Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by brunomu View Post
    what im shure is dead is the old 26 hardtail.
    I just put together my newest bike-a 26" hardtail.

15.5" chain stays are not happening with a 29" wheel.

I like 29ers, I rented a Tallboy and thought it was great but again, one wheel size will never be best for all situations across the board.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    this whole thread makes me want to buy a bighit with a 24" rear wheel.
    Man, I'm still running 24x2.75 in the rear on my POS KHS! Retro is super cool!Is 26er a dying breed?-546798_4173686233745_1702777860_n.jpg

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    World champion is on 650b. But I, for one, truly, deeply do not care what pro's run. I ain't frigging racing the clock every time out.

No racers ride fatbikes, but they are fun and getting popular. It is not about racing.
    If more people could remember this, we'd have a lot less multi-thousand dollar (target marketing) bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vw_steggie View Post
    Man, I'm still running 24x2.75 in the rear on my POS KHS! Retro is super cool!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	546798_4173686233745_1702777860_n.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	308.6 KB 
ID:	771989
    Now i have proof that my ex was cheating on me with a down hiller

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    But they do have lots of AM and XC tires in 26" flavor! As for there being "more money" in other tire sizes...how do you figure? The majority of the market is still in 26" wheels, even though the other sizes are gaining in popularity.
    I would guess expanding the line to the other wheel sizes has to cut into their available resources, meaning they can't continue all the other tires and introduce new ones as well. It's just unfortunate for me that the ones they cut were the ones I like. With the exception of the Mutano 2.5, everything else they make for 26" now is 2.35 or smaller.

I also wonder if they changed something in their manufacturing process - I've never completely destroyed a set of tires like the Bronson 2.35's I tried last year.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    I would guess expanding the line to the other wheel sizes has to cut into their available resources, meaning they can't continue all the other tires and introduce new ones as well. It's just unfortunate for me that the ones they cut were the ones I like. With the exception of the Mutano 2.5, everything else they make for 26" now is 2.35 or smaller.

I also wonder if they changed something in their manufacturing process - I've never completely destroyed a set of tires like the Bronson 2.35's I tried last year.
    WTB has been going the direction of more narrow tires for a while now.

I don't think companies are going to stop producing the 26" Hans Dampf or Kenda Nevegal or the Maxxis Minions or High Rollers, so not all companies are giving up on wide 26" tires.

Specialized, OTOH, may only produce 29" tires at the rate they're going.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member

Re: Is 26er a dying breed?

Unless they find a way to manufacture a wheel as strong as a 26 and keep a wheelbase and slack angles on par with the 26in bikes....not ever going away. I still say it's personal preferences like feel or confidence (which can sometimes be the same).

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Simpledesign; 02-16-2013 at 07:51 AM.
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: Is 26er a dying breed?

No.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    People, in general, do and will always care alot about what others think. It's a kinda stupid way to justify their own choice instead of looking into their own soul and the core out riding (the happiness). It's the beauty of it all, it's all up to us! Personally I wouldn't want a 29er because I'm pretty tiny and thus ride smaller bikes. So a small frame and giant wheels look stupid and feels wrong, unbalanced, etc. Shallow (and also stupid) yes, maybe, but it's part of what makes me happy riding.

So here we go: FS 26er FTW!111one!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpledesign View Post
    Unless they find a way to manufa
    cture a wheel as strong as a 26 and keep a wheelbase and slack angles on par with the 26in bikes....not ever going away. I still say it's personal preferences like feel or confidence (which can sometimes be the same).

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2
    Totally agree with this poster for me it's like riding a 250 dirt bike when you can't whipp the thing around.... I've seen 125s smoke 250s on the track because guys were getting ridden by the bike instead of them riding the bike what's all the extra hp do when u can't feel comfortable riding

just ride
    Oct 2006

Good job! Re: Is 26er a dying breed?

I've been riding actively since 2010. I've tried 29er and 650b. Everytime I tried these big wheel sizes, I end up buying a new bike but in 26. LOL

2007 Gary Fisher Tassajarra
    2008 Santa Cruz Blur LT
    2009 Scott Genius 50
    2010 Ebay Carbon special (19 lbs XC)
    2010, 2011 & 2012 On-One 456 (I had 3)
    2011 Santa Cruz Nickel
    2012 Stumpy Carbon Expert Evo (FSR)
    2012 Santa Cruz Superlight

All in 26er and I'm looking into buying another bike and yes, it's another 26er. I don't think this 650b will kill the 26 market.
    Last edited by Tjay; 02-17-2013 at 03:39 PM.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I race XC on 29ers. They are super fast. But big wheels are inherently weaker and flexier than the smaller counterparts.

I hope to sell my SS 29er and build an On One 456 or Blue Pig with a 140-150mm fork to have more fun on.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    i think very tall persons will find a 29er easier to handle , no ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DimGR View Post
    I'm 6' 3" tall, and I prefer 26ers to 29ers, although my newly converted 650b Superlight is absolutely awesome...

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DimGR View Post
    It is easier to make a well fitting 29r for a tall person. Handling would more of a question of fit and geometry, before the wheel size.

Unpredictable
    It is here, because all the 26 riders are out repairing the muddy trails the dumba$$ 29 morons ride to prove how good they are. You're not good - you are a $hit rider or you'd be somewhere else when the trails are at risk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    It is here, because all the 26 riders are out repairing the muddy trails the dumba$$ 29 morons ride to prove how good they are. You're not good - you are a $hit rider or you'd be somewhere else when the trails are at risk
    Wow...I hope you enjoy riding more than being on the internet.

I have 2 29ers because that's what the LBS recommended for the trails I intend to ride (original plan was a 26" for my second bike). I do work on my skills as I am a new rider so no, I'm not great and haven't made that claim. Lastly I do go out and help with trail building and make sure I am not damaging a trail just because I could go out and ride. We aren't all jacka$$ess trying to catch 3 feet of air and acting like we just won Rampage. I really hope that you aren't so jaded to 29ers that you can't enjoy a ride if you pass one.
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

mtbr member
    I love my 29er but still ride my 26er. One disadvantage to the 29er is highly technical rocky climbs. I do not have the ability to pull up the front tire as easy on the 29er as I do on the 26er. The 29er seems more planted and sure on the single track and tracks well over roots and rocks at speed but when you need to hop up rocks and are in very tight rock gardens there is nothing like a 26er.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpledesign View Post
    Wow...I hope you enjoy riding more than being on the internet.

I have 2 29ers because that's what the LBS recommended for the trails I intend to ride (original plan was a 26" for my second bike). I do work on my skills as I am a new rider so no, I'm not great and haven't made that claim. Lastly I do go out and help with trail building and make sure I am not damaging a trail just because I could go out and ride. We aren't all jacka$$ess trying to catch 3 feet of air and acting like we just won Rampage. I really hope that you aren't so jaded to 29ers that you can't enjoy a ride if you pass one.
    It was tongue in cheek, but based on fact in this area. I am jaded with nothing to do with MTB.

mtbr member
    I think once the larger companies pick up on the 650B fad, then it will really take off. I've talked to a Specialized rep and he told me that they're going to wait a little bit longer to see where it goes and if it dies out. Once companies like Specialized, Giant, Trek and Cannondale (among others) start to produce 650Bs, I think its going to remain pretty unknown to the average biker who doesn't have $3K-$5K to spend on an Intense Tracer or a Norco Range Killer. If a 650B comes out for $1000 or less, then I can see it taking off. And even when/if it does take off, I don't see 26ers going anywhere. I think 26ers have a tremendously loyal fan base of riders...like me.

dwt
    mtbr member

Is 26er a dying breed?

Fuel on the fire:

http://reviews.mtbr.com/26er-or-29er...the-old-pueblo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    "The 26er is not dead, it just smells funny." Best line haha!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    I was surprised 26 delivered better times during an xc race like that. It does makes sense though: smaller wheels take less energy to turn over in addition to being lighter, stiffer, and more agile.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I guess I'm just old school and like the way a 26" wheel looks. 29" just looks strange to me.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    I think 26ers have a tremendously loyal fan base of riders...like me.
    8sp had a loyal base of riders.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast