Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zgroove View Post
    Its not the bike, its the rider and the trails that you ride.
    Without the bike your just hiking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Without the bike your just hiking.
    +1

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Q: "Is the 26'r a dying breed?"

A: No.

Next question.
    Check out my You Tube Channel

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I still ride 7 and 8 speed...and 26ers too.
    I'm not gonna throw away or sell my old parts/bikes because 29ers are here. I'll just add 29ers to the pile of toys til the next delightful design comes along.
    ...and the next one after that.
    ...so all of my "I haven't rode a bike since I was a kid" buddies can have something else to laugh about.
    ...til the next buke design comes along.
    We don't need a bunch of creeps on the trails anyway...right?
    Solid on that.
    Ride On.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

LCW
    mtbr member

Is 26er a dying breed?

Honestly does it really matter? 26"...27.5"...29"... They're all just bikes. Can't we just ride whatever and call it good... This whole wheel "debate" is getting f'ing old...
    Last edited by LCW; 03-16-2013 at 07:30 AM.

EVIL Following
    Yeti
    SB-66A

Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    This thread is a laugh.... It's like saying 34 inch waist pants are better then 32....what's comfortable is what works

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Is 26er a dying breed?

Yes, every bike company that currently builds 26" bikes has a replacement in the works that is equipped with 650b tires. Not sure what companies like Niner have planned. When the 2014 models are introduced people will start to get an idea of the size of the 650b steamroller headed our way. 2015 will be the final nail in the coffin.

formerly uncle mama
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    8sp had a loyal base of riders.
    Not to derail the thread but...8 speed was the most reliable in my opinion. Yes, those 34-36 tooth cogs are appreciated now but, they are garbage! I have bent so many 9 speed cassettes...I'm afraid to even try the 10 speed.

As far as 26" bikes go, I'm on the fence? I'm a tall rider who rides aggressively on trails. I have ridden an Intense Carbine 650b, that bike did not fit me at all. Top tube was short, BB was high... I have ridden a Specialized S-Works 29er; that bike was comfortable for me but, the suspension wasn't set up for me...it was a harsh ride in the back. I think most riders have the ability to adapt to whatever they are riding, and for the rest of the riders I don't think it makes a difference what they're riding.

formerly uncle mama
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Njhardrock View Post
    This thread is a laugh.... It's like saying 34 inch waist pants are better then 32....what's comfortable is what works
    What??? 32" is obviously better!

dwt
    mtbr member

Is 26er a dying breed?

Quote Originally Posted by uncle mama View Post
    What??? 32" is obviously better!
    But if they stop selling 34" I'm toast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Honestly does it really matter? 26"...27.5"...29"... They're all just bikes. Can't we just ride whatever and call it good... This whole wheel "debate" is getting f'ing old...
    Actually, it does matter. Each has a distinct feel with its own strengths and weaknesses. You don't need to contribute to the "debate" if you don't understand it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    Actually, it does matter. Each has a distinct feel with its own strengths and weaknesses. You don't need to contribute to the "debate" if you don't understand it.
    Strengths and weaknesses for what in particular? Is it for racing? Riding? Downhill? Enduro? i think LCW was correct in asking "Does it really matter?" If you feel the applications fits the type of riding it's intended for, then ride that bike-another guy (or girl) might feel that another bike works better for the same application. Are they wrong? In the end it really doesn't matter. There's not hard-core one way answer for any of it. As riders, we're a broad range of folks with different styles, talents, skill levels, etc. All this debate over wheel size in nonsensical. I ride what feels right for what I'm doing at the time, whether it's racing, riding with friends, or just cruising around by myself. I don't give to sh**s about what anyone thinks about it because I like what I choose.

RideDirt
    You must be a roadie or 29er with an ignorant comment like that .

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I raced on a 5" 26er FS today. Sure did passed a lotta 29ers...
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

LCW
    mtbr member

Is 26er a dying breed?

Quote Originally Posted by Pike14 View Post
    Strengths and weaknesses for what in particular? Is it for racing? Riding? Downhill? Enduro? i think LCW was correct in asking "Does it really matter?" If you feel the applications fits the type of riding it's intended for, then ride that bike-another guy (or girl) might feel that another bike works better for the same application. Are they wrong? In the end it really doesn't matter. There's not hard-core one way answer for any of it. As riders, we're a broad range of folks with different styles, talents, skill levels, etc. All this debate over wheel size in nonsensical. I ride what feels right for what I'm doing at the time, whether it's racing, riding with friends, or just cruising around by myself. I don't give to sh**s about what anyone thinks about it because I like what I choose.
    Exactly what I meant... Wheel size should be a personal choice - I don't get all the defending one way or another, and people trying to convince others that one particular wheel size is better than another. As Pike14 mentions... "Better for what" - there are so many variables out there, that there isn't a magic catch-all size that's best at everything. They're all just Mountain bikes in the end. Just RIDE

EVIL Following
    Yeti
    SB-66A

Surly Wednesday

All 26.5" all the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    When the 2014 models are introduced people will start to get an idea of the size of the 650b steamroller headed our way. 2015 will be the final nail in the coffin.
    Unless there are enough riders out there like me that will reject 650b entirely.

Product managers will have to come to terms with the fact that they can't sell a bike to a rider like me unless it's 26" wheel compatible. Considering we're only talking about a 12.5mm difference in wheel radius, it shouldn't be that hard to do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Had a nightmare tonight that my Trek Fuel Ex had transformed into a 29er. Was out on a trail and couldn't steer. You know that feeling in a dream where you just fight with all your power to try to do something or move etc but it just won't happen. Before I crashed the dream stopped.

Woke up happy today seeing my 26" friend hanging on the wall next to me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I dont think 26" will ever go away. I think you will see more 29"bikes on the market and possibly less 26" models. Here's why I say this,

1) Its hard for a kid growing to move from a 20" or 24" to a 29" Bike.
    2) Even with the smallest frame 29" is still to tall for some people. Example, My wife is 5'4", she prefers a mens bike over a womem's and trying out some 29er's she felt that even a 15" frame was to tall and not comfortable for her.

So with that in mind I think 26ers are here to stay for younger teens and people who are vertically challenged.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanetti View Post
    Unless there are enough riders out there like me that will reject 650b entirely.

Product managers will have to come to terms with the fact that they can't sell a bike to a rider like me unless it's 26" wheel compatible. Considering we're only talking about a 12.5mm difference in wheel radius, it shouldn't be that hard to do.
    Product managers are more concerned with moving the technology of their bikes forward then they are trying to convince people that are simply resistant to change to try something new. There would be no bike industry if it focused on the people that already own bikes, the market grows by bringing new riders in to the sport, by moving forward with design, not by being stuck in the past.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    no, the 26ers are not a dying breed. they will still be around in the future. as for me? what will i like? until i try a 29er or 650b, i will always enjoy a ride on a 26.
    always.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    You must be a roadie or 29er with an ignorant comment like that .
    Well, I have a road bike, but not a 29er. I don't see how your comment is relevant to pretty much anything. There is a definite difference in how different sized wheels handle and ride. If you don't know that, you're clueless or stupid. I doubt you know what ignorant means.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pike14 View Post
    If you read the entire thread, you would have read my previous statement about riding style, terrain, and personal preference being the main factors in which wheel size you choose. Read first, then insult second.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Exactly what I meant... Wheel size should be a personal choice - I don't get all the defending one way or another, and people trying to convince others that one particular wheel size is better than another. As Pike14 mentions... "Better for what" - there are so many variables out there, that there isn't a magic catch-all size that's best at everything. They're all just Mountain bikes in the end. Just RIDE
    Sure, and all bikes are just bikes. Why bother researching, riding, and choosing the best bike for you? A bike's a bike, right? I might as well ride a Giant Glory on my next cross-country ride, right?

RideDirt
    Lmao someone seems super butt hurt on here , whoaaa you neg repped me im so scared lol tool ... I contributed exactly what I needed to and that was to call you out on your ignorance . So on that note you're dismissed from this thread.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Sure, and all bikes are just bikes. Why bother researching, riding, and choosing the best bike for you? A bike's a bike, right? I might as well ride a Giant Glory on my next cross-country ride, right?
    Hell if I knew I coulda have just stayed on my Big Wheel all these years. God think of the money I coulda saved. Haha. I'll ride right beside ya on it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Lmao someone seems super butt hurt on here , whoaaa you neg repped me im so scared lol tool ... I contributed exactly what I needed to and that was to call you out on your ignorance . So on that note you're dismissed from this thread.
    OH NO! You were negative rep'd! How will life ever go on for you? You contributed crap to this thread, which is why you were negative rep'd. You showed your own ignorance, that's all. Tool.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpy69 View Post
    Hell if I knew I coulda have just stayed on my Big Wheel all these years. God think of the money I coulda saved. Haha. I'll ride right beside ya on it.
    You should have. From the sounds of it, a Big Wheel is all you really need for your "trails".

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    You should have. From the sounds of it, a Big Wheel is all you really need for your "trails".
    Well I was sarcastically agreeing with your statement then you had to go and hurt my feelings. All my trails have a least 2-3 pieces of gravel and I catch at least 2-3 inches of air all the time. I'm hardcore. LMAO

RideDirt
    Thumpy69 he is contributing his oh so smart logic and ideas to this thread but if he actually had a brain he would known you were being sarcastic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thumpy69 he is contributing his oh so smart logic and ideas to this thread but if he actually had a brain he would known you were being sarcastic.
    I kinda figured that, one of those people that read half the statement and form an opinion without reading the other half. He must have a problem with premature.... never mind I'm not going there.

RideDirt
    Lmao

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpy69 View Post
    Well I was sarcastically agreeing with your statement then you had to go and hurt my feelings. All my trails have a least 2-3 pieces of gravel and I catch at least 2-3 inches of air all the time. I'm hardcore. LMAO
    I got the sarcasm, but I didn't read the name well enough. I was thinking you were somebody else from a different thread. I apologize for the insult.
    Last edited by mountainbiker24; 03-19-2013 at 06:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have ridden a friends Niner with J bars. Very cool, but 29ers aren't for me. Yes they roll over bumps better and feel more efficient and faster when pedaling, but I ride for the fun of flicking the rear end around and hopping up and down berms, hitting small jumps and drops, pretty much being a big kid on the trails and I don't have the same fun feeling on 29er. They just feel like a dirt version of a road bike to me. I really want to give a 650b a shot, see if it's the best of both worlds. But for me 26" is where it's at. Heck, I'd love to build a 24" hardtail play bike.

mtbr member

Re: Is 26er a dying breed?

It is happening even faster than I thought....

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Afric Pepperbird
    I'm starting to wonder the same about 29ers.

Seems to be a 26er comeback, and a 27.5 orgasmic love-fest lately.

mtbr member

Re: Is 26er a dying breed?

Ha, I am starting to feel sorry...

Level 5 Rider!
    Give it another 15 years and 26" will be retro cool.
    You earn 1000 exp!
    You are now lvl 5! (5/100)
    Str +3, Sta +4, MTB Skills +1, Grip +1, Iron Butt +1
    New Item - Broken pedals

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Real men ride 26ers...

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    more choices more better
    You mean 3 choices of wheel size or 50 choices of threads asking if 26" is done?
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My 29ers make the roots and rocks around here a lot comfier and easier to ride. And for that matter they make the 10-20 miles of bike path I ride to get to the trails flow along a little faster. That being said there are certain things even my old rigid 26er did better on: tight uphill switchbacks, and sharp, narrow turns that you need to accelerate out of, to get over a log for example. I really don't NEED another bike for any reason, but I am looking for another 26er just to mix it up and have something a little more playful. It took a few dozen hours to get used to the big wheel feel, and now it's just a matter of riding the bike and trails differently. Different lines etc. I still don't have all the confidence to fully test what a 29 will roll up over....

I'll be waiting for all those "used", mint, <20 mile, 26ers that get dumped when 650b takes over the world.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The 26 will never be COMPLETELY "dead" per-say. The reason is, there will always be a demand for it...whether it be from some guys that just won't give it up, and thinks its the only way (purists), as well as, for the lower cost of "mountain bikes." The $250 walmart specials is what I am referring to. Although I LIKE 29, and have not had a chance to try the 650b/27.5, I still prefer 26 for my local trails, and i think that 26 will always have a corner, all be it small, of the market. So, thats my 2 cents

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WSRebel View Post
    The 26 will never be COMPLETELY "dead" per-say. The reason is, there will always be a demand for it...whether it be from some guys that just won't give it up, and thinks its the only way (purists), as well as, for the lower cost of "mountain bikes." The $250 walmart specials is what I am referring to. Although I LIKE 29, and have not had a chance to try the 650b/27.5, I still prefer 26 for my local trails, and i think that 26 will always have a corner, all be it small, of the market. So, thats my 2 cents
    I think the wheel size debate wil never be dead per say
    99% of us dont care what other people ride.

The remaining 1% fights eachother for our amusement. I pray they never stop

dwt
    mtbr member

Is 26er a dying breed?

I think the wheel size debate wil never be dead per say
    99% of us dont care what other people ride.

The remaining 1% fights eachother for our amusement. I pray they never stop
    Is 26er a dying breed?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375449700.335496.jpg

They won't. And, if they get tired of wheel size, they can move to flats vs. clipless or tubeless vs. tubes. No shortage of useless, endless, subjective arguments in mtb'ing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post

They won't. And, if they get tired of wheel size, they can move to flats vs. clipless or tubeless vs. tubes. No shortage of useless, endless, subjective arguments in mtb'ing
    Carbon vs aluminum vs steel

1 ring vs 2/3 rings

Lycra vs baggies vs basketball shorts

Gloves or no gloves

any im missing???

Axe
    Custom User Title

Is 26er a dying breed?

Carbon vs aluminum vs steel

1 ring vs 2/3 rings

Lycra vs baggies vs basketball shorts

Gloves or no gloves

any im missing???
    Hardtail vs full suspension. Whether lot of suspension makes you a worse rider.
    Helmets on bike commute and such.

Coil vs air.

Bar width.

mtbr member

Coil vs air.

Bar width.

Riding with headphones

What to drink during rides

Strava

dwt
    mtbr member

Is 26er a dying breed?

Coil vs air.

Bar width.

Stem length

Crank length

Dropper post or not

Best dropper post

Camelbak or seat pack and water bottles

Homebrew or Stan's

DOT or mineral oil

I like pie.
    What to drink during rides
    I prefer Vodka. Beer makes me sluggish.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Strava
    Ridewithgps. So much better.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by stepitup_onenotch View Post
    It seems that all serious XC racers are on 29ers, they just roll better than 26ers, so that segment is getting sown up. If the enduro racers start winning on 27.5ers then that will spell the end of the 26er segment. Perhaps the only viable future for 26ers is the downhill bike.

26er will be around for a long time yet though but mostly in beginner packages only. Maybe a few niche manufacturers still waving the flag.

Rocky Mtn and Scott have fully embraced the 27.5 market.
    Speaking of Enduro racing. The first place overall bike in the Enduro World Series is 26".

Winning Bike: Jerome Clementz's Cannondale Jekyll - Winning Bike: Jerome Clementz's Cannondale Jekyll - Mountain Biking Pictures - Vital MTB

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast