Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

4x frames that can climb, trail frames that can be jumped?

I have a steel DJ bike and a dh race bike. I need something in between that can do trail rides with 10 mile climbs and pedal well but still jump well. I want it to be really stiff with a thru axle rear preferably. About 5" travel. Can a trance hold up to some big jumps, with a 150mm fork? Otherwise I am considering frames like an intense tazer vp, morewood ndiza, possibly a spitfire or rampant although I am not wild about the bushing thing.
    Do any of the 6" bikes jump good enough to hit bmx type jumps?
    I am 5'8" with a 32" inseam. I ride a medium dh bike and a 22" top tube jumper. So I can probably get full leg extension on the 4x type bikes with a big seat post.
    Thoughts?

mtbr member

4x frames that can climb, trail frames that can be jumped?

I can definitely say that the Rampant is CRAZY fun for ripping around on jumps and trails that aren't too technical. Unfortunately the bushing issue can be a problem if you are riding it often and hard, though they don't seem to have had as many issues as the Runes and Spitfires. The new (V2) versions of the Spitfire and Rune are running bearings instead of bushings and can be set up with thru-axle rear ends. I love the Spitfire on jump-filled trails, but it is definitely more comfortable on bike-park type jumps. It feels pretty big when you get it onto proper BMX style dirt jumps with its longer chainstays and wheelbase. For those you'd probably be happier on something like a Rampant, the new P-slope, or maybe a Killswitch.

mtbr member
    TRC yo!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    TRC yo? I don't follow.
    I have definitely not ruled out a V2 spitfire(no V1 for me), they seem to be very close to what I want save some excess chainstay length.
    I had a Sinister Gruitr and it was nearly ideal for me as a do all bike with the short back end, low and slack, but the pivot system left something to be desired and it was fairly flexy.
    from what I have read about the intense tazer VP, commencal meta 4x, banshee rampant, mongoose nugget, norco 4x, etc, they are all super fun to ride, jump and corner great blah blah but which can double as a trail bike with long distance abilities? I am not, or will ever be an XC racer I just like some of the higher elevation rides. the bike would be set up 32t 1x9 obviously, with a long seatpost and 2 stems to choose from. a 45 and a 70-90. takes what, 3 minutes to swap a stem. 160 brakes, 2.3 minion dhf/small block 8, mavic 823's, pike 454 or revelation XX.

mtbr member

Re: 4x frames that can climb, trail frames that can be jumped?

TRC yo! Or, Solo yo!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

dog
    sit! stay!
    i have a Transition Double and a Pivot M4X... The M4X is a good bit lighter, but they are both a ton of fun on the trail... i use an adjustable seat post as well... have not tried switching stems, but i cannot imagine getting regular trail bike feel out of either... Post up when you pick a frame...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    SC Blur TRC. I love my blur 4x, and the TRc is supposed to be the modern version. My 4x is my trail bike, set up with a pike and a dropper post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    why not a 60mm stem? feels good enough to climb and descend. and a dropper post makes you go from xc high to bmx jumper low in the push of a button. if a new frame was in the cards for me I would chase a spitfire. the slackest 140 bike out there with and actual 140 fork. with the steepest seatpost.

mtbr member
    What about something like the GT Distortion with its long travel front/short travel rear?
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    I have a cheaper solution than a Blur TRc yo, a short shocked Blur LTc yo. You can find them for cheaper than a TRc, and they're built stronger/stiffer than the TRc.
    140mm Fox Float 36, 126mm rear, 13-3/16" bb, 67* HTA, carbon stiff, under 30 lbs w/ burly wheels/rubber (not in pic - white Halo Freedom w/ Hadley hubs & Conti TK 2.4s) and a dropper.

Pic...cranks were swapped out for the XT 770s...stronger, stiffer, and not much weight gain.
    4x frames that can climb, trail frames that can be jumped?-p4pb9443833.jpg
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    The spitfire v2 is an extremely burly frame for a 140mm bike. I suspect that it'll hold up just fine as long as you're not going huge and riding stuff with transitions. I've heard of people doing some jumping on TrCs, but as others have pointed out, it's not as stiff/strong as the Blur LTC, but that's what you get for a sub-5 lb frame. A medium spitty with shock is just under 8 lb- more than many 150-160mm bikes.

mtbr member
    The thing about the spitfire is that it seems to me like it would be too slack. guys that ride real dirt jump style jumps with steep lips like steep frame geometry. same with distortion...and both have too long of chainstays

what about the rocky mountain slopestyle bike. did you look at that one? must be a few others like it but nothing comes to mind

i think the new santa cruz bikes are more trail oriented than what OP is looking for; though i have no solid reason other than it seemed he wants a jump bike that can ride trails well not a trail bike that is ok to jump

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I suggested.spitfire.cuz he was.talkin getting up to higher elevated trails. Its labeled as the downhillers trail bike. What kind jumps are you talki. About op? Like vert style ? Or.standard trail hit and drops? As for the trance , thats a 120 bike. not sure how much geo would be affected as far a.pedaling goes. The stock setup is 69.5 @ the headtube. You endup slacking it to 68 with a 150 fork but you woukd also kick the seatube angle back another 1.5. Making it not as optimal for climbing. Yes the spitty is slack. i get the hunch the trance isnt sturdy enough when you say jump. There are bunch of other playful 140 bikes not as slack. Maybe transition Bandit at68. on the pricier side theres the intense tracer with the link in the 140 setting or the Turner 5 spot. Maybe you find one slightly used. Or the yeti 575. Again these are trail not true jump bikes. Bikes that pedal well and descend respectfully.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You could get just any 4x suspension frame with a longer seatube, a propedal shock, and put a 150 dropper post on it. Provided the tt length and seatpost angle are similar enough to a trail bike it would climb 90% like any heavy trail bike. Wallah!! 4x with pedal freindly features. Too bad they dont make a 200mm dropper.

Unless virtual tt end up too long and seat angle are too slck that could put you in a bad positiin for climbing. A little research on geoms in order here.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    What about something like the GT Distortion with its long travel front/short travel rear?
    This. I have a bike setup with a simliar type of geo (150mm front, 125mm rear) and I love it. I went to this setup after riding my DJ. I have three bikes with very distinct purposes: the DJ, a DH bike, and my trail bike, which I liked in the unbalance travel because I won't be riding hardtails on the trail anytime soon (back doesn't like the harshness on the trails).

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    how tall are you? whats your inseam. the 4x bike I looked at was the transition double. it has 14" seatube. short 22.5 tt for a large 5'7 and taller and 68 head angles. if your tall my 4x dropper idea is a no go. if your 5'7 you could totally do it. you could run a long dropper on bike like the transition double. and get pretty good leg extension and get the post almost out of the way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x frames that can climb, trail frames that can be jumped?-bikes_double_pic1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm liking the suggestions of the GT and short shocked LTC. the LTC could be converted back to full travel too for certain things, even more versatility! although I had read something about the santa cruz having something of a wallowy mid stroke. I have ridden a double and they are good fun, and plenty stiff. dunno about climbing with one though. will look into that RM 4x.
    as far as jumps, stuff like the jumps by the river in whistler for instance. 15 or so foot with 5' lips.
    5'8 32" inseam

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Goggled jumps by river at whistler. Id want more than trail bike for vert kickers like that. At least an am built frame

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic reducer View Post
    ...the LTC could be converted back to full travel too for certain things, even more versatility! although I had read something about the santa cruz having something of a wallowy mid stroke.
    FYI, you're going into the fork and rear shock to reduce travel, so it's not exactly an easy conversion back...altho not difficult either...just time consuming, unless you have another fork/rear shock to just swap out.

As for the mid-stroke wallow...in full travel, you DO need to do a bunch of air-can volume tuning to get rid of that...or go coil. The design of the suspension is the first ~ 35% of the stroke is regressive rate (or rising compression ratio). It then flattens out for ~ 5%, then it becomes a progressive rate (or falling compression ratio). You can see this on the Linkage software. The short-shocking steps you into its stroke. I shortened my stroke from 2.5 in to 2.17 in. Since the wallow point is mainly due to suspension design, the shortening of the stroke changed my wallow point to roughly the sag point...at about 30%. Trust me, the bike behaves incredibly well as a trail bike, w/o any noticeable wallow. AND, that lower BB...opens up the option to throw some 650bs on the bike and still keep its BB height under 14". This is my next mod for the bike w/ some Light-Bicycle carbon hoops

Edit: BTW, the Blur LTc was the frame they used to compare against an aluminum V10. If I recall correctly, the dyno showed the BLTc was something like 2.3x stronger than the V10...I could be off on that...but it was def stronger.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    NS soda slope could be a candidate, depending on how much you want to spend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by honns View Post
    NS soda slope could be a candidate, depending on how much you want to spend.
    i have no idea why i recommended he look at the RM slope bike when I have an NS soda FR that I love so dearly, haha!

It could actually be pretty ideal depending on a few circumstances since the seat tube is uninterrupted (the RMs is interrupted so you'd need a dropper, which may or may not be long enough). The seat tube on the soda is 13.7", so the question is: is that enough for you to get leg extension on climbs.

The other consideration the soda for long trail rides is its main pivot turns around the BB, which supposedly is not efficient for pedaling....if you ran it at 15 or 20% sag it may not be a drawback.

Other than that, I can only say that NS bikes are amazingly dialed high-end bikes and at a great value point

but in general I like Paully's modded blur...pretty cool stuff there especially when it comes to the curve rate as it relates to the mini link bikes usually being better at pedaling and going quick over square edges than being great platforms for jumps and freeriding

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I was after a fun 26" all mountain bike that i could jump and would climb well.
    I also wanted a suspension design that helped with pedalling efficency. ie: DW link, Vpp2, Quad link, fsr~.

Top of the list was the Ibis Mojo HD followed by the Santa Cruz Nomad.

Of course my mate had to get a new bike as well, i opted for the Mojo which i should get in 2 weeks.

My mate tried to get me to get the nomad, he of course did and it arrived 3 weeks ago.

I got to test out his bike last week and it feels great. the Vpp2 performed well.
    he had no trouble climbing and it was stable over jumps.
    It is miles ahead of his previous merida 140mm bike which is a single pivot linkage activated shock (faux bar).

I can wait to get the mojo and compare it to my current marin attack trail (dw link vs. quad link 2).

My 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I vote for the pivot 5.7

I take my 5.7 to my brothers bmx practice all the time. It's funny to watch me clear doubles and tables and rail the berms on a 6in bike. My buddy goes out there and rips on his 5.7 getting 6+ ft of air on the tables.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I would say go for the mojo HD in the 140mm .

However, they are releasing a new bike on Monday.
    It is rumored to be a Mojo HD 650B...
    Not sure if you want bigger wheels for jumping or not.

mtbr member
    What about the DMR bolt (long)? Looks like a rad bike!
    4x frames that can climb, trail frames that can be jumped?-bolt-xl-olly.jpg
    4130 cromo, 125mm travel, ss or geared, dropper post routing, etc. this would absolutely kill jumps AND trails!
    Products Frames Bolt Xl DMR Bikes
    DMR Bolt [Long] ? First Ride Review - BikeRadar

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast