mtbr member
    Sep 2013

2k to spend need advice

He guys I am new to the forum and have been reading around a lot looking for the right bike for me.... I currently ride all road as I race ironmans but getting extremely bored on the road and looking for the best bike for around 2k for all mountain use basically something I can do some xc on but still ride hard down hill and take some decent pounding and fun jumps... I know u can't have the best of both worlds especially with my budget but any help would be greatly appreciated and guys to go riding with would be awesome......

thanks
    kevin

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Re: 2k to spend need advice

You can find many used rigs capable of both of what you want.
    I'd go with at least 5 inch travel. I have a 5.5 inch travel GT (Slx/xt/saint) and its a. great climber and takes all my beating and abuse.
    Check out pink bike. Maybe pick a few you like and post em here and myself and others can help you with some info and pros and cons, etc.
    You can get a very well equipped bike (FS) used. If you save up another $1 you can get an Ibis mojo SL(r) and its an amazing bike with a great suspension.

Sent from my HTC EVO LTE

mtbr member
    I have been buying used mountain bikes for years now. There are many used not abused great options out there. I am considering selling my 2011 large Yeti ASR-7 with full XT including Icetech brakes, 2013 shock and fork both Kashima. Fork is RC2 180 Float and the shock is a CTD. Wheels are Mavic Crossmax SX. Would take 2k! I'm socalmx on Pinkbike, plenty of pics there.

perpetual pucker factor
    best bang for the buck: Giant. Look for something like a Trance, and you'll be happy. Since you do IMs, you'll appreciate the good pedaling and light feel, but it'll still be a very capable bike on the rougher stuff. Mind you, it'll never ever be a dh bike, but it will cover a wide range of terrain. Other brands that are great, but often a bit more expensive: Santa Cruz, Yeti, Ibis, and Canfield. If you want a true DH capable bike that can still pedal, look into a Canfield One. But it's going to take some more saving. Worth every penny and more, but still expensive.

In my opinion, the worst bang for the buck are Trek and Specialized. The component specs are often decent, but it's the frame and suspension design where they often cheap out somewhat. Just my opinion.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

2k to spend need advice

Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    best bang for the buck: Giant. Look for something like a Trance, and you'll be happy. Since you do IMs, you'll appreciate the good pedaling and light feel, but it'll still be a very capable bike on the rougher stuff. Mind you, it'll never ever be a dh bike, but it will cover a wide range of terrain. Other brands that are great, but often a bit more expensive: Santa Cruz, Yeti, Ibis, and Canfield. If you want a true DH capable bike that can still pedal, look into a Canfield One. But it's going to take some more saving. Worth every penny and more, but still expensive.

In my opinion, the worst bang for the buck are Trek and Specialized. The component specs are often decent, but it's the frame and suspension design where they often cheap out somewhat. Just my opinion.
    I would not turn him off of either trek or specialized....let him form his own opinion. For what its worth...I have had multiple vpp and dw link bikes and am currently riding an fsr specialized and its by far my favorite bike I have ever had or ridden. Ride as many bikes as you can and have an open mind.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    thanks guys ya my biggest concern is getting a capable xc bike which i know pretty much all of them are but not being able to have fun with it. I am want something that I can take to the mountians and do shuttle runs every now and then but a bike that doesnt weigh in at 55lbs that I absolutly hate to pedal. Mtn biking will be more for fun and entertainment then training for me...

i looked at the ibis mojo and it is close to my budget if I find a great deal. But was wondering if I should lean towards more of a downhill bike that is capable of xc, if that makes any sense... I am new to all the MTB lingo so bare with me hahaha

mtbr member
    I have been thinking about a simular type of bike. My first thinking was a Giant Trance. I have also been looking at Treks they seem like much better value for money.

Fuel EX 7 29

Fuel EX 6

Trek Fuel EX 6 review

Sounds like you want a Slash but they are a bit more than 2K

You might get away with a "cheap" mountain bike for cross country riding. For serious gravity riding you need to spend dollars. Second hand is good if you know what to look for.

Ironman? Sell some of those fancy aero wheels
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Wonder why trek and specialized bikes are the best selling bikes in the world? Must be the lack of "bang for the buck"? Really, trek and specialized have some of the best designed suspension and frame designs around. Oh yeah, that whole lifetime warranty thing is no good either. All bikes in a given price point have near identical spec sheets. Go with fit and service from the lbs as a deciding factor. If hunting a bargain, look at airborne or other online bikes. Better specs, but less face to face service.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    What do you guys think of the giant reign I found a good deal on a 2013 it is a 160mm bike I believe.. Also is there a benefit going with 29 over 26 I could get a newer bike that is a 29 or a higher end used model that is a 26

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've been riding a trek EX 7 2012 which has the same suspension as the EX 8,9. IMO great bang for the buck! Go it new, SLX level for less than 2K. Had an intense spyder, VPP which I really liked that susp. system. Get out and demo many kinds of bikes on real trails if possible and see what feels good to you! Bottom line you need to feel whats best for you, and that may change with time , but thats OK

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    my experience in this category is with an intense spyder and a scott genius. Both light and capable, while being durable.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrive81 View Post

i looked at the ibis mojo and it is close to my budget if I find a great deal. But was wondering if I should lean towards more of a downhill bike that is capable of xc, if that makes any sense... I am new to all the MTB lingo so bare with me hahaha
    No, you should not look for a more d/h orientated bike. That type of bike will weigh more, have slacker seat tube angle making climbing more of an effort and will be more cumbersome on on 90% of the trails you will ride (I'm guessing).

That Mojo will outclass you and your riding for a long time. I don't mean any disrespect, just being honest. You will have much more fun a 5-6'' travel bike overall, as these type of bikes are extremely capable for most riding. If you find that over time you predominately ride shuttled or lift assisted d/h trails vs. trail riding then it will be time to buy a d/h specific bike. Until then, get a bike that covers the widest spectrum of mtb'ing and learn to ride and just go have fun. If you are honest with yourself I think you'd agree you really have no idea what type of mtb rider (if at all) you will be in 2 or 3 years.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Since nobody touched the wheel size question I'll try to sum it up for you. It's like religion. There are three wheel sizes available right now. 26, 650b or 27.5 (whatever they are calling it today), and 29. Don't take anyone's advice on how you will like it. Go ride them and you'll know immediately what you prefer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrive81 View Post
    What do you guys think of the giant reign I found a good deal on a 2013 it is a 160mm bike I believe.. Also is there a benefit going with 29 over 26 I could get a newer bike that is a 29 or a higher end used model that is a 26
    A Giant Reign 1 would be a good choice for the riding you described - decent climber and easily handle some jumps and drops.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    kevin,
    you really MUST demo some bikes in order to get a better understanding of what you are looking for and what you actually NEED. I say this because you mentioned a mojo HD potentially being too little bike for you to start with. even freeriding and/or DH, it would take years for your skills to surpass the mojo (insert 6 inch AM bike of choice).

in all honesty, you should probably start off with a trail bike, something in the 130-140mm travel arena. just because the advertisement of the bike doesn't say it's "all mountain" doesn't mean that you cannot give it a good thrashing. plus, it will be a much better all-rounder. Yeah, I'd rather be in a situation where I have more bike than I need versus a situation where I need a bigger bike. But, constantly having more bike than you really need can suck too.

I think that this whole AM bandwagon thing has pushed the average rider to a common misconception that everyone needs a 160mm bike in order to ride hard and have fun. Sure, most people would enjoy their rides more if they were not on a XC race bike but that is what "trail bikes" are for. If you start off with a 5-5.5 inch trail bike I am sure that you won't regret it. Once your skills progress to the point that you need something with more travel you will be in a better position to make a wise decision abou that next bike.

Until then, take a look at some of the local bike shops and see what they have coming up on clearance as the 2014's start hitting the market. You will be much better off having thrown a leg over the bike that you will end up buying.