Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    THAT guy
    I'm picturing what it'll look like when bikes take over the world...
    Bikes:
    2010 Spec Enduro comp.
    2013 Specialized Demo 8 (build)

mtbr member
    They are certainly taking over my world.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    I'd like to see the mods put all the no right answer threads in one spot.

29Vs26

Flat vs clips

Dropper vs none

Carbon vs aluminun

Then sticky them all in the beginners section. We can have 200pages of clips vs flats for people to read.
    You think 200 pages would be enough? For those of us who have been trail riding forever, like me (well over 20+years), seeing the same questions, over and over, and over....etc. can be trying. Sometimes humor is a good outlet to that experience, but I gotta remind myself that a good percentage of the askers who come to this site, with those questions, are beginners, and they ARE seriously asking them.

That said, I don't feel too bad about having just a tiny bit of fun at their expense, from time to time.

I mean, ultimately, riding a bike had better be, at least in part ( a LARGE part, IMO ), about having fun, no?
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Ive owned FS and HT 29ers. I sold both of them and went back to a FS 26" bike and haven't been happier. In fact, I was so happy I even bought a more extinct bike, a 26" hard tail. I love it so much I might even sell my FS 26" bike. This is so taboo in the bike industry today that someone might need to go to confession after reading my post.

Rogue Exterminator
    I love my 29ers both the HT and the FS and plan on sticking with them.
    Don't think they are better than 26ers, just different. Both wheel sizes seem to have their advantages and disadvantages so it really boils down to a personal preference.

As far as them taking over, I think there will be a temporary shift.
    I certainly see more 29ers on the trails than 26ers but I guess eventually that shift will balance out as time goes on. For now, it is just the shiny new toy on the market.

I will say though that this argument will never be settled just like the clipless vs. flats argument.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    There is clearly an answer for which size is better. It just depends on the rider and the terrain. Asking random people which they prefer without any background info is pointless. Same with pedals. There are clear answers for most people, if they're honest with their riding style and terrain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    personal preference. own both, ride both, love both

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    This is the most objective side by side comparison I've found and the testers preferred 26 over 27.5 and 29.

Opinion: 26 vs 27.5 vs 29-inch Wheels - Pinkbike
    ... agreed ... the most objective comparison I've seen to date. Thanks for that!

I don't know about 26ers being a dying breed ... but I can say my LBS does just about everything to steer buyers toward 29ers over 26ers. Not only do they all ride and prefer them ... they stock more of them. As far as 27.5's ... they have no interest nor do they see any point of stocking anything 27.5.
    '12 Transition Bandit29
    '12 Transition TransAM 29
    '13 On-One Inbred 29'er LTD ED Single Speed

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    I love my 29ers both the HT and the FS and plan on sticking with them.
    Don't think they are better than 26ers, just different. Both wheel sizes seem to have their advantages and disadvantages so it really boils down to a personal preference.

As far as them taking over, I think there will be a temporary shift.
    I certainly see more 29ers on the trails than 26ers but I guess eventually that shift will balance out as time goes on. For now, it is just the shiny new toy on the market.

I will say though that this argument will never be settled just like the clipless vs. flats argument.
    I expect that someday the PTB will convince the buyer that riding a 20" bike is the best way to stay young ... Rinse, Lather, Repeat

mtbr member
    Any invention becomes a "dying breed" the day it is made and sold -- everything becomes obsolete eventually. That said, if even the 26" wheel is eventually eliminated, there are so many thousands of 26" bikes out there, I have little concern that there will still be parts and such available on the market. If I were buying a bike today and found one I liked that was a 26", I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

However, I wouldn't hesitate to explore the new 27.5" AM offerings, either. I read an interesting article interviewing several prominent bike makers, and their opinion was almost universally that the 27.5 wheel was a sweet spot for AM bikes, and that is where most of them saw their companies headed.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

How much further ???
    As someone who has both a 26er and 29er I can honestly say for the average weekend warrior out there, the number of beers you had the night before will have a far greater impact on your ride than a 3" or 1.5" diameter difference in your wheels.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    the only really dying with all of this are skillsets. skillsets that are learned easier and quicker thru smaller wheels. bunnyhopping, jhop, manuals, pump and jump that taller obstacles require is easier with my 26 and flats! better yet get on 20s to progress even more skills. bmxican4life
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Just think if 27.5 was the standard and 26" was being touted as the future.

Marking would have the AM market drooling: laterally stiffer for any given weight rim, increased agility, increased durability, jumps and tricks easier, decreased weight where it really counts: lighter rims, spokes and tires.

undercover brother

Marking would have the AM market drooling: laterally stiffer for any given weight rim, increased agility, increased durability, jumps and tricks easier, decreased weight where it really counts: lighter rims, spokes and tires.
    The industry will try and phase out 26", then 4 years later introduce the new 26" as "retro".

mtbr member
    I think just like the Pinkbike comparison mentions, is that it's just about rider preference and terrain. There are some areas that a specific wheel size excels on. Couple that with a feel that certain riders just like, and it all comes down to the individual. I know for around here, I've never ridden a 29er that felt better than a 26 full suspension. But that might be a completely different story for another person or on different trails. If I rode smooth hardpack trails most of the time, I'd probably go buy a CF 29er hardtail.

I think all the wheel sizes have their merits, but for AM riding I don't see 29ers taking over, or 650b. There will likely be all wheel sizes available for quite some time, and people should ride what they like the best.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I say we should all just get on our whatever sized wheeled bikes and ride them.

"Fat bottom girls you make the rockin' world go round..."

mtbr member
    This is the gospel truth.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    As someone who has both a 26er and 29er I can honestly say for the average weekend warrior out there, the number of beers you had the night before will have a far greater impact on your ride than a 3" or 1.5" diameter difference in your wheels.
    The truth shall set you free. Amen brother.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    I have 5 bikes all 26" except a 29" hardtail. Guess what bike I'm going to be selling, the 29er. I just find the small wheels more fun to ride.
    So true!

I have three bikes: a 6" AM bike, a DJ and DH bike. Out of all of them, the only one I would even consider running as a 650B or even a B6er is the AM bike. The DJ would be unwieldy with bigger wheels and I'm not sure there would be any gain at all on other wheels on the DH bike (either 29er or 650B).

The flickability and maneuverability are what keeps me on the smaller wheels. That, and being 5'5" they feel more proportional.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    I've only done a 2 mile lap on a 29er (carbon Tallboy) one time, but that was more or less my impression as well. Of course, the bike felt quite different than my Enduro, but it was hard to tell what was due to the wheels. The Tallboy was a nice bike, to be sure, but I can't say the difference was mindblowing.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    29ers seem to have eaten up the XC market, and for good reason. They don't seem to have much penetration into longer travel disciplines.
    650b doesn't seem like much of a change from 26, but you can't sell someone something they've already got, can you?
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Tons of people are going back to 26ers lately. The big companies are still churning out tons of new high end 26ers as well, and they're still the majority of bikes sold. They're not going anywhere.
    These^^^

29er's are for tall, lanky XC racers.

26 and 650b are for all other riders. And, like someone said, if 26ers are stopped being sold anytime soon, give it 4 years. They'll be the "new thing" again.

~ B A D A S S ~
    I have a theory!

Makers are always trying to make money right, and since there are government agencies in europe actually testing durability of parts and frames and such they can't actually make stuff that self destructs anymore so now insted they try to convince people they need this "whatever the new popular wheel size is" is the **** and everything else is outdated. And will soon disappear.

29er is 700c and has been around for ****ing AGES.
    650b is an OLD french standard that someone just revived from the dead to make money out of, not talking thew enthusiasts here.
    And 26ers where OLD Kids bikes, to evade some tax that was put on adults bikes.

Its all old ****, and it comes in waves, its a never ending cycle. None of them will disappear anytime soon.

the bottom line here, is treks, speshs and giants bottom line thats what matters.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Size

Matters

LOL

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Get one in all three flavors--and a mini to boot. That way you don't feel left out, and you have an excuse to expand the fleet.

I love my 26" bikes--but it's time I start looking for a 29er. Maybe a sweet carbon off-brand with a rigid carbon fork. Yum.

mtbr member

This is just so damn true. There would of course be a few sceptics who would be questioning whether that very small decrease in wheel diameter could possibly make such a big difference; but then again their comments would be immediately shot down by all the marketing people, as well as the people on MTB forums who had converted their 650B bikes to 26ers and claimed it was a totally different bike - so much more agile, so much quicker, etc.

I really like the fact that 650B exists - it gives us all another option; and it probably does have some small advantages over 26" (as well as some small disadvanatages) - but your post was so spot on about the extreme level of marketing BS and hype that surrounds any new product in MTB that basically represents a small step forward, rather than the huge leap forward that it is claimed to be.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast