mtbr member
    Nov 2010

29 or 27.5 All Mountain Steel Hardtail Single Speed. Help!

Need some opinions from fellow readers.

Winter project coming up...buying an All Mountain style Hardtail Steel Frame to build as a single speed. This is a dedicated FUN bike...not a race setup. Looking for super short chain stays, slack HT angle, 120mm fork..for the shorter, after-work fun rides. I'll still ride the geared full squish for big rides. On the short list is 2013 Nimble Nine, Niner ROS, & Kona Honzo. Was thinking that the bigger wheel size was a must with the single speed, since on my local trails (Durango) I'll be standing up quite a bit to push that one gear up the climbs....more traction. HOWEVER...the ultimate goal is a fun, play bike. Anyone have an opinion on this more AM geometry hardtail in a 27.5" wheel? There aren't many out there...and hardly any posts or reviews on this type of bike.

Do I pull the trigger one of these killer 29" frames currently available, or wait and try this concept in 27.5"???

Background...I currently ride a Yeti SB 95C and f'ing love it. I'm a dedicated 29er believer (for my trails) and have owned 4 over the last 6 years. I also rode a Yeti 575 for years and loved that bike as well. I haven't hopped on the much debated "tweener" size yet.

Any thoughts/opinions much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've got a Kona Honzo set up single speed and I think its pretty sweet. The bike is very fast, corners well and is so easy to just grab and go. I'm also running 2.4 Ardents front and rear which makes for a nice contact patch. I would highly recommend one. I'm also a 29er guy so don't currently have any input into the 27.5 situation.

mtbr member
    Specialized Stumpjumper 2x9 | Kona Explosif Build Project

How much further ???
    I have a Transition TransAM 29er which I know you can get single speed drop outs for. Ive enjoyed it but that doesnt mean its any better/worse then the next bike.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

squish, squish in da fish
    been riding a N9 since June, and it as ss for 2.5 months. this frame puts a **** eating grin on my face every time i ride it. i love the sliding do's slammed forward, think cs is 16.25 or 16.5 in this setting. so easy to manual and rip through corners. if you lived in my area i'd let you borrow it for a day. i don't own a 650b yet, but am looking at a mojo hdr

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    been riding a N9 since June, and it as ss for 2.5 months. this frame puts a **** eating grin on my face every time i ride it. i love the sliding do's slammed forward, think cs is 16.25 or 16.5 in this setting. so easy to manual and rip through corners. if you lived in my area i'd let you borrow it for a day. i don't own a 650b yet, but am looking at a mojo hdr
    x2.

I run my SS N9 with a 140mm F34 up front and grin ear to ear every second of it.