Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

26T chainring ???

i don't think that i am the only one that considers moving to one chainring to rule them all.
    the ideal solution was to move to the new XX1 set
    cause i don't have spare money right now i want to do the most cost effective change.

i consider myself a good technical rider with good stamina but in my riding i often use the 1-1 gear combination.
    because of the situation i did some math and found out that if i move to a 26T chainring and a 12-36T cassette i wont loose much.
    so i have two questions:
    1. does anyone uses the this gear setting ? how is it?
    2. i understand that the 26T is usually built to replace the small chainring so i don't suppose it is designed to attach itself to the crank. is there a product like that out there?

thanks in advance
    victor

mtbr member
    A 26:12 max ratio would officially make you the slowest rider on earth......

mtbr member
    Depends on tire size. I have a 22t front chainring and 11-34 cassette in the rear on my Moonlander. At 90 rpm cadence the speed is 25 km/h, which is quite allright for a fat bike - considering that I don't race.

I'm switching to a 26t chainring to get higher gearing, because currently I have no use for the lowest gearing - I run out of traction before needing them.

2: Surly Mr. Whirly is a crankset resigned so that the small chainring is positioned like a middle ring on a conventional crankset. That way your chainring won't be so much inboard that using the small end of the cassette would distort the chainline (like a small-small combo usually does). 58 BCD 26t chainrings are available.

For a regular trail bike the gearing does sound a bit small. I use 32 with 11-34 on my 26" AM bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    IMO 26t will be to small for a single chainring set up. I have a 2x10 with a 11-36 in the back and a 26t - 36t in the front, which I do like. However, I do noticed that on the very steep climbs going 26 - 36 makes me loose momentum and I'm more efficient going to the next one down. What I'm saying is that on a 26t chainring you will not use the 36t cog, but will be missing the higher gears. On a single chainring set up I would go 30 for AM if you have lots of climbing and 32 for more XC.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Of course I'm assuming 26" wheel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I consider similar gear ratio too ( I am ready to sacrifice some speed in downhills on road - the only place I need more gears ) , but if you are riding full sus 26t in front could compromise your suspension behavior - too much feedback, that's why I think of trying something like this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26T chainring ???-p4pb2710895.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I am using a 28 tooth "widgit" on a 1x9 hardtail, the widgit uses the 64 inner attachment of a xt crank, the bike is being used as urban, so I cant tell how the widgit would do on trail, but its working very well.
    The finish is not as good as MRP or Blackspire, wich I use on other bikes, but it works as a chainguide and light bashguard.

Widgit for 3 ring crankset | Widgit

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    I don't know about you, but I've spun out in a 32-11 gearing on my local singletrack. Solved the problem (kinda) by going 11-34t cassette with a 34t ring in front.

Unless you're TRYING to be slower, I'd say run a 30+t ring, get a wide-range cassette (10spd allows for 11-36 these days) and man up. After suffering for a few rides you'll end up faster on everything.

GAME ON!
    i wouldn't go any less than 32t. i think there is more than enough gearing to work on all but the steepest of climbs. i just can't see it being practical. especially by increasing the range on the cassette. if anything, i'd go to a smaller range on the cassette. something like 11-27
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    I am currently running single ring 32 12-36 on my Rune and make it through most things without pushing. I think 26 would WAY too low of a gear, just keep riding and build up some more leg strength. Lowest I would imagine going would be 30

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have a poor man XX1.

That is a Bling ring 28 t. in the front.
    And a 11-38 Cassette.
    Is OK for All Mountain Riding with lots of climbing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    sooo high

wuss
    Quote Originally Posted by b1rdie View Post
    I am using a 28 tooth "widgit" on a 1x9 hardtail, the widgit uses the 64 inner attachment of a xt crank, the bike is being used as urban, so I cant tell how the widgit would do on trail, but its working very well.
    The finish is not as good as MRP or Blackspire, wich I use on other bikes, but it works as a chainguide and light bashguard.
    It works as a chainguide, but it DOES NOT work as a bash guard, even a light one. The moment it sees an obstacle it folds over.

wuss
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    i wouldn't go any less than 32t. i think there is more than enough gearing to work on all but the steepest of climbs. i just can't see it being practical. especially by increasing the range on the cassette. if anything, i'd go to a smaller range on the cassette. something like 11-27
    That would depend on the trails you ride though? I had 28t, now 32... I do like the higher gearing going down, but 28t definitely had it's moment on slower technical trails where higher gearing was not needed.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by dropadrop View Post
    That would depend on the trails you ride though? I had 28t, now 32... I do like the higher gearing going down, but 28t definitely had it's moment on slower technical trails where higher gearing was not needed.
    This, pretty much. I'm running a 30 x 11-36 on three bikes.

Most of where I ride is a lot of short climbs and descents. They are tight and twisty enough, and with enough slow techy bits in between that spinning out on the way down isn't an issue, and neither is needing a granny.

Also am coming from a start as a roadie, so spinning a faster cadence in a lower gear is what I'm used to as opposed slower with a higher gear.

To the OP: pick up a few rings of different sizes, try them out, see what works for you and your riding. What works for one person may not work for everyone else, eh?
    Last edited by scrublover; 12-17-2012 at 03:02 AM.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    I used to run a 38/29 to a 11-34 on a 26". The 29-34 made for some hard climbs but it could be done. The 29 was good for quick accelerations too. I ride in New England,it worked for me. I can see a 28 or 30 working out well,not much for dirt roads but fine elsewhere.

usually cranky
    what kind of crank? if it is spider less you can have someone custom fab you a 26t version of a bling ring. if not just buy a 26t granny and a blackspire granny god.

mtbr member
    One thing to note: the way to get fast lap times and better average speed is mostly about avoiding low speeds. A higher momentary top speed you might achieve with higher gearing doesn't have that much of an effect on your total time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    thanks for the replies but i just now saw them ... the system didnt notified me that someone replied :-)

I changed my target and now i am thinking on 28T

on my bike i have 22-32 front and 11-34 back.
    currently on my rides i find myself using the 1-1 and 1-2 combos on long climbs. my bike weights around 15Kg and i need to use these gears.
    i want to put the 26T because this will put my most easy gear between my 1-2 and 1-3 gears and with a little hard work i will get use to it.
    the problem is that after talking to my LBS he told me that i will need a special chainguide for a single chainring.
    when i first thought about the setup i cam up with the current thinkg:
    1. finding a 28T that can replace my middle 32T chainring (better chain line?)
    2. using my current blackspire C4 bashgaurd to keep the chain from falling out
    3. keeping my blackspire stinger chain guide for tension

will this be enough?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm running a 1x8 with 11-32 at the back and 34 teeth up front, I do occasionally want a lower gear when I'm tired but the top gear is just about perfect. I'll be switching to a 1x10 set-up with 11-36 back and keeping the 34 toothed ring up front, I reckon that will give me a wide enough range for just about anything.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Going to try 30x38 thinking it might be the perfect range for me and the terrain I mostly ride,from techy single track to DH runs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    so i didint get any answer yet

if I take my current setup:
    1. SLX crankset with 22T-32T-bashgaurd
    2. blackspire stinger chain tensioner
    3. front derailer

on this setup i:
    1. ditch my inner chainring
    2. remove the front derailer
    3. replace the 32T chainring with 30T

will it work? what else i need to add so the chain wont fall from the chainring?
    if you can suggest cost effective solution it will be better since I am on a tight budget.

10x in advance|

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    i just found the following device
    N Gear Jump Stop Chain Guide 1 3 8" 34 9mm New | eBay

could this solve the problem a keep the chain from falling inward?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I would go for a 32-34 personally but 30-32 should be fine. You probably ride harder than I do but I've found that as long as I replace the chain / front ring when needed the chain never comes off. As you're on a budget, try it without the chain guide first and see how it goes.

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    ...spinning out on the way down isn't an issue...

Also am coming from a start as a roadie, so spinning a faster cadence in a lower gear is what I'm used to as opposed slower with a higher gear.
    +1, A quick burst of 100+ cadence will put a rider at 36+ tooth speed (which is usually trail limited anyway) then the downhill momentum will maintain that speed. A small front may give up some fire road downhill speed tho = so what

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    To the OP: pick up a few rings of different sizes, try them out, see what works for you and your riding. What works for one person may not work for everyone else, eh?
    Great advice.

P

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast