Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

5 10s

3K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  modifier 
#1 ·
With all the interest in trying platform pedals and consistent recommendations to go with FiveTen shoes as well, could some of you offer advice on which 5 10 shoes to try?

As you all know there are a lot of different models and it's hard to choose unless you just go by what looks the best to you. Also where most of us live there is no option to go to a store and look at them in person, so sight unseen mail order is gong to be required.

Some models offer a lot of protection, but that may be over kill.

None of them look like they breath very well and are going to be a lot hotter than a dedicated mtb shoe, so are some better models for hot weather?

Adding a lot of extra weight to a rotating mass is something to avoid, so which ones are the lightest?

Do they all have the same sole? As in just as stiff and just as grippy? Or does it vary?

Do they run pretty true to size?

#27 ·
skidmore said:
Is it just me or are the five tens a little over hyped? I slipped off my pedals more now since I got them. Just wondering if any others are experiancing the same thing. I have three rides on them now and had my feet slip off on every ride. Been out about ten times this year and had no slips prior. I used some hiking shoes and regular sneakers and thought they worked ok, no slips. Maybe the tread pattern on both work good with my pedals not sure. I ordered straitlines from treefort and it seems to me those pedals would grip on concrete so probably could have just got the pedals. Don't have the pedals yet still waiting didn't ship out for 4 days wtf. Like to know if anyone else is having same experiance probably not by all the posts I've read.
I've not slipped a pedal in two years of riding flats with 5.10's. Back in 03 when I tried flats I went right back to spd when I couldn't stay on my pedals with vans. There is some hype for sure, 5.10's don't mean you'll never slip, but with good technique, you are very unlikely to move on the pedals period. You can't ride flats like spd's and just expect the 5.10's to keep you on the pedals. Clips tech you to ignore techniques to keep your feet on the pedals.

#28 ·
Ran 5.10 Impacts on some gnarly fast ST last weekend at Brown County with a pair of Fly Bikes platforms and all I kept thinking about is how I was stuck more securely than with my Sidi's and Time Attacks.....CRAZY GLUE, I loved it but it will take some getting used to, as my ankle had more play before and now I have to lift my foot for adjustment.

Glad I switched for sure! Now to get some ORANGE Staitlines to match my Iodine's!

#29 ·
Interesting thread. The bike I just bought came with Shimano MX30 Deore DX BMX/DH pedals installed and the fellow who sold it to me strongly recommended I learn to ride the platforms instead of the clipless I have on my HT. Will these do with a pair of 5.10s or are the pins too small?

#30 ·
I use freeriders, loved them since I wore them! what people say is true, ventilation on these shoes is poor! other than that, the sole might not be as stiff as the impacts but it has plenty of stiffness and impressive grip. Another disadvantage is that theyre bulky! But these disadvantages I can live with for the grip these shoes offer.

I wish 5.10 could make a skinnier shoe with better ventilation, and still have the sole stiffness they offer, and off course their sole!

PD: I use CB 5050s with the Freeriders works wonders

#31 ·
Ok, here is a limited report. It's been raining a lot here so not much ride time.

I've been out 3 times on the Crampons. The first time waiting for the 5 10s to arrive was on a pair of Pumas and short pins. They stuck pretty well but the flexibility of the sole allowed it to conform to the pedal too much and the exposed spindle could be felt and actually seemed to roll your foot forward if you were pedaling lightly. This isn't an issue on a normal platform pedal with the same shoe. But I think a flexxy shoe like some people say the Freeride is might present a similar issue on the Crampons.

My Chase 5 10s arrived and I've ridden twice on them. I also switched out the pins to the 2mm longer ones and donned some shin guards just in case. The Chases are plenty stiff so that I don't feel the spindle at all. They grip pretty well and have a Stealth sole but it's a different MY Stealth sole than the bike specific S1 (Impact) or PH on some Freeride shoes so I don't know how it compares. The PH sole is not very grippy as I understand and more of a street shoe. The MY grips pretty well but the rubber isn't supper soft. But once again I don't know how soft the S1 is. The MY sole was engineered for Parkour as we know which needs good grip to climb walls and these new soles are suppose to be lighter and last longer than the original. They are pretty light @ 844g for a pair of size 10s. They have a partial rubber rand around the perimeter for protection and durability and the upper 2 vertical lace holes make sure they stay tight and also center the bow on the shoe so it won't get hooked on stuff.

Twice on the last ride I caught my tow under branches sticking out from logs on the ground, which has never happened before on cleats so I don't know what's up with that but my foot and the shoe didn't get hurt at all, so the uppers are built pretty strong and should take a beating and protect your foot. They are not bulky and look good too and would be fine as a casual shoe.

So overall I would say that they are a good bike shoe and less bulky and lighter than a lot of other 5 10s but still stiff and sticky enough too.

As far as flats go. They are great if you need to get off quickly in sketchy new uncharted terrain but other than that, so far, they suck for hard XC riding compared with clipless. My feet are all over the place if it's really rough and I find myself pedaling with one foot on the ball and one foot closer to the heal when grinding up steep climbs when you can't lift to readjust. With clipless it's easy to ride with a really light rear wheel and you don't have to think about where your feet are at all (obviously) and I think it is a lot more efficient to pedal on the ball of your foot rather than on the instep or even worse the heal. It seems like with flats to keep planted you would have to keep your weight back on the bike to weight the pedal or something making for a heavy bash over rather than skim over rear wheel. Also several times when I would transition like going down into a gully then up the other side my foot would slip off of the pedal to the front and I would be dead in the water, once again saying you have to ride heavy on the pedal to stay on it. Standing up staying on isn't an issue, but once when launching off of rock on a fast decent one of my feet went airborne and fortunately landed back on the pedal. In general staying planted going down hill is not a problem even if it's rough.

I'm not giving up yet and flats seem to have their place but so far being clipped in is like trying to drive a race car with a 4 point harness to hold you in the seat compared with hanging on the steering wheel to keep you in the seat. Primitive vs technological advancement. ;)

I would say those who say that learning how to ride on flats is learning a superior bike handling skill are wrong. It's not better just different and except for bailing clipless are superior. I'm sure many will disagree and maybe with more flat time I might come around too.

Attachments

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.