forks fairly easily.

Look for a cheap 2nd DH bike if I was you.

mtbr member
    Just do it!Have a friend take pics or a video and report back!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    As long as you can prove that the frame cracks BEFORE the crash, should be able to warranty the frame if it does fail.

mtbr member
    I've done 6ft drops to down a few times on an 03 Enduro. The 03 is an XC bike. handled it just fine. I did have a set of Azonic Outlaws on it though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    A transition makes a huge difference. If you can build up a bit of tranny, you shouldn't have any problems. Just don't land awkwardly. Ever.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by weekendthrasher View Post
    Does anyone know of or have experience with 6-foot drops on a full suspension stumpy? I have a stock 2011 Stumpjumper Elite (full suspension with mini brain) and have been eyeing a 6-foot drop on my favourite trail, but don't want to find out the hard way whether or not the bike can handle it (so yes, this has to already assume that I can, haha). I've heard that 4-foot drops are okay, but don't know about 6-foot drops on it.

As well, if this is a go (meaning wheels, forks, and frame can handle it), what's the set up most have used in terms of psi and or suspension settings?

Appreciate any suggestions.
    If this is truly 6' to (essentially) flat, I would not do it on this bike. Yes, chances are it still look OK afterwards, but that is a lot of abuse for that bike at your weight. Most 6' drops people talk about doing are to a sloped tranny, and that makes all the difference in the world in terms of how hard the landing is.

Also, a 6' drop measured with a tape measure is usually quite different from a 6' drop reported on the internet. I find most people drastically overestimate how big a drop is in actual feet. I think part of that is that drops look much higher from above, on top of your bike.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Gotta try the smaller jumps fiirst and work you're way up.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by loggerhead View Post
    Gotta try the smaller jumps fiirst and work you're way up.
    I don't think it makes any difference to his bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    thx for the feedback. have decided to take a pass on it. have no problem respecting the bike's limitations, still having tons of fun with other stuff (small jumps, technical rock climbs, wheelies up hills, etc.). maybe need to think about adding another bike down the road, but not willing to risk a pretty penny forcing this one to be something it just isn't. having too much fun with it for what it does do well, and right now i can live without the drop alot easier than i could live without the bike in one piece and functioning well.

as for the drop, it is indeed actually 6 feet -- measured and signage in trail of such as well.

again, thanks for the heads up. didn't trust what i was hearing in some bike shops that it would be fine, and this proves my reservations were well founded. guess is maybe they were looking to gain another sale ... if i broke my bike.

mtbr member
    6 footer to flat is a big drop. I would do it to a downhill slope but not flat.

Blue Pig
    A lot of riders online have had frame cracks for the littlest things such as farting on their saddle and having it vibrate to their seat stay and cracking it.

I say, just ride it off the 6ft to flat.
    Ragley Blue Pig

think
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bquinn View Post
    4ft to flat is still fairly hard on a 5in bike...speed is your friend here!
    Your forward velocity has no effect on your downward velocity whatsoever in this situation. 1 mph or 100 mph, you land equally hard.

Who wants to go 6 to flat anyway? What is this, 2001? Unless you are channeling your inner Macaskill or something I would get out the shovels and build a transition to land on. Avoid flat landings like the plague.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blksocks View Post
    A lot of riders online have had frame cracks for the littlest things such as farting on their saddle and having it vibrate to their seat stay and cracking it.

I say, just ride it off the 6ft to flat.
    Yeah, dental surgery isn't too expensive...
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

namagomi
    6ft to a steep transition maaaaaybe... but 200lb guy 6ft to flat on a stumpy is going to end with broken chainstays or wheels (assuming u still have stock 28h on the front!).

My friend has the same ride and it groans a lot on 4ft to flat even when he's pretty smooth.

Basically the leverage ratio it too steep for big drops.

EDR
    I've done plenty of drops of 3ft to flat on my 575. Not every day, but every so often. I've hit the "diving board" coming down Porcupine Rim in Moab a few times on my 575. That's a 4 footer to flat, or maybe even a very very slight uphill tranny. I come down like a ton of bricks on that one. Would never do it on my bike more than the once a year I go there. Maybe I'm just not smooth enough, lol.

Still, 6 footer to flat.........? ...........on a Stumpy?..............No thanks. Then again, I wouldn't hit that on any bike. I have done a 5-6 footer to super steep tranny a few times on my bike. That was buttah

Blue Pig
    Yeah, dental surgery isn't too expensive...
    A mouth guard isn't that expensive!
    Ragley Blue Pig

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blksocks View Post
    A mouth guard isn't that expensive!
    Yeah smartass, go ride w/ one and let me know how it works out for you

If you manage to keep that thing in your mouth, even riding DH non-competitively, then I'll believe this comment has some basis in cycling. Until then, jam up that crack and shut your pie-hole.
    Last edited by Pau11y; 08-19-2011 at 07:11 AM.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Praise Bob

The question is why?

Drops to flats really just aren't fun at all unless you are some super smooth trials rider or just have something to prove. There definitely is a case to be made to try it once just to say you did it.

The diving board on Porcupine Rim is indeed about 4ft high so it is nice to read the post above where it is accurately described. I ride a 6" moment and I am 210lbs so that drop pretty much bottoms my bike out. Not sure your Stumpy is up to repeated abuse like that - not to mention hitting a genuine 6 footer.

As as side note on Measurements on the Interwebs - you really have to take those with a grain of salt. I regularly hit the "10 footer" at a local park. Even though everyone calls it that on these boards the honest truth is that it is about 5'- 6' to where your rear tire hits the transition. It might be 10' to the floor but the lander is huge and well groomed. You would have to seriously overshoot the lander to get more than a 6' vertical drop out of it.

mtbr member
    6ft drop to flat (w/a flair thrown in) only if you're Danny Macaskill...make that 25-30ft to flat

Blue Pig

If you manage to keep that thing in your mouth, even riding DH non-competitively, then I'll believe this comment has some basis in cycling. Until then, jam up that crack and shut your pie-hole.
    Yea, because he's going to ride with a mouth piece the entire time and not at the point of hitting that 6ft drop to flat.

Don't be so emotional
    Ragley Blue Pig

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

I think you are taking this exchange a tad too seriously.

mtbr member
    Just go super fast. The faster you go off the drop, the less impact on the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    Just go super fast. The faster you go off the drop, the less impact on the bike.
    Missed some physics classes did ya?
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Only if there is a descent where you land, then your landing speed is reduced cause your still going down at 1metre per second say if your going fast enough, you need a good 30degree bank to land on ideally.

I did a unplanned 8 foot drop the once, 80degree down bank which had a chunk missing and vertical but transitioned back to 80degree so lovely and smooth.

Slow down your rebound damping before attempting any drops, it stops the land then bounce into the air then crash which faster makes worse.

mtbr member
    This one is easy. If you have to ask, on MTBR no less, you shouldn't do it.

mtbr member
    or better yet dial in your high speed compression first cuz that'll be the energy your gonna tell your rebound to work with

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    If the drop is to flat (as in level), then going faster will not lessen the impact.

mtbr member
    Missed some physics classes did ya?
    When you go faster, your momentum increases in the direction you are going so it lessens the gravity drop factor. I used to skateboard a lot and dropping off a loading dock with speed would lessen the blow on your legs if you increase your speed. There is less compression on your legs. So when you land, its a much smoother landing and much easier on your knees and legs.

mtbr member
    When you go faster, your momentum increases in the direction you are going so it lessens the gravity drop factor. I used to skateboard a lot and dropping off a loading dock with speed would lessen the blow on your legs if you increase your speed. There is less compression on your legs. So when you land, its a much smoother landing and much easier on your knees and legs.
    Gravity will accelerate you at 9.8 m/s no matter what your launch speed is. You will impact the ground at a higher speed if you were to sprint off the drop vs rolling off it.

