Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

5 10s

3K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  modifier 
#1 ·
With all the interest in trying platform pedals and consistent recommendations to go with FiveTen shoes as well, could some of you offer advice on which 5 10 shoes to try?

As you all know there are a lot of different models and it's hard to choose unless you just go by what looks the best to you. Also where most of us live there is no option to go to a store and look at them in person, so sight unseen mail order is gong to be required.

Some models offer a lot of protection, but that may be over kill.

None of them look like they breath very well and are going to be a lot hotter than a dedicated mtb shoe, so are some better models for hot weather?

Adding a lot of extra weight to a rotating mass is something to avoid, so which ones are the lightest?

Do they all have the same sole? As in just as stiff and just as grippy? Or does it vary?

Do they run pretty true to size?

#2 ·
modifier said:
With all the interest in trying platform pedals and consistent recommendations to go with FiveTen shoes as well, could some of you offer advice on which 5 10 shoes to try?

As you all know there are a lot of different models and it's hard to choose unless you just go by what looks the best to you. Also where most of us live there is no option to go to a store and look at them in person, so sight unseen mail order is gong to be required.

Some models offer a lot of protection, but that may be over kill.

None of them look like they breath very well and are going to be a lot hotter than a dedicated mtb shoe, so are some better models for hot weather?

Adding a lot of extra weight to a rotating mass is something to avoid, so which ones are the lightest?

Do they all have the same sole? As in just as stiff and just as grippy? Or does it vary?

Do they run pretty true to size?
I own a pair of the 5.10 Impact Low's and personally love them. My buddy also has a pair of the 5.10 Freeriders. How would you describe your riding style? More of the XC/trail side of all mountain? or more of the freeride side of all mountain? Maybe we could suggest something a little better then. Otherwise, as far as breathability, my impacts are sweat boxes... my feet don't overheat, but they do get hot. Also, for comparison to a clipless shoe, they are a bit heavy. To my though, the benefit of impact absorption, comfort, and grip, they're worth every bit of the heat and weight. Not every shoe has the same outsole, nor midsole. Any not everyone of them has the same amount of flexibility. So give us some more information and we'll try to help you out.

#3 ·
The Impact lows are great, but are heavy and bulky.
The Freeriders/Baron, are less bulky, a little lighter, but there sole is not as stiff, and depending on your feet they can cause foot numbness on longer rides.
The Chase seems to be a good middle ground shoe for general riding.
But my favorite all around shoe is the Shimano AM41. Good sole stiffness, super grippy, light, good support, and has a lace cover built in. They are kinda ugly, but I can live with that.

#4 ·
It's not like I'm going to abandon clipless pedals, so for the flat pedal experience I would say that most of it would be considered all mountain except where I live there is no DH stuff. Well almost none. There are a couple of new but short runs being built up.

Basically if it is an established trail, and other can ride up it, so can I, and in those cases riding with clipless is not a problem.

It's the really technical climbs that are first assents where you are putting everything you have into it to trying to make it up, then if you fail you have so little time to bail that the tiny bit of extra effort to get out of the clips can result in a nasty fall, as happened to me last week, so that is the main reason why I want to try the flats.

On the intermediate and advanced XC trails I will likely stay with clipless most of the time, unless I get really comfortable with and like the platforms. Also at some point when I can afford it I would like to get a trials bike and at that point will need the flat skills.

#5 ·
@ modifier - have been in impact lows for 4yrs in texas heat. no big deal for me. I did find Vans' Gravel shoe that i also use. It is in direct line with the freerider but lighter and not as bulky. It has Vans' sticky version of stealth which work very well. I think they're a bit more sticky than the AM41s vibram sole. Style wise - they're Vans' so...usually go from my bike to my longboard to skate right after! check 'em out.

#6 ·
I ride platforms for everything and this is my experience.

For maximum protection and grip for more aggressive rides, go with Impacts. For more XC-ish stuff, the Freeriders work well. I've even had much luck with the Ba5ics for most rides. I got a pair on Chainlove for a super low price and have been using them a lot. They're almost like low-pro Converse with stealth rubber. They work well for me and are the lightest, lowest, and most breathable. They don't offer much protection at all though and their grip is a little less, so I grab the Impacts for anything super rocky or where I know I need maximum grip.

Don't ignore the importance of grippy platforms though. Five Tens won't do it all. Get a good pedal with grippy pins and with the Five Tens you'll stick like glue.

Funny you mentioned them being hotter than a normal MTB shoe. I've never noticed this (even in desert climates), but I have noticed my riding partners wearing neoprene booties over their shoes and complaining about their cold feet in the colder months. I just laugh. My feet have never been cold.

#7 ·
baeckerX1 has a great point on good flats. I use straitlines. They are nice and wide but I think their "secret" are their pins. I switch to their pins on my Transition step-downs and it made a big difference. Have friends who've hung onto their 5050s since they swapped pins.
try straitline pins on anything and they will work well. Just don't slip...haha

#8 ·
My gripe with 5.10's is the lack of stiffness, weight, and lack of ventilation.

That said, I still love my Impact lows, and I will buy another pair soon unless 5.10 comes out with a new model that looks better.

I think there is a market for a more XC oriented, non-clipless shoe. We'll see if 5.10 tries to come up with something new.

#9 ·
I have some Canfield Brothers Crampon pedals on the way. I like their design and I think they come with long and short pins so I can experiment. A little heavy but not too bad.

Stiffness in the sole would be a plus too. Especially since I'm used to riding Sidi XC shoes. But I guess with the large contact area it's probably not as much of a concern.

Attachments

#10 ·
53119 said:
baeckerX1 has a great point on good flats. I use straitlines. They are nice and wide but I think their "secret" are their pins. I switch to their pins on my Transition step-downs and it made a big difference. Have friends who've hung onto their 5050s since they swapped pins.
try straitline pins on anything and they will work well. Just don't slip...haha
Straitlines rock! I agree 100% about the pins. :thumbsup:

#11 ·
modifier said:
I have some Canfield Brothers Crampon pedals on the way. I like their design and I think they come with long and short pins so I can experiment. A little heavy but not too bad.

Stiffness in the sole would be a plus too. Especially since I'm used to riding Sidi XC shoes. But I guess with the large contact area it's probably not as much of a concern.
If you're going with the crampons, I'd recommend the Impacts. I think those specifically would benefit from a stiffer sole. I've heard that on thinner soles some riders can feel the spindle moving underneath their foot and it's an odd feeling. I doubt you'd notice it on Impacts though. I wouldn't know as I've never ridden on them.

#14 ·
After talking to some riders and manufacturers and reading what people said here and watching YouTube I ordered some 5 10s in the end. I was torn between getting something that was going to be beefy but heavy (Impacts) and something that might be too flexible (Freeride) so I went with something a bit out of the norm and in between, the (Chase). It's kind of a do all shoe with a specialty in Parkour but has some toe guarding and a stealth soul and not too heavy at 840g. My Sidis with cleats are 820g. At $99 it's not the end of the world if I need something heavier after trying them and will still be good for other use.

Thanks to all for the input.

#15 ·
I've heard the van's gravel feel a lot like the freerider. Standard vans aren't grippy enough IMO, but there are many who think 5.10's are too grippy and prefer skate shoes. Here's my take: freerider and other light shoes may cause foot fatigue, less impact dampening, and offer less traction, though not much less if you get the freerider with s1 rubber. Not all freeriders use the same rubber. The impact offers better foot protection and impact dampening lighter shoes can't. Shorter rides, DJ, etc.. van's, freerider's are perfect, pounding DH, and longer xc rides I would go with the impact. Teva will be releasing a sticky rubber shoe soon, but it's supposed to be flexy like the freerider.

#16 ·
5-10 Impacts and Straitlines here. I could wish for lighter shoes and platforms but you can't beat the comfort and security. I would not want thinner soles on the Straitline pins.

I tried to go over a 3 foot diameter log and I let the pins on the bottom side of my right pedal dig into the log and it stopped me cold just as the front wheel was over. OTB :D

#17 ·
Just tryed ouy my new impacts tonight and i am a little underwelmed. I was looking for a little more grip, read the great reviews and didn't really experiance nothing like anything i've read. So its got to be the pedals. I'm using some wellgo platforms with a bunch of studs maybe they are worn or to small not sure. When I bought my bike it came with clipless and being a newbie didn't want to start right out of the box clipless so they threw on some used platforms. Maybe I can replace the studs on my pedals not sure. When riding with the impacts I could easly twist my feet around and tonight was the first foot slip off a pedal . Been just using hiking shoes or sneakers and couldnt notice any difference in grip. Fit great and like how they feel. tru to size.

#19 ·
skidmore said:
Just tryed ouy my new impacts tonight and i am a little underwelmed. I was looking for a little more grip, read the great reviews and didn't really experiance nothing like anything i've read. So its got to be the pedals. I'm using some wellgo platforms with a bunch of studs maybe they are worn or to small not sure. When I bought my bike it came with clipless and being a newbie didn't want to start right out of the box clipless so they threw on some used platforms. Maybe I can replace the studs on my pedals not sure. When riding with the impacts I could easly twist my feet around and tonight was the first foot slip off a pedal . Been just using hiking shoes or sneakers and couldnt notice any difference in grip. Fit great and like how they feel. tru to size.
Generally speaking, the thinner and taller the pedal pins are the more grip you'll have.

#23 ·
modifier said:
After talking to some riders and manufacturers and reading what people said here and watching YouTube I ordered some 5 10s in the end. I was torn between getting something that was going to be beefy but heavy (Impacts) and something that might be too flexible (Freeride) so I went with something a bit out of the norm and in between, the (Chase). It's kind of a do all shoe with a specialty in Parkour but has some toe guarding and a stealth soul and not too heavy at 840g. My Sidis with cleats are 820g. At $99 it's not the end of the world if I need something heavier after trying them and will still be good for other use.

Thanks to all for the input.
Let us know how the Chase feel on the bike, I'm wondering about using their Freerunning shoes for biking too. (as a lighter/cooler option to my Impacts)

#24 ·
Is it just me or are the five tens a little over hyped? I slipped off my pedals more now since I got them. Just wondering if any others are experiancing the same thing. I have three rides on them now and had my feet slip off on every ride. Been out about ten times this year and had no slips prior. I used some hiking shoes and regular sneakers and thought they worked ok, no slips. Maybe the tread pattern on both work good with my pedals not sure. I ordered straitlines from treefort and it seems to me those pedals would grip on concrete so probably could have just got the pedals. Don't have the pedals yet still waiting didn't ship out for 4 days wtf. Like to know if anyone else is having same experiance probably not by all the posts I've read.

#26 ·
Skidmore,

When are you slipping off of your pedals? Are you typically standing, or seated? I've had 5.10's for a while now, and even with some of the crappiest stock pedals, I have had zero problems with slipping, BUT... if you're seated, or pedaling really fast, and you do not always have some weight on them, then there's your problem. That's why I'm asking when they tend to slip for you.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.