Thread: 6 "Foes FXR

mtbr member
    May 2006

6 "Foes FXR

How does this bike stack up to the other 6"ers out there? El Guapo, Motolite, Reign, 575?

ride hard take risks
    It is getting tougher to say anything bad about new frames or bikes any more. The geometry of a frame can say allot but then the components can change all that with ease. If you feel comfortable with what others have to say about it, marketing hype & it looks cool odd's are it's you.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thedonaldla
    How does this bike stack up to the other 6"ers out there? El Guapo, Motolite, Reign, 575?

FXR rides killer. I really like the Curnutt shock. it's beef. Climbs very well and decends superbly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah, that's sort of what got me in trouble. I read all the hype regarding the Nomad, and went and bought one without test riding. Bad move. Maybe the VPP style is not for me. I used to have an old FXR and loved it.

komojo dragon
    Mar 2007
    I demo'd the 575 (enduro build) and limited demo on a very nicely spec'd FXR. I felt more connected to the bike with the fxr. for me it was a better climbing bike than the 575, more efficient pedaling, less bob, I liked the 575 a little more descending, fxr more fun - imho

Just pedaled the motolite around on the street - didn't really grab me..

Imriding- nice photo!

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by 1scotto

Just pedaled the motolite around on the street - didn't really grab me..

Imriding- nice photo!

I suggest you try pedaling the ML around on the trail. What's the street gonna tell ya about a Mnt bike?

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    What sort of riding are you looking to do? Your list is a bit odd- the ML is 4 or 5". And it's quite unusual to compare the 575 and the Reign as they are nothing like each other.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    I suggest you try pedaling the ML around on the trail. What's the street gonna tell ya about a Mnt bike?
    It rolls
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Womble- Yeah the ML is at the bottom of the list for me. I already have a 4" lightweight bike (Ells Truth), so I would need something in the 6" range to replace my Nomad.

Anyone try the El Guapo?

Womble- Yeah the ML is at the bottom of the list for me. I already have a 4" lightweight bike (Ells Truth), so I would need something in the 6" range to replace my Nomad.

Anyone try the El Guapo?

Yeah! My ML wieghs 33-34# with a coil shock, and 120-160mm TA fork. So it would ride very similarly to the Truth.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Blackagnes- Damn that seems pretty heavy.

Imridingmybike- How much does your FXR weigh?

Trophy Husband
    Heavy, but fun.
    Extreme stationary biker.

banned

Imridingmybike- How much does your FXR weigh?
    The lightest its been was 30.5. Right now it's closer to 35. I have different wheels/tires I use depending on planned riding conditions.

I've used it for all day epics and moderate "free ride". I love the bike - it does everything well.

Get the FXR... Sweet bike IMO.

Just roll it......
    Yeah! My ML wieghs 33-34# with a coil shock, and 120-160mm TA fork. So it would ride very similarly to the Truth.
    BA, you bring up a good point that the build on any given bike will definitely change how it rides. Your setup definitely won't ride like a Truth. Regardless of build, the ML is still on the xc end of those other bikes mentioned. Steeper head angle, lighter frame and less travel slant it a bit more xc. That doesn't mean it can't be ridden hard, but it definitely isn't in the same intended category as the nomad, Covert, Reign, Slayer, RFX, etc......hence the El G.

Dogon really nailed it that there aren't really any true stinkers out there these days. Hell, I've seen a few local rippers on the Diamond Back Mission and they're even raving about those.

Not that I don't love my reign, but thedonaldla, you should also take a look at the new Slayer SXC. My wife's is beautiful and it rides super well. I rode with a few women coaches last weekend in the park and they were ripping it up on them. One of them happens to be the current world masters dh champ and she was stoked on her slayer (and was hitting everything on it).

Cheers,
    EB

Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    BA, you bring up a good point that the build on any given bike will definitely change how it rides. Your setup definitely won't ride like a Truth. Regardless of build, the ML is still on the xc end of those other bikes mentioned. Steeper head angle, lighter frame and less travel slant it a bit more xc. That doesn't mean it can't be ridden hard, but it definitely isn't in the same intended category as the nomad, Covert, Reign, Slayer, RFX, etc......hence the El G.

Put it in front of me, and I'll ride it.... on my ML.

komojo dragon
    Mar 2007
    Well the bike shop owner was going to do me a great favor and let try the "complete" ML for 2-3 hours for $60.00 as a demo. Let's see an hour of driving back and forth to the trail- so maybe a two hour demo... a lukewarm proposition since most of the other LBS that allow demo's charge less than that for 24 hours. So it's not a fair evaluation of a mtn bike, but I said as much.

I did demo 7 bikes... rode 31 around bike shops and ultimately bought my Ibis after a neighborhood ride... Somehow I just knew the mojo would be it! Had to trust some of the great reviews to fill in the blanks..

Just roll it......
    Put it in front of me, and I'll ride it.... on my ML.
    You bringing that to Whistler? If so, I'll have a couple of "XC" trails for ya.....seriously, they are legitimate xc trails...............by their standard!