The reason the landing feels smoother is because when you launch off at speed your landing angle is more slack, thus allowing the force to dissipate through pushing the bike forward and lessening the shock sensation. Where as a slow drop your bike will drop straight down and come to a near complete stop resulting in the harsh landing. (this does not mean all harsh landing are caused from this....)

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    When you go faster, your momentum increases in the direction you are going so it lessens the gravity drop factor.
    If by "gravity drop factor" you mean downward speed when you reach the ground, no, it does not (assuming level take off and landing).

I am not familiar enough with skateboarding to explain your experience, so I will take your word on what you say. However, I would be willing to bet the difference has to do with the techniques involved in launching/landing at speed vs a slow huck.

There are also likely to be differences in the way one lands a slow vs high speed drop on a bike. I know I tend to land drops better (consistently) when I have some speed, but that is due to my being better able to control the fore/aft tilt of the bike, and beyond a certain speed (which is not that fast) it does not make a difference.

mtbr member
    Wow, there is so much wrong in this thread. Why do people feel the need to pretend they are physicists, and then spout out crap that proves they obviously are not? It is OK to not know something, and just remain silent.

This is the actual reason why going fast makes things easier. When you accelerate forward and off a drop, the earth's rotation increases proportionally to yours and its mass. Because the planet is not perfectly spherical, the ground actually moves away from you as you speed up, which is why the impact feels lighter the faster you go. This is just physics and facts, people.

Watch an airplane take off. As it gets going faster and faster, it begins to look like it is lifting UP into the air. But what is actually doing is moving forward, and staying put vertically. It is actually the earth moving DOWN relative to the airplane that causes the airplane to "appear" as though it is flying.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fotu View Post
    Wow, there is so much wrong in this thread. Why do people feel the need to pretend they are physicists, and then spout out crap that proves they obviously are not? It is OK to not know something, and just remain silent.

This is the actual reason why going fast makes things easier. When you accelerate forward and off a drop, the earth's rotation increases proportionally to yours and its mass. Because the planet is not perfectly spherical, the ground actually moves away from you as you speed up, which is why the impact feels lighter the faster you go. This is just physics and facts, people.

Watch an airplane take off. As it gets going faster and faster, it begins to look like it is lifting UP into the air. But what is actually doing is moving forward, and staying put vertically. It is actually the earth moving DOWN relative to the airplane that causes the airplane to "appear" as though it is flying.
    Brilliance!^^^^^^

mtbr member
    2clue is more correct than your summary of why you "perceive" the force from landing impact is less. The force of your mass multiplied by 9.81 m/s^2 (or 32.2 ft/s^2) is entirely in the vertical component. You WILL feel this if you drop 6 ft while traveling at 1E6 mph, or if the ground all of a sudden vanished and you drop the same 6 ft. AND, in fact, if you introduce additional speed, the acceleration (deceleration as most would call it associating to slowing) of you slowing due to the friction (resistance force) of your wheels hitting the ground will only add to the purely vertical force from gravity. If you doubt what I say, Google "force vector diagram". This is Physics 101.
    The reason why you FEEL less impact at higher speed is because your attention is dealing w/ the higher speed...and the greater danger of the (hard) ground that's rushing past under you. That's it.

**Now, when you read up on the force vector diagram, there is a magnitude of the horizontal resistance force (friction) where when calc'd w/ the vertical response force, will result in a total response force w/ an angle. Now if this angle so happens to be perfectly parallel w/ the impact angle of your fork w/ respect to the ground, then your suspension will experience 100% of the total response force and you WILL feel significantly less "spiking" of the impact due to compression damping (provided your fork is tuned correctly). But this is such a small window it is seldom hit.

Science... it's real
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fotu View Post

you can use this next time you're in the middle of a 390 in progress, yes?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast