mtbr member
    Jul 2011

New question here. 26' vs 29' Dual Suspension??

I'm in the market for a new bike I ride a 26" dual suspension bike now, a 2010 Stumpjumper FSR Large. I'm 5'9.5" tall and 170lbs, so I can go with a Large or Medium frame depending on the manufacturer. I've ridden my Large Stumpy for 4 years and enjoyed it a lot. However, I would like to transition to Medium frame for more control. I'm an aggressive trail rider who enjoys a good climb. I ride about 2 days a weeks, averaging 12 miles a ride.

So?? 26" Dually or 29" Dually and why??

usually cranky
    hate to be that guy but search, please.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Ride 'em ALL and get back to us what you decided upon...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    don't forget 27.5

beater

26' vs 29' Dual Suspension??

You really need to make this decision for yourself, preferably based on some demos. I can tell you what I like or dislike but that has nothing to do with your likes/dislikes. I hate mushrooms and olives, for example, but many people love them.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

gravity fighter
    You're a hair under 6ft and want a new fs?. The bike industry will be very upset if you don't buy a 27.5

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I know the guys at my local shop want to sell bikes. Derrrr! The shop is LOADED with 29ers. It just doesn't make sense when they say a 29er offers an easier climb, "once you get it going". A 29er is heavier than a 26 and adds rolling resistance. How can that be easier to climb?? I get the whole momentum argument, but the fact is, when you're a steep technical section, you're NOT moving very fast. I'm obviously partial to my 26, and I will demo a 29er, but I'd like to get some feedback from you all that have tried both a 26 and a 29.

Thank you!

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    You really need to make this decision for yourself, preferably based on some demos. I can tell you what I like or dislike but that has nothing to do with your likes/dislikes. I hate mushrooms and olives, for example, but many people love them.
    Obviously you've never eaten mushrooms or olives as anyone who has instantly changes their diet to mushrooms and olives exclusively, just remember to wash it down with kool-aid.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I am also in the process of buying a new dual suspension bike - looking into the SJ FSR, but I am having trouble finding a dealer that carries 26 inch bikes anywhere in the northeast. Is this a regional issue affecting the northeast/east coast or are bike companies and dealers pushing nothing but 29ers now? Dealers look at me like I'm a buffoon for even considering a 26er. This does not seem to be an inventory problem, since all dealers are able to order a 26 inch bike, they just won't carry one for customers to demo. Whats up with this?

mtbr member
    Just get a dam Banshee Rune in 27.5 and be done. Go on, get on it...

mtbr member

Re: 26' vs 29' Dual Suspension??

I'm with these guys and go test ride.

Personally I hear more guys around the 5'8 range say they like 26 that I talk to, especially ones under 5'8. I'm 6'2 and definately a 29er person.

It's a personal preference thing.

Being i have ridden both (had a 26" prior to my 29er I bought early part of this year) each has its place. When it comes to trails here I felt faster it tight winding sections on my 26" but that was the only place i felt more confident at speed over my 29er that's just because 26" is smaller so moves through tighter turns a bit easier. Everything else on the trails I feel better on my 29er, but that's cause I'm a clyde, bike feels my size. The whole climbing thing, it maintains speed longer so short climbs are easier, but long stuff it feels the same. In group riding I get smoked in tight feisty stuff but as soon as it opens up I catch right back up without working hard to do it. Do I miss my 26, a bit, would I trade my 29er to go back, hell no.

But that's my opinion and experience. As you read more you'll see exact opposite experiences, its purely to each their own. Bike is an extension of you, if it doesn't feel that way then somethings not right. My extension happens to be a 29er as with many I ride with, but plenty I also ride with swear an oath to 26" and are hella faster than ill probably ever be.

So go ride some and pick what you like. Only you and no one else can tell you what bike is best for you.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I'm 5'6" and loves my 29er:

"The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Airborne Flight Crew
    5'8". Love my 29er.............................................. .................................................. ............................Love my 26er too!

Both climb well, both descend well, both are FUN.

Best advice so far - go and test ride.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'm repsponding because 2 months ago I was in the exact same boat, and I happen to be about your size..just about 10 lbs heavier. The shops here locally are a joke for test rides or rentals and I couldnt afford new anyway. I was so on the fence in looking for a Stumpy FSR as to wheel size that I decided I'd go with the first deal I found and ride the mess out of it.

That ended up being the Stumpy FSR Medium 29ner, and I couldnt be happier. I'd suggest doing this...since you know exactly how your 26 rides. Why dont you go test ride the stumpy in a 29 and see how it feels man? Not to say that the 29er version is the end all to your new needs but it would probably give you the closest direct comparison...then go from there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Now I'm looking at a Giant Trance 27.5. What do you guys think about that bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hevak34 View Post
    Now I'm looking at a Giant Trance 27.5. What do you guys think about that bike?
    i'm thinking that will be my next bike, but i'm holding out on it until there are some on the used market.

Hooligan
    let us know when you decide!
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I have both and enjoy riding both. Test ride and decide...
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just test rode a Ripley 29'r and loved it! My next bike will be a 29'r. 650b, unless you need a new bike, is not a big enough change to upgrade from a 26r.

29r feels significantly different and may warrant the price to upgrade.

I found the 29r to be a lot easier to ride over rough, rooty, trails than my 26r. Now that being said, I wasn't any faster climbing with it. It just smoothed the trail out...kind of a lazy feel to it.

You really need to test ride the 29r because it does feel quite a bit different....you may not like it. If you don't like the 29r, then wait until next year to see what is offered in 650.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I demoed the Stumpjumper Elite 29 and Trance 27.5.

The stumpy was a bit sluggish for my style of riding. Although it rolled over stuff better, I missed my connection with the trail. I like to be able to feel my ride. I don't want a Cadillac, I want a sports car.

In my opinion, the Trance 27.5 was perfect, for my style of riding. Steep climbs were a breeze. Technical swoopy descents were more fun than I ever thought was possible. Every tight turn, every jump, every rock drop, instilled more and more confidence. This bike has literally changed mountain biking for me. It's the ideal upgrade from my 26" Stumpy.

My choice: 2014 Giant Trance 27.5

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Mmm, all I know about niner's is second hand. A riding buddy has a stumpy niner. He hopped on my Reign for a quick" parking lot" test and remarked at how lively it felt from a wheelie and bunnyhop perspective. He is adamant that he would have bought a 27.5 had a suitable candicate been available when he was shopping. That said he rides his niner well and is pretty fast.

All I am sure of is that you get used to whatever bike you have and make the most of it regardless of wheel size, suspension and geo.

Whoops - didnt read the post above by the OP. Good choice indeed. Which model and size did you buy?
    Last edited by headshot; 08-29-2013 at 07:48 AM. Reason: outdated

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    26' vs 29' Dual Suspension??-image.jpgTrance 1 - Medium