mtbr member
    Mar 2006

5 Spot vs Heckler

Is the 5 Spot really worth the difference in price compared to the Heckler?
    How would you rate the two?

ride hard take risks
    No way, not to me. The Heckler is the best at what it does & thats to Heckel the chalengers.

29er wannabe

frame choices

The 5spot and Heckler were my choices as well. The price of the Heckler frame was much
    lower providing more cash for better wheels , fork etc.

I see more riders choosing the 6pack vs. the 5spot if their approaching the +200lb. bodyweight. Not so with the stout Heckler.

However both frames are great choices.

Custom User Title
    I have had both. I am on a 5 spot now. I was nervous about making the switch because the Heckler is a really great all around frame that can be built different ways. I also thought that the 5 spot large would be too big for me compared to the large Heckler. I will never bash the Heckler but after the first ride on the 5 spot I knew I made the right choice. It is way more stable on the climbs and the front wheel does not bounce around like the Heckler. You just feel that you can relax in the saddle more and still make the most technical steep climbs without losing traction. And descending is just as nice as the Heckler but I am able to rail switchbacks mutch faster. In my first ride I was able to keep pace with one of my riding buddies that I usually never see. I am over 200lbs and I see no issue with this framing not being able to handle my weight.

If you have the extra money to spend the 5 spot is worth it. I got mine new on eBay (horst link) for $1,500. So there are deals to be had. But if you want to save some money the Heckler will bring nothing but a smile to your face as well. I recommend the DHX-Air for the Heckler. It transformed the bike on the small edge bumps compared to the 5th coil it came with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dpdsurf

If you have the extra money to spend the 5 spot is worth it. I got mine new on eBay (horst link) for $1,500. So there are deals to be had. But if you want to save some money the Heckler will bring nothing but a smile to your face as well. I recommend the DHX-Air for the Heckler. It transformed the bike on the small edge bumps compared to the 5th coil it came with.
    Indeed, if you can find a Horst 5-spot on e-bay it might be worth it, otherwise there is no point in getting a faux-bar 5-spot, there are plenty offerings (Heckler, YETI, all the way up to Ventana, which is built better) that cost less and work as well.

On the expensive side: if you can find a Horst 5-spot on sale and then buy a PUSH/Rp3 (and perhaphs sell whatever shock comes with the frame) you would be riding one of the pinnacles of horst link based technology (although still flowed on square bumps and with not such of a great small bump compliance).

PS Some Turner owners are prey of the an almost comical fetish when it comes to their frame (just look at the gonzostrike post below). This includes the firmly held believe that a Turner single pivot(/faux-bar) works like a Horst, while all other single pivots(/faux-bar) don't. The absurdity of the position is a good source of hilarity.
    Last edited by Davide; 04-24-2006 at 09:55 AM.

mtbr member

Both Great

After trying both bikes I noticed the Heckler had 2 bad habits that made me choose the 5 Spot. Neither would have killed the fun but they made the Spot more fun; one was brake jack which some don't notice but it madea real difference on steep rough DH. The other is chain growth which buged me when peddaling on rough trails. High single pivots are a blast but those limitations were enough to have me buy the Turner and I have absolutly no regrets. The frame was around $800 more but I've owned it and enjoyed every minute of it for allmost 3 years so it's only pennies a day more for the Turner over time. Yea I can find justification to buy something if I really want to.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide
    Indeed, if you can find a Horst 5-spot on e-bay it might be worth it, otherwise there is no point in getting a faux-bar 5-spot, there are plenty offerings (Heckler, YETI, all the way up to Ventana, which is built better) that cost less and work as well.

On the expensive side: if you can find a Horst 5-spot on sale and then buy a PUSH/Rp3 (and perhaphs sell whatever shock comes with the frame) you would be riding one of the pinnacles of horst link based technology (although still flowed on square bumps and with not such of a great small bump compliance).
    this bit of uninformed, highly biased OPINION should be treated as such. it does not state fact.

if self-appointed expert "Davide" knew anything about which he spoke, he wouldn't be wasting time pontificating on MTBR.com. he'd be employed designing suspension systems.

as it is Davide only wishes he were another DAVID, with the surname Turner, who designs frames that out-strip Davide's wildest ability fantasies.

I would wager that nobody can discern the difference between the former FSR/Horst and the current TNT suspension designs in real-world performance.

do not believe Davide's crap.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Gonzo at work again....

Geeze! You are a ball of wonderful comments. You liberals hate everyone but their mothers...well, maybe your mother too, which explains your bitterness....

One of my riding partners.rides a Heckler. I ride a Spot. He said the Spot feels a bit dead in the rear end but steers better than the Spot. I don't know...I find some stiffening when braking on single pivot bikes but a stiffer rear end. He does have a ovalized rear pivot. I just don't trust Santa Cruz pivots. I find the Spot to have the longest lasting pivots I have ever seen on a bike. But, the Heckler is almost a grand cheaper, which, will buy a lot of pivots. Try both bikes and see what you like. The Heckler will handle a bigger fork...

Jaybo

ride hard take risks
    Jaybo you might have to update your list to add Versus with their needle bearings & zerk fittings, gonna be tough comp there.

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    Geeze! You are a ball of wonderful comments. You liberals hate everyone but their mothers...well, maybe your mother too, which explains your bitterness....

One of my riding partners.rides a Heckler. I ride a Spot. He said the Spot feels a bit dead in the rear end but steers better than the Spot. I don't know...I find some stiffening when braking on single pivot bikes but a stiffer rear end. He does have a ovalized rear pivot. I just don't trust Santa Cruz pivots. I find the Spot to have the longest lasting pivots I have ever seen on a bike. But, the Heckler is almost a grand cheaper, which, will buy a lot of pivots. Try both bikes and see what you like. The Heckler will handle a bigger fork...

Jaybo

Yea, two Libs going at it... whats the world coming too.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Since when does the wheel bounce up and down while climbing on a heckler? Mine doesn't. I won't say I would rather have it over the five spot, but I will say it is a great bike indeed.
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    This decision really depends on your riding style. My Heckler is set up with coil shocks so I'd probably compare it more to a Six-pack. I'll be the 5 spot is faster going up and slower coming down. You may experience brake jack on the Heckler but I never notice it. Then again I'm seldom on the brake when pointed down. the bottom line is you're going to love which ever bike you get so it just comes down to yer wallet.

My cup runneth over
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide
    The absurdity of the position is a good source of hilarity.
    Davide - is your response based on having thrown a leg over a TNT Turner?

FishZapper
    Heres my take:

The bikes are pretty close in performance from what I understand. Given that, the Heckler is the cheaper of the two, so it would appear to be the best value. HOWEVER, as a Santa Cruz owner, you must take into account the horrid customer service that SC is known for, and the opposite is true of turner. Therefore it becomes a question of what is more important to you. Saving a few bucks? Or buying from a BETTER company? You be the judge.
    I like my Bullit and all, its a great bike, but it will be the last SC I buy unless they have a major reputation overhaul. Im thinking a 6-pack or 575 as my next ride. SC isnt in the discussion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't own and never tried either. However I'm always fascinated and disapointed by the overly negative or positive statements of many people.

- SC customer service is not horrible, yes for some cases, there is a disapointed customer and for other cases there is a delighted customer.
    - The 5spot horst link is a great bike, proof, there are a LOT of positive people here on this forum.
    - The Heckler is a great bike, proof, there are a LOT of positive people here on this forum.
    - The 5spot TNT is a great bike also, plenty of people to say it does not change anything.

Bottom line, to the original poster, those are two great trail bikes. However, look at their geometry, they are quite different, check it out also assuming a specific fork you are going to install on it. For sure there is one or the other that fits your body and riding style better then the other. That is what is going to make you a happy owner, not most of the BS that one an other can claim about SantaCruz or Turner companies and suspension designs...

mtbr member
    I think it comes down to what are you going to do with the bike? Just hitting some fun trails? Either bike will do. Charging with your XC buddies? Either bike will do but the Spot is probably a little more at home here than the Heckler. Freeriding, stunts, drops hanging with your big hit buddies? Well here the Heckler is probably the better choice. More travel and can take a 150mm fork. This is where the Turner crowd stops riding Spots and starts riding RFX's.
    Pearl & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Personal opinions aside, there are a couple of things that I know about these frames as a fact.

First, Heckler is a very tough and a very versitle frame. The toughness of its build makes it more of an equivalent of the 6-pack/RFX than the 5 Spot. While it can be built up on a XC side with a 5in Fox, air shock, etc, etc. and perform the 5 Spot-like duty, one really reaches the potential of the frame with the longer stroke rear shock and a tall fork up front.

Heckler has a farily low bottom bracket for its travel, which helps in low speed stability and makes it a good cornering bike at speed, it also takes drops well and is fretty smooth in the rear during high speed descents due to it being a high single pivot. 5 Spot has better high speed stability in straight line down hills and climbs technical terrain better. 5 Spot has a more active rear suspension, especially during pedaling as the heckler stiffens up then. 5 Spot does have a stiffer rear end, especially after a few months of abuse. Geometry of the frame ought to be a determining factor as well.

That's all I can tell you. If you're looking at the sticker price, Heckler is definatelly a great bang for the buck.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho