inner peace to make peace

New question here. 36 Float vs. 36 Van

Which 160mm Fox fork would you get for AM~DH setup for a Santa Cruz Nomad frame with Fox DHX 5 w/ti' coil shock: 36 Float vs. 36 Van?
    Last edited by TrailNut; 02-17-2009 at 10:20 PM.
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

Its got what plants crave
    I'd go with the Van cuz coil is what's up. Bombproof reliability, pure butter.

tiggs

Coil

I'm with him. I've got a 36 float on my 575 and I've loved it since day one... Until I recently built up an ASX with a totem coil. I was blown away by how much smoother the coil fork is in the rocky, chunky, ledgy, nasty stuff at speed! No comparison. I've been using the ASX as my primary bike the last month or so while my 575's rear shock was being pushed. I'm now searching for a used 36 van to throw on my 575. Anyway, since your nomad has a coil rear, I'd go coil for the front with no hesitation. Good luck.

My bike is cooler then me
    I got a talas i sometimes wish was just a Van... its getting better (broken in) but i still like my buddies Van a bit more. hes got that Van on a Nomad as well fwiw.
    '09 Cannondale Moto Carbon 2

'is that a Thomson in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?'

Riiiiiide...

Coil

Just go with coil.. its simply better, er, or did i mean butter. Often you will see how some people comment that their air forks are 'as good as' or 'comparable' to coil forks. Obviously coil suspension is the standard that air suspension tries to live up to.. at least in the bike industry and at least for now.

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    If we are talking 09 forks then i have to give the thumbs up to the floats...

I went from 08 van to 09 float and jesus there is little difference in plushness BUT you get easy adjustment to your weight and some weight savings.

Never thought i'd choose air over coil but for this i would - that being said for the likes of a Totem i'd go coil just because little point in weight saving for a big bike.

Altho! if your running a DHX coil @ the back you may prefer to stay all coil sprung.
    Both are great forks just in slightly different ways.

Just my 2p worth.
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

coil is the way to go

Alien Surf Team
    I thought I read somewhere that the Van has adjustable ride height. But its not user adjustable and certainly not on-the-fly or even externally adjustable. It requires dis-assembly and swapping out some internal spacers.

Or maybe it was a hack and required cutting down some spacers. Did you see what I did there. Hack... cut. Get it?

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    i'm going to say float. i have the 2009 model and the thing is pure butter, lighter, and has great bottom out control while allowing you to actually getting all the travel. the 2009 model is much smoother and has much better damping than the previous models.

i have a knolly delirium-t with a DHX-5 coil on the back.

i will post more later today

more later today:

my am bike is also my fr/dh bike at hte moment. i ride it on everything that i wouldn't take my xc bike on. i have done some decent size double on the thing thus far (well the biggest for me) some small to mid size drops and of course the standard issue just plain ripping the trails. i love hard cornering where you are right on that traction edge the whole time. the float has actually surpassed all of my expectations and they were very high considering the price of the thing (1.5" rc2). all in all its very well behaved no matter what i have taken it through. where i am has alot of rocky rooty and just plain slick areas and the fork thus far has been composed in all situations. to be honest i like the feel just as much as my 2007 888 RC2X if not more as an aggressive fork and it was even lighter than the lyric solo air i had in the past by about .2-.3 lbs it also is much stiffer laterally and torsionally. even thought i have high expectations for this fork i was still apprehensive to buy it as i had a 2007 talas 32 that i didn't push nearly as hard as i have pushed this fork and it had some major small bump issues (you felt every last one in your wrist) and in general it was just a wet noodle (the float 36 has no such issue). then i replaced that fork with a lyric on that bike and i pretty much liked it but i had a small issue with it leaking and i though that i could be a little bit more beefy. that is the reason i put the float RC2 36 on my knolly and its been like a match in heaven as that fork just matched the performance of the frame so well.

well i hope that helps you a little
    Last edited by sir_crackien; 02-18-2009 at 06:54 PM.

pin it to win it
    Nov 2005
    [QUOTE=Razorfish]I thought I read somewhere that the Van has adjustable ride height. But its not user adjustable and certainly not on-the-fly or even externally adjustable. It requires dis-assembly and swapping out some internal spacers.

It is floats that are internaly adjustable. There are spacers that sit on the damper rod on the air side of the fork. I have a friend with a 110mm 36float on his jackal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    For my, the best is the LYRIC U-turn coil.......

hithard
    Go with the Van. Nothing better.

mtbr member
    I thought I would only be happy with a coil until i got my Float dialed in.
    Now i dont think i would take the weight penalty for the small bit of plush.
    I dont care if you disagree with me. If your ok with being wrong thats fine with me.

Didn't have the Float when I set mine up, sounds tempting, but would have to try one; I did try the Talas and didn't care for it, so got the Van (and DHX 5 coil).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

MC MasterShake
    I actually preferred my 08 Float36RC2 to my 07 Van36RC2. I had a problem with my travel spiking on the larger high speed hits with the Van. That improved dramatically with the Float. I also had a problem with bottoming out on larger drops with the Van. That didn't go away with the Float but it was much improved. As far as plushness goes I swear I could not tell a difference. It did take me some time to dial in the proper air pressure and hi/lo speed compression settings. But after that it was great. I did still have a problem with bottom out on larger drops so I replaced it with a Totem. For AM stuff it's perfect. For freeride I needed something more forgiving.

Float is very different to the Talas (09 is anyway!)

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    yeah the 09 float like i said before is soo smooth

Its got what plants crave
    Interesting.. I've never ridden a float but have ridden Vans before. I always assumed the Float was the same feel as a TALAS but minus the travel adjust. I never gave it much thought but it sounds like it's a solid fork for the money.

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    Quote Originally Posted by Codad 4
    I got a talas i sometimes wish was just a Van... its getting better (broken in) but i still like my buddies Van a bit more. hes got that Van on a Nomad as well fwiw.
    its true. I love mine and so does codad

mtbr member
    I just rode my new 09 Float for the first time yesterday. It's light years ahead of the 06-07 TALAS. In fact, Fox says the 09 TALAS is now sprung like the Float. What the others have said about the talas is true in the past but shouldn't be in the 09 (which I haven't ridden...). Anyway, I have a Nomad 2 with the Float 09 and I'm super happy with that choice. I like coil but typically fall between spring gaps and like to dial in my bike 'just so'.
    "It looks flexy"

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    i like my van, and went that direction because i'm in the coil is better box, and more on a hard numbers view, I picked the van because even if they felt the same the van was cheaper and I'm not concerned about the fraction of a pound the van saved me over the float

My bike is cooler then me
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll_Jockey
    its true. I love mine and so does codad
    i do love to watch JJ Van 36 stanchions go in and out... while his DT Swiss wrapped with a Kenda nevegal goes up and down... down and up...
    '09 Cannondale Moto Carbon 2

'is that a Thomson in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?'