Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Is 26er a dying breed?

I don't want to start a heated discussion. Just out of curiosity trying to find out what you guys think.
    I own a FS 29er, FS 26er converted to a 650b and have been following the fast 650b development for last 2 years.
    The current trend in the industry makes me believe the 26er bikes are becoming less popular. Just look at some manufacturers, Intense and enve both said the 26er is dead. So many small and mid-sized producers replacing them with 650b and 29". Forks, wheels, tires, almost everything new is aimed at 650b.
    It's only question of time when one of the 3 big bike companies will jump on the wagon.
    The speed with which the trend is running is astonishing.
    It took The 29" revolution to fully kick in 3x longer, at least.
    So what do you think?
    Where will we be in 2 years and do you think you will like the future?
    Last edited by jazzanova; 02-03-2013 at 06:53 PM.

banned
    Aug 2012
    There's about 50 threads that discuss this question.

mtbr member
    more choices more better

mtbr member
    29ers seem to have eaten up the XC market, and for good reason. They don't seem to have much penetration into longer travel disciplines.
    650b doesn't seem like much of a change from 26, but you can't sell someone something they've already got, can you?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    This is the most objective side by side comparison I've found and the testers preferred 26 over 27.5 and 29.

Opinion: 26 vs 27.5 vs 29-inch Wheels - Pinkbike

mtbr member

Re: Is 26er a dying breed?

When I was shopping for my second bike I was basically told to bypass 26 completely since its only a matter of time before they are out of product lines. However I think the reason the smaller companies are embracing the change to the new wheel sizes is to corner the market before the "big bike companies" can revise. My .02 might now be worth much but it makes sense in my head.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpledesign View Post
    When I was shopping for my second bike I was basically told to bypass 26 completely since its only a matter of time before they are out of product lines. However I think the reason the smaller companies are embracing the change to the new wheel sizes is to corner the market before the "big bike companies" can revise. My .02 might now be worth much but it makes sense in my head.

I agree, I think you are on to something here. The small companies are trying to jump onto the bandwagon before it's a bandwagon, if that makes sense... lol
    Buy a f-ing bike maybe you wouldn't be fat

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I will stay with the failing 26" wheel size. One day the "IN" thing will to be in the place that I have never left.
    All this hype is great for the sales of bikes and the bike companies are loving it.

Read what MBA has to say about 26 vs 27.5 vs29 FS bikes. Watch Pinkbikes video on this subject. Interesting to say the least.

mtbr member

The bottom line is always going to be "ride what you like"

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm not one to follow the crowds, I'll be countersociety and keep my 26in wheels. It will just make the 26ers more exclusive and people will say "whoa that guys on a 26er" instead of "oh look another 29er"

Lightly salted
    I have 5 bikes all 26" except a 29" hardtail. Guess what bike I'm going to be selling, the 29er. I just find the small wheels more fun to ride.

Quiet Professional
    Right now we are sticking with the 26". Looking for a bike for my wife and it is a 26". Right now I feel it works fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    I have 5 bikes all 26" except a 29" hardtail. Guess what bike I'm going to be selling, the 29er. I just find the small wheels more fun to ride.
    YES!!!

I swear, when I join in on some of the big group rides, I'm the ONLY 26er rider. my first REAL mtb was a 29er but I sold it to fun a full sus trance x (26er) and I love it. I did, however, try to sell it once but got ridiculous lowball offers and just decided to give up selling it until I get some more races under my belt and figure out exactly what I want. The bike is fun as hell and I do borrow my friends 29ers (fs and ht) sometimes and it definitely feels faster on these smooth xc trails but its just not as fun, you know? I can definitely get the trance in the air a lot easier too. I lack fluid cornering ability so they are about the same (
    to me) on the 2 wheel sizes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I enjoy my brand new 26er, just like all my other mountain bikes, that have all had 26 inch wheels. Might a larger wheel smooth out the root gardens around here, yeah but at a sacrifice for corning ability and railing berms. And when people start passing me left and right when I am in good shape on my 26er I might think something is wrong with em, but right now I'm the one passing the 29ers out on the trail with my oldschool antiquated troglodytic caveman wheels.

My wheels aren't holding me back, so why do I need bigger wheels?

Tire technology has also gotten to the point that I have more grip than I used to, which means less drifting. Taking a corner with a nice two wheel drift without inducing it with your brakes is fun, a larger wheel would just make that even more difficult.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    Exactly. Smaller wheels are more fun to ride. Period. If you like to put in miles on what is basically a dirt road, then go with 29" wheels. If you like to actually ride the bike rather than tag along for the ride, 26/27.5" is for you. I have a big-wheeled bike. It's a road bike.

mtbr member
    Tons of people are going back to 26ers lately. The big companies are still churning out tons of new high end 26ers as well, and they're still the majority of bikes sold. They're not going anywhere.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have to ask, in the wake of recent threads on other forums: Is this thread serious?
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

THAT guy
    I own both (though in two different breeds) and I enjoy both. I had a 26" HT before my 29er Stumpy and would never go back to a 26" HT for a "XC" bike... With that said, I would NEVER get a 29er "AM" or long travel bike. They are not as responsive or as durrable as a good 26". 26" isn't going anywhere, anyone that says otherwise is a fool. 29er wheels simply don't fit everyone, or every style of riding.
    Bikes:
    2010 Spec Enduro comp.
    2013 Specialized Demo 8 (build)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    I have to ask, in the wake of recent threads on other forums: Is this thread serious?
    I'd like to see the mods put all the no right answer threads in one spot.

29Vs26

Flat vs clips

Dropper vs none

Carbon vs aluminun

Then sticky them all in the beginners section. We can have 200pages of clips vs flats for people to read.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

So which one is it, clips or flats!?

There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    So which one is it, clips or flats!?

one of each

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpledesign View Post
    one of each
    Pedal bikes are a dying breed.

Cow Clicker
    Probably.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

THAT guy
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    Pedal bikes are a dying breed.
    Thats truly AM! Badass
    Bikes:
    2010 Spec Enduro comp.
    2013 Specialized Demo 8 (build)

Trail Ninja
    ^ try to imagine a wheelie on that thing.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast