Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Trail Ninja
    I get your point, in terms of performance that comes with good fit, but you're being a bit closed minded now. What kind of picture goes through your mind of fitting your daughter on a 58+" (2x bigger than a 29er) two-wheeled pedal powered vehicle? Don't turn this thread into a picture gallery of clown bikes. (Click to see image to see if you were imagining anything like this... this thing redefines all-terrain, as it can travel on top of water too) The point behind the pic is to be open minded. You are focusing on a very narrow set of requirements.

This kind of talk reminded me of this video: LINK. It seems that guy adapted to a very awkward fit. People get mad when their BBs are 13.5" or taller, or wheelbases longer than 45", on their bikes... well, no point to this other than there are people who have fun regardless.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 02-12-2013 at 05:12 PM.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    I get your point, in terms of performance that comes with good fit, but you're being a bit closed minded now.
    About what? About performance benefits of a larger wheel? Bollocks. I would not buy another XC hardtail with 26" wheels, it makes sense and 29 or 650b fits me great. But you are closed minded if you do not see the other side. Physics will always be the same. Wheel stiffness decreases as cube of diameter. Weight increases linearly. And humans are of certain nature given size. And very few of them race against clock.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    I get your point, in terms of performance that comes with good fit, but you're being a bit closed minded now. What kind of picture goes through your mind of fitting your daughter on a 58+" (2x bigger than a 29er) two-wheeled pedal powered vehicle? Don't turn this thread into a picture gallery of clown bikes. (Click to see image to see if you were imagining anything like this... this thing redefines all-terrain, as it can travel on top of water too) The point behind the pic is to be open minded. You are focusing on a very narrow set of requirements.

This kind of talk reminded me of this video: LINK. It seems that guy adapted to a very awkward fit. People get mad when their BBs are 13.5" or taller, or wheelbases longer than 45", on their bikes... well, no point to this other than there are people who have fun regardless.
    Reading this really confirms to me you totally took my post above out of context. I was mocking all the different standards the bike industry throws at us, and how when it comes down to it, it doesn't make much difference. I'm sorry you didn't see that and felt the need to neg rep me. And in turn confirms my neg repping of you as you seem to be a bit hypocritical with your "open minded comment" and then being insulted by my post.
    For the record I have a 29er HT as well as a 26er FS and enjoy the heck out of both of them. Happy trails riding whatever bike you want.
    Last edited by Douger-1; 02-12-2013 at 05:51 PM.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Axe
    Custom User Title
    What we all are forgetting here is that the most important bike characteristic is color.

I had to discard a perfectly good Kona and order Nicolai because that was the easier way to get the right hue of blue on the frame that my daughter helped me to pick - and without any silly colorway combinations that are so popular now. Seriously, some of the graphics offered are borderline disgusting.

Maybe I can repaint Kona too, but that is a bit of a hassle. It just did not ride well with its puke brown color.

Wheel size is not nearly as important.

Trail Ninja
    My 29er HT has a terrible fit, with a front end too high (steep HA, long head tube, ext headset, big wheel), seat too low (sub 12" BB), the front wheel rubbing my toe, and really short seat tube that accepts a 27.2 post which meant shitty (or expensive) dropper post options. I went from having fun popping off even the smallest stone sticking halfway out of the ground, bunny hopping over things, and skidding around and having fun on my 26HT, to getting NO AIR and just cruising for miles with out any style on a two niner.

I did not like that HT much, and I should really sell it, yet I still bought a Yeti SB95, a "long travel" 29er, despite demo'ing it back to back with a ASR5c and SB66. No logic what so ever behind the decision! I blame marketing! I don't see why do people buy these things up. *sarcasm*

Riding them is fun in their own right, even my ill-fitting 29 HT. They alter the challenge of my local trails and I ride them each differently. People can buy speed, stability, confidence, capability, and even buy a little style (zomg flickable for srs whips!). Death to having only a few options? Oh noes, my wallet can't take it. Must make noise to stop it.

mtbr member
    this whole thread makes me want to buy a bighit with a 24" rear wheel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Re: Is 26er a dying breed?

Are 26ers a dying breed...?

I wonder where the nearest sperm bank is...
    Maybe I could sell some plasma. I don't know I'm just broke as hell.

Wheel size?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEf5V...e_gdata_player
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I still don't understand the debate, here. If you have a particular riding style on particular trails, then there is the perfect bike with the perfect components out there for you. If you do your research, you'll find it. If you can't, then that's why, thankfully, we have bike shops. Too many standards is only really a problem for dealers, as they have to stock the parts. They don't have it? Call another one or wait a couple of days for them to order it. It's not the end of the world. Will everybody notice the difference between a 26" and 27.5" wheel? No. Will others? Yes! True, new standards are driven by manufacturers to sell more products, but there's nothing wrong with choices. Will prices go up as companies put more $$ into research and molds for new standards? Sure. However, you can spend $700 today and get a pretty darn good bike that would beat the crap out of a $2000 bike from 10 years ago. Things are getting more expensive, but a lot of people don't need to keep up with the trends. Do you need to buy a new bike with a tapered headtube, 650b wheels, 142mm rear end, 15mm axle fork, and tubeless compatible tires to enjoy the trails? Absolutely not. When the time does come for a new bike, however, isn't it nice to know that your new bike will be maximized for your particular needs? Stay informed and do your research, and use the options to your advantage. You don't want 29" wheels? Great, you have other options. Don't buy them and be happy. Dumbing down technology for the few people that don't understand it is stupid. Kind of like dumbing down trails for the few people that can't ride a more advanced trail, isn't it? Options are good, whether you need them or not.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I just went two months of hell trying to decide which wheel size I wanted. I started out wanting HT 29er, then FS 29er, then HT or FS 650b and finally just settled on SC Heckler solely because with that frame you can have both 26er and 650b. I think that is something everyone is forgetting is that a lot of these 26er frames can accept 650b wheels without issues. I went with the Heckler also because I am a big guy (6'3 270lbs) and a 29er wheel just seems like it will be easy to taco for AM riding. What really sold me to stay with the 26er is that most of the frames built around 26er wheels can be converted, and as more and more becomes available for the 650b prices will come down and I will buy a 650b wheel set.

dwt
    mtbr member

Is 26er a dying breed?

Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    I don't see any market for a 27.5 or 29" dirt jumper.
    Is 26er a dying breed?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1360767044.202360.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    If 29'ers are Gay, are 27.5'ers Bi-curious?

troll
    Over the course of the past two years, I've gotten rid of all my 700 bikes except for one silly Italian track bike that is just too pretty to let go at this point. Now, my 5 main bikes are all 26". The cool thing is, they're all Surlys, and all but one of them, my LHT, will accept wheels larger than 26" if for some reason it ever becomes hard to get 26" wheels... but I see "swing bikes" coming back into fashion before I see that ever happening, so I'm not sweating it.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    I still don't understand the debate, here. If you have a particular riding style on particular trails, then there is the perfect bike with the perfect components out there for you. If you do your research, you'll find it. If you can't, then that's why, thankfully, we have bike shops. Too many standards is only really a problem for dealers, as they have to stock the parts. They don't have it? Call another one or wait a couple of days for them to order it. It's not the end of the world. Will everybody notice the difference between a 26" and 27.5" wheel? No. Will others? Yes! True, new standards are driven by manufacturers to sell more products, but there's nothing wrong with choices. Will prices go up as companies put more $$ into research and molds for new standards? Sure. However, you can spend $700 today and get a pretty darn good bike that would beat the crap out of a $2000 bike from 10 years ago. Things are getting more expensive, but a lot of people don't need to keep up with the trends. Do you need to buy a new bike with a tapered headtube, 650b wheels, 142mm rear end, 15mm axle fork, and tubeless compatible tires to enjoy the trails? Absolutely not. When the time does come for a new bike, however, isn't it nice to know that your new bike will be maximized for your particular needs? Stay informed and do your research, and use the options to your advantage. You don't want 29" wheels? Great, you have other options. Don't buy them and be happy. Dumbing down technology for the few people that don't understand it is stupid. Kind of like dumbing down trails for the few people that can't ride a more advanced trail, isn't it? Options are good, whether you need them or not.
    Im not sure if this was directed at me in part but I'll take a stab at it.

First no one is saying to dumb down technology. My point is there is a difference between theoretical data, emperical data, and user experience. I wont go into detail but that is all I was trying to say. You can add 2mm to my stanchon tube diameter and add 3/4 of an inch to the radius of my wheel and sell me on how theoretically it makes everything better. But when it comes down to it, for the average person on the trail, I really doubt you can quantify those very small changes into any real tangible performance gain. If your user experience is better because you think you can notice a 2mm increase in stanchon tube diameter even though emperical data shows no performance increase than great !!! But lets call it what it is.

In addition as someone who works on their bikes and keeps them a very long time I find the number of standards frustrating. My Slayer has a 20mm TA but when looking for my 29er HT good luck finding a 29er fork with 20mm TA. Yes the Revelation used to come in 20mm but has recently gone to 15mm. What does this mean? Now I have to buy 15mm TA adaptors for my trueing stand. Now I have to buy a 15mm TA adaptor for my roof rack. Now if I want to move the hub from my 29er to my Slayer I have to spend more $$$ to buy a new axle conversion kit. And what are we as consumers getting for all of this other than a lighter wallet?

Thats fine if you disagree with me. I am all for riding what you want. Its your money. Im just raising another view point. I apologize if people like Varaxis are insulted by my posts.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Im not sure if this was directed at me in part but I'll take a stab at it.

First no one is saying to dumb down technology. My point is there is a difference between theoretical data, emperical data, and user experience. I wont go into detail but that is all I was trying to say. You can add 2mm to my stanchon tube diameter and add 3/4 of an inch to the radius of my wheel and sell me on how theoretically it makes everything better. But when it comes down to it, for the average person on the trail, I really doubt you can quantify those very small changes into any real tangible performance gain. If your user experience is better because you think you can notice a 2mm increase in stanchon tube diameter even though emperical data shows no performance increase than great !!! But lets call it what it is.

In addition as someone who works on their bikes and keeps them a very long time I find the number of standards frustrating. My Slayer has a 20mm TA but when looking for my 29er HT good luck finding a 29er fork with 20mm TA. Yes the Revelation used to come in 20mm but has recently gone to 15mm. What does this mean? Now I have to buy 15mm TA adaptors for my trueing stand. Now I have to buy a 15mm TA adaptor for my roof rack. Now if I want to move the hub from my 29er to my Slayer I have to spend more $$$ to buy a new axle conversion kit. And what are we as consumers getting for all of this other than a lighter wallet?

Thats fine if you disagree with me. I am all for riding what you want. Its your money. Im just raising another view point. I apologize if people like Varaxis are insulted by my posts.
    My post wasn't directed at anybody in particular. I just get a kick out of it when people say things are getting too expensive or there are too many choices! Everybody's got an opinion, which is why there are so many options in the first place. I 100% agree that most people won't notice the difference between a 15 and 20mm front axle or tubed and tubeless wheels. However, some people do, and they might get more enjoyment if their front wheel tracks a little straighter in the rocks. My point in general is to buy what you need or what you want. Don't buy it because somebody tells you you need it. Be an informed buyer, and enjoy the technology we have!

mtbr member
    I drank the 29er cool-aid and now back on a 26. Last I look a year ago I think 26 inch was still winning on the xc worldcup level. Retro is cool.

dwt
    mtbr member

Is 26er a dying breed?

Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post

My point in general is to buy what you need or what you want. Don't buy it because somebody tells you you need it. Be an informed buyer, and enjoy the technology we have!
    Is 26er a dying breed?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1360798550.309865.jpg

I would only add: If you can tell the difference between different components ( whatever they are) buy the one you like best and keep smiling. If you cannot tell the difference, do not waste money on a hyped component. If you are a casual rider, buy the cheapest bike available (from a reputable shop, NOT Walmart, Costco,Target, or Dix) that you can ride comfortably, so long as the shop warrants it won't fall apart and will replace parts that break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Why is wheel diameter such an emotional and sensitive issue? Are bike owners worried that if the other size becomes the standard, then their bikes will be worthless? There are so many options out there for everything (forks, frames, seats, pedals, etc, etc) but nothing seems to generate arguments like 26 vs 29.

What's the story here?

troll
    Quote Originally Posted by jason_recliner View Post
    nothing seems to generate arguments like 26 vs 29.

What's the story here?
    "Emotional and sensitive" could give a clue here... could it simply be the same old story that always comes up when comparing things... everyone wants a bigger _______, or they want to say they have a big __________.

Insert whatever noun works for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brokebike View Post
    "Emotional and sensitive" could give a clue here... could it simply be the same old story that always comes up when comparing things... everyone wants a bigger _______, or they want to say they have a big __________.

Insert whatever noun works for you.
    Rim?

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    I find it difficult to take any opinion seriously that would imply one wheel size is superior to all others universally.

Everything is a compromise. Be it wheel size, frame material, suspension design, nothing is best at everything having attributes which may be well suited for some applications but poorly suited for others.

But hey, it's only facts and physics

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Re: Is 26er a dying breed?

I bet if you go back to the very first mtbr 26v29 debate, I bet its really just manufacturers and lbs' in disguise to get their product to sell. I'm going to do 5xc races this year on a 28lb 5" 26er and i don't give a fuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhq! :beer:
    Last edited by kikoraa; 02-14-2013 at 05:12 AM.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

Stand back
    I think the only thing to get really concerned about is that manufacturers will abandon the lesser selling wheel size (or whatever standard). It's already happened with tires, to some degree. WTB dropped their wider 26" offerings, as there is more money to be made in 27.5 and 29 right now. RIP, 2.5 Weirwolf, 2.55 Weirwolf LT, 2.5 Moto Raptor...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    I think the only thing to get really concerned about is that manufacturers will abandon the lesser selling wheel size (or whatever standard). It's already happened with tires, to some degree. WTB dropped their wider 26" offerings, as there is more money to be made in 27.5 and 29 right now. RIP, 2.5 Weirwolf, 2.55 Weirwolf LT, 2.5 Moto Raptor...
    IDK if 27.5 wheels are the reason for that, it looks like they don't have ANY DH/FR tires on their website anymore:
    WTB » Products – Tires

But they do have lots of AM and XC tires in 26" flavor! As for there being "more money" in other tire sizes...how do you figure? The majority of the market is still in 26" wheels, even though the other sizes are gaining in popularity.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    i have 2 all mountain full suspension bikes 26 inch, and a 29er hardtail,i love my full suspension bikes for downhill suff and jumping even technical climbing i like,but i have to admit that something good is in that 29er hardtail and i enjoy so much riding that bike, in the downhills i can`t go as fast and can`t jump as good as my all mountain, but this is a hardtail bike and is very good to be a simple hardtail i even feel that is better in the downhills that any cross country full supension 26ers, and don`t even talk about the climbing, is so fast but you need sometimes to put more power to the pedals thats it, im really want to try all mountain 29er full suspension maybe kona satori or stumpjumper fsr evo 29er, for shure my next bike is gona be 29er all mountain, as for 27.5 i think that is so close to 26er that are little difference, what im shure is dead is the old 26 hardtail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    nah

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast