mtbr member
    Jun 2008

is a 26" 2012 stumpjumper fsr comp an all mountain bike?

what can this bike safely handle? i have always ridden aluminium hartails and im still cautious when i ride it not to overdo it. what are some good upgrades or set up tricks?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Well here goes my opinion. No, it is not an All Mountain Bike as some may define on this site. The Stumpy FSR is more of a "trail" bike, whereas the Specialized Enduro is more all mountain. The FSR Stumpy is very capable, but generally not designed for really, really rough "all mountain" type riding with large drops. Can it handle it? Really hard to say depending on your weight, experience, and riding style and terrain. I have a Stumpy Carbon FSR, and I ride mine in some pretty rough chunk, and have never had it fail in 1200 miles so far. What can you do to make this bike more "all mountain"? Tubeless tires, bigger more aggressive tires, perhaps a shorter stem depending on your fit, dropper post, and more. I have done these changes to mine, not to fit into a category, but because I found these mods really helped my overall trail riding. I ride all over the mountain, and really like tubeless. changing from a 110 to an 80 mm stem was a HUGE improvement on my bike. It just really depends on you, but make sure you get the bike setup properly for you. Sag, reach, ETT length, bar angle, brakes proper distance from the outside of the bars may lend to a better "attack" position, and much more. Looking at my bike, it looks totally different than it came, way more aggressive, and it rides outstanding. Hope this gives you a few ideas.

mtbr member
    well, it might be, for some it might even be a downhill bike while for others it could be xc oriented. dont worry about category stickers.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: is a 26" 2012 stumpjumper fsr comp an all mountain bike?

I know of a few guys running 38t 1x10 setups on theory stumpy comp bikes and these guys call them trail bikes but they ride them harder than a lot of people. It's up to you.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    If you ride it hard without wearing spandex, then its AM. The second you put spandex on the stem will grow to 110mm and you're bike will only be able to handle smooth XC single track
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    May 2009
    My Stumpy is the only mountain bike I have at this point, but I'm not a big guy and after seeing videos of people absolutely ripping on Stumpys, I highly doubt I will ever push that bike to the point of failure so it serves as a do-it-all bike for me. Now if you're a bigger guy or ride in some insane terrain and like going to bike parks as well, an Enduro might better suit you.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    It will handle anything you can (most bikes will), unless you are talking about doing drops to flat over a few feet on a regular basis.

Depending on how smoothly you ride, you might screw up the rims if you ride really hard, but I'd just deal with that when you get there.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.