mtbr member

26-32T Chainring setup?

Hey all, I'm not happy with my current 22-32T chainring setup (with 11-32T cassette) for NJ riding because I almost never need my lowest gear. I do most of my climbing with the big ring and for the steepest technical trails I rarely need lower gearing than 22T/24T (front/rear). Another thread (http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/whos-riding-36t-chainring-208906.html#post2050643) indicated that a lot of people run 22-36T or 22-34T chainrings, increasing the spread for downhilling without sacrificing climbing ability. I don't like that because of the amount of "cross-shifting" required when shifting chainrings.

I'm actually thinking about going in the other direction to try 26-32T (closing the spread). Granted there is more overlap in gear ratios, but I would ride this like an 11 speed. Mostly ride on the big ring, only using the two lowest gears on the small ring. And shifting between chainrings would probably not require any cross-shifting since the change in gear ratio is not so much (maybe one downshift on the rear might be necessary).

Has anyone else tried this? Am I missing something here?

Thanks for advice.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Should work fine. You may have to raise the front derailleur.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    How about get a 11-34 cassette and drop the granny ring all together? Or would this not provide you with a low enough gear for the climbs?