Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Fiddle Sticks!
    Oct 2004

6" all mountain fork

I'm thinking of building a Reign and I wanted to know what was a good 6" strong, lightish weight fork, preferably around 600 dollars. I'd like a fork that can also take hits from light freeride and downhill. Thanks for any suggestions.
    "We must learn to live together as brothers, or perish together as fools."
    - Martin Luther King Jr.

squish is good
    Manitou Nixon series, stock equipment on the Reign 2, no complaints about mine.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Since it sounds like 20mm will be required, one that would fit that category might be the Z1 Light. I would suggest, however, that the fork is one area where you don't let price limit you if at all possible. The frameset and fork choice are the extreme biggies in the quality of your bike. You can fudge on some other stuff and upgrade later. Go for a Van 36 or 66SL for your bike. It will be worth it IMO.

not so super...
    Start looking for closeout deals on the 06 Zocchi 66SL. They are starting to pop up around the $600 mark.

Like this: http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    You might be able to find an '06 Fox 36 R in the price range you're looking for (which came stock on the Reign 1). However, I would second to the suggestion to go cheaper on other components, e.g. XT or X.9 drivetrain, RaceFace Evolve or Easton EA50 kit, etc... and get a good fork, as mentioned.

Fiddle Sticks!
    Oct 2004
    I was thinking of the 66 seeing that you can adjust it from 6 to 7 inch. But, how much does it weigh, and will using the 7" set up be akward on the reign. Oh yeah, and does it climb ok?
    Thanks
    - Martin Luther King Jr.

Cheesiest
    I'd definitely agree about the van36. That's what I plan on getting for my Bullit

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by markseelos805
    I was thinking of the 66 seeing that you can adjust it from 6 to 7 inch. But, how much does it weigh, and will using the 7" set up be akward on the reign. Oh yeah, and does it climb ok?
    Thanks
    With the 66sl, the travel adjustment is done with an air pump. I tried a fork with a 555mm a/c on my Reign and though it put the BB a little to high. It should work pretty well at 150mm (maybe 160??) if you run enough sag.

FWIW the stock swinger on the reign is a pretty linear shock and you might find it a little limiting if you have something very capable on the front. The swinger has a 2" stroke, but a shaft length of 2.5", so if your o-ring is 0.5" from the bottom of the shaft, you are using all the travel.

The new RS Lyric looks pretty interesting for the Reign - 115 to 160mm with on the fly adjustability. Unfortunately it's going to be around $1000.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Dirt Displacer
    I'd suggest the Maverick DUC32....
    You get 6" of plush travel at less than 4lbs.

My wife has one on her GF FatPossum, and it's definitely an awesome fork. She's also had none of the problems attributed to the DUC32. The strange axle size might be an issue when/if she wants a different wheelset, but otherwise there's no complaints.
    Bombardier :::: MCM #249

[SIZE="5"]Trails Listings, GPS Tracks, & Forums[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]Singletracks.com[/SIZE]

banned
    Marz Z1.

If most of your riding is going to be normal person's riding, the All Mountain 1 is an excellent choice.

Motion activated
    Putting a double crown fork on the Reign will void the warenty, so the DUC32 is out.

IIRC the Marzocchi AM forks run pretty tall for their travel. The AM at 150mm would be same height as the 66sl at 160mm.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

not so super...
    Thanks
    A few corrections.

• The 06 66SL will adjust from 130mm to 170mm with out exceding the PSI maximums.
    • It weighs 5.66lbs with the axle and full steer tube.
    • The a-2-c on the 66 is actually lower than the AM series for a given amount of travel.
    Nothing to see here.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    A few corrections.

• The 06 66SL will adjust from 130mm to 170mm with out exceding the PSI maximums.
    • The a-2-c on the 66 is actually lower than the AM series for a given amount of travel.
    Would this put the Z1 into the territory of obsolescence?

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Would this put the Z1 into the territory of obsolescence?
    Some stiff prefer the coil, so I doubt it. The AM line is inching dangerously close to the Z1 territory also.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    IMO...the Z1 light would be an excellent candidate for your reign. You can find'em here for under $600.

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval

later, chad

Boyeeee
    Just got a new 06 66 RC2x from DownShiftCycles for $550 out the door.
    Looks good on my VPX.

DSC has 06 AM1's for $480, AMSL's for $475, and Z1SL's for $475 right now.

This is a good time for bargains on Marzocchi's. Hurry up and buy before the bargains disappear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BCBlur
    Just got a new 06 66 RC2x from DownShiftCycles for $550 out the door.
    Looks good on my VPX.

DSC has 06 AM1's for $480, AMSL's for $475, and Z1SL's for $475 right now.

This is a good time for bargains on Marzocchi's. Hurry up and buy before the bargains disappear.
    The 66 is a sweet fork, but it's more for burly freeride than light freeride/AM. It would seem that unless your doing big drops/jumps then what is the point of having something with that much travel and weight?

The 2006 AMs are all QR. If your considering a 66 than you would probably would want to avoid a QR fork. I just ordered a '05 Z1 for my future Preston FR I was thinking about the 66 but I'm not gapping 40 footers plus the weight difference was 2lbs.

Fiddle Sticks!
    Oct 2004
    Thanks for all the replies!
    - Martin Luther King Jr.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    A few corrections.

Thats light! Are you using this fork? Hows it ride? I'm kind of apprehensive about an air shock, I wonder how these will hold up in the long run compared to springs

banned
    See, what confuses me so much about the z1 vs 66 is that I've even asked about the All Mountain 1 and been told to check out the 66 and it's made to look like the perfect fork for even AM riding. It seems the 66 is a great fork, but why would anyone want to get a z1 if they can get a 66? I still can't figure this out. If the 66 is so light, is it really overlapping into AM/FR territory? What are the shortcomings for AM riding?

TNC
    noMAD man
    I would agree.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

sherman

I'm thinking of building a Reign and I wanted to know what was a good 6" strong, lightish weight fork, preferably around 600 dollars. I'd like a fork that can also take hits from light freeride and downhill. Thanks for any suggestions.
    I am using a manitou sherman firefly+ as my trail fork. It is availble cheap on some of the mail orders because it is last years. Comes with a titanium spring (it is a little soft) and I believe with that spring it is in the range of five pounds. The fork seemed to take longer than any other fork I have ridden to break in, but know that it has it is smooth like a marzocchi on everything except the really tiny bumps (expected with a stable platform fork).The axle to crown is kinda longish but I personally like a slack HA and high BB and this fork fixed the geometry of my bike for me. I would do some calculating of HA and BB heights if I was putting a fork with a different Axle to crown height compared to the one that the frame is designed around.

mtbr member
    '06 Nixon Super is an air fork and super light.
    Santa Cruz Bullit AM build
    www.needmusic.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I just built up a 05 Reign frame with my old VT parts. I went with a Zork AM1. Great fork. 150mm and I can drop it down to 130mm on the fly. I can also lock it out and adjust it on the fly for trail conditions. It has climbing, trial and DH adjustments. It's an awsome fork and really makes my Reign an all purpose, swiss army knife, do all bike. It retails for 700 but well worth it. Also I got it in a QR so now knew wheel needed. The only limit is the rear 3 way swinger isnt in the same ball park as the Zork AM1

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo
    I just built up a 05 Reign frame with my old VT parts. I went with a Zork AM1. Great fork. 150mm and I can drop it down to 130mm on the fly. I can also lock it out and adjust it on the fly for trail conditions. It has climbing, trial and DH adjustments. It's an awsome fork and really makes my Reign an all purpose, swiss army knife, do all bike. It retails for 700 but well worth it. Also I got it in a QR so now knew wheel needed. The only limit is the rear 3 way swinger isnt in the same ball park as the Zork AM1
    So when you want to adjust the travel "on the fly", you somehow contort yourself down to the underside of the left leg, while balancing and avoiding such obstacles as trees and the brake rotor. Then you push down on the fork a bit to remove the load on the TAS knob to make it easier to turn?
    Last edited by Jerk_Chicken; 08-05-2006 at 01:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast