Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    29/650b/26 < sack size

HARRYMAINIA - YouTube
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Agreed. The fun and play factor is higher on 26". I liken it to seeking out a manual transmission when buying a car vs. an automatic. I don't need the trail leveled for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    I don't want to start a heated discussion. Just out of curiosity trying to find out what you guys think.
    I own a FS 29er, FS 26er converted to a 650b and have been following the fast 650b development for last 2 years.
    The current trend in the industry makes me believe the 26er bikes are becoming less popular. Just look at some manufacturers, Intense and enve both said the 26er is dead. So many small and mid-sized producers replacing them with 650b and 29". Forks, wheels, tires, almost everything new is aimed at 650b.
    It's only question of time when one of the 3 big bike companies will jump on the wagon.
    The speed with which the trend is running is astonishing.
    It took The 29" revolution to fully kick in 3x longer, at least.
    So what do you think?
    Where will we be in 2 years and do you think you will like the future?
    It seems that all serious XC racers are on 29ers, they just roll better than 26ers, so that segment is getting sown up. If the enduro racers start winning on 27.5ers then that will spell the end of the 26er segment. Perhaps the only viable future for 26ers is the downhill bike.

26er will be around for a long time yet though but mostly in beginner packages only. Maybe a few niche manufacturers still waving the flag.

Rocky Mtn and Scott have fully embraced the 27.5 market.

mtbr member
    Note to self: sell my near new Merida One-Twenty before it becomes worthless.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Maybe the recent fatbike craze will spark an interest in bigger tire diameters.

I am starting to think that instead of 650b, I would rather ride some 2.7" tires on 26" wheels, if they can be made lighweight enough, say under 900g with decent knobs. And 30mm or so inner width rim. Think of around 15psi, tubeless with a bit of sealant.

So we can buy 650b frames and forks and fit them with baloon tires.

There always be something new, but it is still a bike. My current 26" stable rides great and I am not getting rid of them.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by stepitup_onenotch View Post
    It seems that all serious XC racers are on 29ers
    World champion is on 650b. But I, for one, truly, deeply do not care what pro's run. I ain't frigging racing the clock every time out.

No racers ride fatbikes, but they are fun and getting popular. It is not about racing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I personally love the 26 inch bikes but im looking forward to getting a 29er

~ B A D A S S ~
    soon it will all be 36ers, fat 36ers and the new rivaling standards 39 and 37,5/6500b
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by stepitup_onenotch View Post
    It seems that all serious XC racers are on 29ers, they just roll better than 26ers, so that segment is getting sown up. If the enduro racers start winning on 27.5ers then that will spell the end of the 26er segment. Perhaps the only viable future for 26ers is the downhill bike.

26er will be around for a long time yet though but mostly in beginner packages only. Maybe a few niche manufacturers still waving the flag.

Rocky Mtn and Scott have fully embraced the 27.5 market.
    I don't see any market for a 27.5 or 29" dirt jumper.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member

Is 26er a dying breed?

Yup, 26 is what I roll and won't change. Just another fad like MC Hammer pants or Kris's Kross with wearing their pants backwards.

Helmetless Crasher
    For XC racing, I'd say the 26 is on its way out.

Being fazed out of other disciplines of MTB? Very doubtful.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I love 26ers and 29ers equally. I wish there was something between these sizes. I bet it would be the best of both worlds!

I hate 650b because it's not as fun as 26 inch wheels and because it doesn't have the rollover ability of 29 inch wheels.

How much further ???
    You know I was out riding the other day and I started thinking. "Man I am the pefect specimen of a mountain biker. Perfect in everyway physically and mentally. There is no longer room for improvement. I am a perfect 200lbs weekend warrior with a little beer gut and the only way I can improve is to start changing the sizes of components on my bike. I would like the following.

- A 17.5 mm TA for the front because 20m is too beefy and way too heavy and the 15mm flexes way too much.
    - A 173.25 mm crank arm. Im my experience this is the perfect blend of rotational performance and rock clearance.
    - A 13.476 mm TA for the rear with a 147.5 spacing because I need that little extra stiffness to make me climb better.
    - A 31.1625 mm diameter seatpost because the 31.6 is just too heavy and slows me down.
    - A 2" top and 1.75" bottom reverse tapered headtube/steerer because the current 1.5" tapered systems are hard to turn and the 2" upper diameter adds the perfect amount of torsional stiffness without compromising rotaional friction.

That is all for now.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    You know I was out riding the other day and I started thinking. "Man I am the pefect specimen of a mountain biker. Perfect in everyway physically and mentally. There is no longer room for improvement. I am a perfect 200lbs weekend warrior with a little beer gut and the only way I can improve is to start changing the sizes of components on my bike. I would like the following.

- A 17.5 mm TA for the front because 20m is too beefy and way too heavy and the 15mm flexes way too much.
    - A 173.25 mm crank arm. Im my experience this is the perfect blend of rotational performance and rock clearance.
    - A 13.476 mm TA for the rear with a 147.5 spacing because I need that little extra stiffness to make me climb better.
    - A 31.1625 mm diameter seatpost because the 31.6 is just too heavy and slows me down.
    - A 2" top and 1.75" bottom reverse tapered headtube/steerer because the current 1.5" tapered systems are hard to turn and the 2" upper diameter adds the perfect amount of torsional stiffness without compromising rotaional friction.

That is all for now.
    I love you...

mtbr member

Re: Is 26er a dying breed?

Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post

That is all for now.
    Great post, I agree completely.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    You think 200 pages would be enough? For those of us who have been trail riding forever, like me (well over 20+years), seeing the same questions, over and over, and over....etc. can be trying. Sometimes humor is a good outlet to that experience, but I gotta remind myself that a good percentage of the askers who come to this site, with those questions, are beginners, and they ARE seriously asking them.

That said, I don't feel too bad about having just a tiny bit of fun at their expense, from time to time.

I mean, ultimately, riding a bike had better be, at least in part ( a LARGE part, IMO ), about having fun, no?
    Lol.
    what bike should I buy? my budget is $2000
    thanks.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    I don't see any market for a 27.5 or 29" dirt jumper.
    Or slopestyle. And 26" is already considered a bit of a handful with trials. Those disciplines are never going to even experiment with larger wheels; there's no point.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

RE: Is 26er a dying breed?

I xc race a 26er and don't plan on changing any time soon.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

mtbr member
    who cares about the marketing BS? im thrilled there are so many options. im sure when i bust my 26" rim in a 4 years ill be able to pick up a nice replacement. maybe really cheap.

i already know that 29ers are not for me. i can perfectly see how they would be great for certain types of trails. who cares what works best for others?

27.5" AM FS bike? mmmmmmmm

Trail Ninja
    29er DH tires in production, look out! Intense and Trek have 29er DH protos. Wouldn't be surprised if Spec had something as well. 650b is already in the international pro DH ranks.

Should that make 26" fans worried? No. Normal/average people cling to familiarity, and many are familiar with 26". Skilled and talented folk adapt quickly to many things and like to accept the challenge of defying what people think are the limits of something. If anything, I wanna see how 29er DH bikes do trying to clear the big DH track doubles, which were built with 26" bikes in mind. Wonder if there will be sections of bike park jump rhythm sections dedicated to beginners and big wheels, built bigger or with shorter gaps, or maybe include more sissy lines and rename them sissy/big wheeler lines. Stuff like this would only add fuel to the endless debate, as if we already didn't know what the differences between all the options were clearly enough.

Worry is just not the right word. It's more like disappointment. When you thought $1500 was reasonable and $3000 was expensive, now $3000 is reasonable and $6000 is expensive. People are disappointed that prices are going up and people are willing to pay for "innovative" small batch stuff, when production on a large scale (think car parts) could bring prices down if we settled on a standard. Most of these innovations are just old ideas being revived and taken a few steps beyond anyways. Marketing is just hyping it all up and manufacturers are being pulled along for the ride, "to keep up". They feel if they don't have a 29er HT model, they can't compete, and their 26" HTs aren't selling, since marketing has hyped up the new wheel sizes so much. FS is a diff ball game though, with the marketing working to hype up DW Link VPP, Switch, etc. with the wheel size being secondary to the FS design.

Many of us would just like to say, just ride, but when parts break and you search for something stronger and maybe lighter, you get disappointed that there are all these new options with incompatible standards. When one "sounds good" (F'n marketing), then you need a frame to hang all those new standard components on, then that comes with other new standards...

MTBR has turned into mtn bike keep up with latest standard changes, rather than mtn bike review, where we say what parts break and aren't worth money, and buy that other part instead. Now the review section is dead, and people are just talking about the latest and greatest to upgrade to, if your stuff isn't working out to your satisfaction.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfruits View Post
    who cares about the marketing BS? im thrilled there are so many options.
    I'd disagree on the "so many options".

A lot of bike companies are deciding for us. E.g. if you want an XC bike your choice is a) 29er, b) 29er or c) 29er.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Skilled and talented folk adapt quickly to many things and like to accept the challenge of defying what people think are the limits of something. If anything, I wanna see how 29er DH bikes do trying to clear the big DH track doubles, which were built with 26" bikes in mind.
    If you are implying that skill and talent implies preference for larger wheels, I would say that's bollocks.

No amount of skill and talent will add several inches to my 174cm height. Long travel 29r just do not fit me, period. Nor do I care to go through silly contortions to try to make'em fit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    29er DH tires in production, look out! Intense and Trek have 29er DH protos. Wouldn't be surprised if Spec had something as well. 650b is already in the international pro DH ranks.

Should that make 26" fans worried? No. Normal/average people cling to familiarity, and many are familiar with 26". Skilled and talented folk adapt quickly to many things and like to accept the challenge of defying what people think are the limits of something. If anything, I wanna see how 29er DH bikes do trying to clear the big DH track doubles, which were built with 26" bikes in mind. Wonder if there will be sections of bike park jump rhythm sections dedicated to beginners and big wheels, built bigger or with shorter gaps, or maybe include more sissy lines and rename them sissy/big wheeler lines. Stuff like this would only add fuel to the endless debate, as if we already didn't know what the differences between all the options were clearly enough.

Worry is just not the right word. It's more like disappointment. When you thought $1500 was reasonable and $3000 was expensive, now $3000 is reasonable and $6000 is expensive. People are disappointed that prices are going up and people are willing to pay for "innovative" small batch stuff, when production on a large scale (think car parts) could bring prices down if we settled on a standard. Most of these innovations are just old ideas being revived and taken a few steps beyond anyways. Marketing is just hyping it all up and manufacturers are being pulled along for the ride, "to keep up". They feel if they don't have a 29er HT model, they can't compete, and their 26" HTs aren't selling, since marketing has hyped up the new wheel sizes so much. FS is a diff ball game though, with the marketing working to hype up DW Link VPP, Switch, etc. with the wheel size being secondary to the FS design.

Many of us would just like to say, just ride, but when parts break and you search for something stronger and maybe lighter, you get disappointed that there are all these new options with incompatible standards. When one "sounds good" (F'n marketing), then you need a frame to hang all those new standard components on, then that comes with other new standards...

MTBR has turned into mtn bike keep up with latest standard changes, rather than mtn bike review, where we say what parts break and aren't worth money, and buy that other part instead. Now the review section is dead, and people are just talking about the latest and greatest to upgrade to, if your stuff isn't working out to your satisfaction.
    It's funny how you can see individual biases in how people respond to this thread (I'm not picking on you, yours was just the most recent).

People crave certainty, and people crave status. You can see it in the mountain bike crowd. Small wheel people crave certainty "I'm going to be riding it forever... screw anyone else" big wheelers crave status "no one who is anyone rides less than a 29er for xc".

I guess this keeps life interesting.....

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    If you are implying that skill and talent implies preference for larger wheels, I would say that's bollocks.

No amount of skill and talent will add several inches to my 174cm height. Long travel 29r just do not fit me, period. Nor do I care to go through silly contortions to try to make'em fit.
    I was speaking of how very good riders can adapt to any bike. Tell a rider that 29ers suck at jumping--if that rider is skilled like Mike Montgomery and he sees a nice looking jump and sees that it's a possibility, although difficult, he might not just jump it, he'll backflip it. I wouldn't imply that he would prefer it. I believe most would prefer something that made them better and allowed them to approach loftier challenges with a more realistic chance of succeeding. I'm just saying, bigger wheels in the limelight will just make it clearer or more apparent the various advantages and disadvantages of bigger wheels. I can imagine Rob Warner even commentating on it, when he sees a big wheeler (650b in the case of World Cup DH), despite it being a subject people are sick of discussing.

I'm not trying to convince people to change their beliefs. I'm just trying to look at the big picture sharing my perspective. 26" riders are voicing out for a good cause. I dislike the marketing and direction it's taking biking in general. Soon we'll have electronics and batteries on our bikes, controlling our suspension damping, shifting, adjustable geo, and seatpost. It's already been spotted and talked about, but some of us will be on it. Then $4500 will be a reasonable price with $9000 being expensive. The guys at work will still be like, you spent how much on a bike, a "pedal bike"?

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I was speaking of how very good riders can adapt to any bike.
    No. For example, no matter how good my daughter could ride, she can not even fit on a 26" well. She is like 4'8". She rides a 24" wheeled full suspension.

29r on 150+mm travel rear and 150+ front even in Medium size is already a frigging barge. It is not a matter of beliefs. It is a matter of human body dimensions. Yes, you can contortion yourself onto it, maybe. Maybe somebody will like it. But it would have nothing to do with their skills.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast