Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 6-foot drops?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

6-foot drops?

Does anyone know of or have experience with 6-foot drops on a full suspension stumpy? I have a stock 2011 Stumpjumper Elite (full suspension with mini brain) and have been eyeing a 6-foot drop on my favourite trail, but don't want to find out the hard way whether or not the bike can handle it (so yes, this has to already assume that I can, haha). I've heard that 4-foot drops are okay, but don't know about 6-foot drops on it.

As well, if this is a go (meaning wheels, forks, and frame can handle it), what's the set up most have used in terms of psi and or suspension settings?

Appreciate any suggestions.

mtbr member
    how heavy are you? 6ft to flat ground or downhill landing?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    my bad, forgot to include:
    i'm 205 lbs and landing area is relatively flat with a very slight decline

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I would avoid it. Flat landings are always hard on a bike, especially when the rider is 205 pounds. If you are super smooth with a trials or bmx background, you could probably get away with it here and there. If not, you're just asking for trouble. It might not break right away, but you've stressed it and shortened its life. If you plan on replacing the bike at the end of the year, you might be ok.

mtbr member
    It's not like the bike's going to burst into flames the first time you try it, but that's asking an awful lot out of what's really an XC bike. If you want to ride that kind of stuff at all regularly, you'd be a lot better off on something burlier.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    thanks for the warnings, will pay heed.

what about 4-foot drops to flat ground? could the stumpy take it or is that just an exaggeration? i bought it with the intention of abusing it, but not breaking it so still trying to figure out its real-life limitations rather than theoretical. i'm getting more interested in jumps now than i thought i would, but not looking to do any hero like stuff, just have some fun without breaking the bank again.

mtbr member
    agree with the other posts. you and your bike, with skills, would probably be fine the first few times you send that. The problem is when you land it clean AND you have a giant grin on your face you'll hit that line EVERY time after & if you don't have the right set-up you might be asking a little too much of your bike and it'll get mad at you and stack you on the floor especially if it's pretty much to flat.

not familiar with that frame. Is that the 150mm rear travel Stumpy? I'd probably dial up your suspension settings before you drop that. Sounds like you're about to have a s..tload more fun though!
    Last edited by 53119; 08-17-2011 at 09:17 AM.
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Quote Originally Posted by weekendthrasher View Post
    thanks for the warnings, will pay heed.

what about 4-foot drops to flat ground? could the stumpy take it or is that just an exaggeration? i bought it with the intention of abusing it, but not breaking it so still trying to figure out its real-life limitations rather than theoretical. i'm getting more interested in jumps now than i thought i would, but not looking to do any hero like stuff, just have some fun without breaking the bank again.
    I've got a 07 Stumpy and regularly hip 3-4ft drops and some doubles.No problems with it. Picked up an Enduro and wow what a big difference. Soaks it all up.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

mtbr member
    I think your bike's name sake pretty much covers your question...
    It's a Stump jumper, not a tree, deck, small VWs, or hawt girls jumper And, I don't know of any 6 ft tall stumps...well, except this one guy...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

usually cranky
    my bet is you could do it a few times but if you make a habit of it something is gonna give.

mtbr member
    I'd do it on the bike, trying it out every now and then won't kill it. However if you make that into your everyday line and do that 3-5 times a week...your stumpy life may be reduce...kinda like having a double fudge chocolate cake every night for dessert.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2clue View Post
    ...life may be reduce...kinda like having a double fudge chocolate cake every night for dessert.
    WHAT?! the hell are you saying?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    WHAT?! the hell are you saying?
    my thought too, that is not gonna kill me, is it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    my thought too, that is not gonna kill me, is it?
    Screw that dude! If I'm going out cause I popped my tube, I'm going out w/ a full belly and a smile on my face!

╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Nom nom nom! Didn't say it would be a bad way for it/you to go! It's called living a full and completely life...a bit more on the full side!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    your wheels are doubtful, suspension will want to bottom out fairly easily (need to pump them up!). I think one of the posters hit it on the nail, with proper technic you can land half way soft from 6ft, but most of us can't do that especially every time.

4ft to flat is still fairly hard on a 5in bike...speed is your friend here!

Part of me says go for it once and make sure you take a vid and post it up on this thread for us!
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Yeah your going to want bigger tires, DH type rims and well built to take that kinda abuse more than a few times, your frame will likely be fine as long as you don't mess up the landing them who knows could rip the head tube off or snap the forks fairly easily.

Look for a cheap 2nd DH bike if I was you.

mtbr member
    Just do it!Have a friend take pics or a video and report back!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    As long as you can prove that the frame cracks BEFORE the crash, should be able to warranty the frame if it does fail.

Ramp Local
    I've done 6ft drops to down a few times on an 03 Enduro. The 03 is an XC bike. handled it just fine. I did have a set of Azonic Outlaws on it though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    A transition makes a huge difference. If you can build up a bit of tranny, you shouldn't have any problems. Just don't land awkwardly. Ever.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by weekendthrasher View Post
    Does anyone know of or have experience with 6-foot drops on a full suspension stumpy? I have a stock 2011 Stumpjumper Elite (full suspension with mini brain) and have been eyeing a 6-foot drop on my favourite trail, but don't want to find out the hard way whether or not the bike can handle it (so yes, this has to already assume that I can, haha). I've heard that 4-foot drops are okay, but don't know about 6-foot drops on it.

As well, if this is a go (meaning wheels, forks, and frame can handle it), what's the set up most have used in terms of psi and or suspension settings?

Appreciate any suggestions.
    If this is truly 6' to (essentially) flat, I would not do it on this bike. Yes, chances are it still look OK afterwards, but that is a lot of abuse for that bike at your weight. Most 6' drops people talk about doing are to a sloped tranny, and that makes all the difference in the world in terms of how hard the landing is.

Also, a 6' drop measured with a tape measure is usually quite different from a 6' drop reported on the internet. I find most people drastically overestimate how big a drop is in actual feet. I think part of that is that drops look much higher from above, on top of your bike.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Gotta try the smaller jumps fiirst and work you're way up.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by loggerhead View Post
    Gotta try the smaller jumps fiirst and work you're way up.
    I don't think it makes any difference to his bike.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    thx for the feedback. have decided to take a pass on it. have no problem respecting the bike's limitations, still having tons of fun with other stuff (small jumps, technical rock climbs, wheelies up hills, etc.). maybe need to think about adding another bike down the road, but not willing to risk a pretty penny forcing this one to be something it just isn't. having too much fun with it for what it does do well, and right now i can live without the drop alot easier than i could live without the bike in one piece and functioning well.

as for the drop, it is indeed actually 6 feet -- measured and signage in trail of such as well.

again, thanks for the heads up. didn't trust what i was hearing in some bike shops that it would be fine, and this proves my reservations were well founded. guess is maybe they were looking to gain another sale ... if i broke my bike.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast