Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    How can you have a 5" [travel] hardtail
    think, grasshopper. there can be a 5" travel fork on the hardtail. like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

ride hard take risks
    Green Rider

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I was riding with a guy that had a red Raligh? But that think I swear weight 40+ pounds maybe 45+ I had trouble lifting it out of the truck. It had atomic rims and 3" tires and crazy ass spokes.

The guy was a pro racer and was using it to train. I was kinda glad he was using it so I could at least keep up on my XC bike.

mtbr member

SLAYER 50 2005 Weight

I have a 2005 slayer that was around 30 last year !!!!
    WIth this thread !!!! you made me wonder if all the modifictation that I made this winter will slow me down !!!!
    I change my front fork vanilla 130 for a 36 talas rc2 and also I have changed my rims from mavvic 312 disc to azonic outlaw !!!
    So I think I gain around 2.5 pounds !!!! so it is about 33 I guess !!!

how heavy is your slayers ????????????

mtbr member
    Ya, my 31lb AC1 feels just as light a my 23lb hardtail. I am always suprised at how light it feels even after riding my hardtail- and I'm only 180lbs.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by demarp
    I have a 2005 slayer that was around 30 last year !!!!
    WIth this thread !!!! you made me wonder if all the modifictation that I made this winter will slow me down !!!!
    I change my front fork vanilla 130 for a 36 talas rc2 and also I have changed my rims from mavvic 312 disc to azonic outlaw !!!
    So I think I gain around 2.5 pounds !!!! so it is about 33 I guess !!!

Still doing well, no problem. Might want to reconnect the chain be a little hard to spin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    Yeahup. Thats' how it works.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    How can you have a 5" [travel] hardtail

as gonz said, by having a big fork on. my hardtail has nearly 6", and weighs between 28-29# depending on what tires are on it at a given time. compared to the much heavier rubber bullit, it seems like i'm riding some superlight race bike when on it!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member

Sub 26 might be better

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialBrew
    wondering the same thing myself. It seems that most of the bikes that have 5" front and rear seem to be right around 30lbs.
    A light bike is nice and you can build a sub-30 all-mountain with careful choice of components. My 5" Horst 5-spot is sub-26 with Fox/PUSH Vanilla, Rp3/PUSH, Marta 180/160 (front braided), strong Velocity/WTB wheels (http://oddsandendos.com/) and 2.3 Schwalbe tires (2.5 front might be better, and you can add 1/2 pound for platorm pedals).

But ... to be honest I find no difference in performance when i carry and extra 3-4 pouds of stuff on my back, and I cannot really see how one would feel much difference when 3-4 extra pounds are distributed over the bike: at the end of the story we are still talking 2-3% of total weight ...
    Last edited by Davide; 04-24-2006 at 10:19 AM.

mtbr member

$1000 / pound

30 pounds is an average weight for an average-priceed 5" bike. I find in general it costs about $1000 more in lightweight components or better frame for each pound you lose.

Think how much cheaper it is to cut out a few donuts and beer and take the weight off of your body. Or maybe don't top off the camelbak if you never finish the water in there on a typical ride.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    30 lbs is light IMO. My 6in front/4in rear Transition Preston weighs in at 38.6 pounds although it's more of a blur between a FR and AM build.

Double-metric mtb man
    My new aquisition is a 5"/5" trail bike. Off the rack it was 27.5 lbs, when I'm through getting all my "junk" on it (lights, cage and water bottle, emergency kit under the seat etc.) it should site at about 31lbs. My previous hardtail was 35lbs, so no, 30lbs isn't heavy for a trail bike.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I just rode my brand new custom enduro with a Fox DHX shock and Manitou Nixion Plat (SPV) in front (5.75x6"). I would have went with the manitou travis 150 but it was 2 pounds heavier. I noticed that it rode pretty well; as well as my lightwieght xc FSR bike. Although its heavier; but I think its because of the propedal and the spv bob dampening that makes it feel just as good.

The only problem it kinda skips a few small rocks here and there, the fsr with out any propeadal (cane creek rear fox talas front) just compression and rebound is one smooth ride.

Now If I can just get propedal for my xc bike, (muuhahaha!)
    Last edited by SLX; 04-30-2006 at 09:59 AM.

banned
    actually, at 29.99 lbs you are XC

at 30.0 lbs you are "All Mountain"

and at 30.01 lbs you are "light freeride"

and at 30.05 lbs you are "mild freeride"

do not transgress these rules.

"Its All Good"
    At 3 pounds you are on a AM Unicycle..................... Ride what you are happy with, there are no rules, if so break them!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    At 3 pounds you are on a AM Unicycle..................... Ride what you are happy with, there are no rules, if so break them!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dawg gonnit im in 5 pound DH Unicycle Territory, I wish my unicycle was as fast as yours!.

The Silent Rider
    Nov 2004
    There was a report done in bicycle magazine to show that bike weight only really matters to lighter riders.....there would be a slight performance increase with heavier riders but not noticable enough to matter, since heavier riders probably aren't going for to podiums as much
    YETI 575
    TREK 4900
    GIANT OCR C2

The Silent Rider
    Nov 2004

New question here. Hell....

after thinking about it. I used to ride with this guy that would ride his DH rig while I was riding my now stolen K2 Razorback 4.0. He weighed about 150 or so and I was 205.....he would smoke the crap out of me up the mountians around Colorado Springs. He would even be playing around on his bike waiting for me at the top, let alone the bottom.
    YETI 575
    TREK 4900
    GIANT OCR C2

Yay! Bikes !
    it looks like those rotors are on backwards.

OP: no, 30lbs is not heavy for a 5" bike.
    Nick.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick.
    it looks like those rotors are on backwards.
    your visual dyslexia is rather interesting.

livin' large
    Quote Originally Posted by demarp

Bout 30ish for a slayer 70 w/ mavic 819's and conti vertical pros, other much sort of stock, i generally only upgrade when I bust stuff, my slayer (i hope) has had it's weknesses purged.
    it tied the room together man!

mtbr member
    actually, at 29.99 lbs you are XC

at 30.0 lbs you are "All Mountain"

and at 30.01 lbs you are "light freeride"

and at 30.05 lbs you are "mild freeride"

do not transgress these rules.

lol.
    that's classic
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

born and bred, UK
    Dec 2004
    hell no

my 5'' travel all mountain bike must weigh about 35 lbs or more

MK_
    carpe maņana
    It depends.

A tough, durable build which can take variety of abuses is probably on a light side at 30lbs. If you intend to make compromises for the sake of saving weight, and to satisfy you personal goals with the build, 30lbs might be too much.

My 5 Spot started off at 27lbs. These days it is around 31-32lbs. And I still feel like I am sacrificing some elements for the sake lighter weight.

In the end what really makes the biggest difference from the perspective of eating up the most of your energy is the wheels. Continually accelerating heavy wheels on the ups is hard work. Rims, tubes and tires are the largest components of that as they sit the furthest from the center of rotation and thus they have the largest moment of acceleration associated with them. Hubs are less critical, however, heavy wheels do have their impact on suspension perofrmance, that does include the hubs.

At the end of the day, not drinking that beer or not eating that 3rd bowl of pasta is gonna make a bigger difference than having a 100g lighter saddle or crank arm.

I have progressively transformed my long travel XC build into a bike capable of heavy abuse, I'm not all the way there, but I am progressing in that direction as is my riding style.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    My Prophet 800 (5.5" travel front & rear) is around 30lbs but then half the fork is missing!!

Has potential to get down to around 27.5lbs

Feels a lot lighter when riding though probably because it fits me perfectly, which is very important.
    No complaints here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast