mtbr member
    Feb 2009

20mm Fox thru axle

Question: How does the principle of a 20mm thru axle work in relation to the hub?

Or to say it in other words: How is play between the hub, axle and fork eliminated?

With a taditional QR setup the two legs of the fork are pressed axially against the faces of the axle. This way the axle of the hub is totally free of play in relation to the fork.

As far as I know (with a Fox fork) the fork-axle runs through the hub-axle and the fork-axle gets clamped om both sides with some sort of quick release lever which does not press anything in the axial direction.
    This means i.m.h.o. that if there is only a small amount of radial play between the fork-axle and hub-axle or if there is axial play between the hub-axle and the fork this will result in a wheel that rattles in the fork.

Is my statement correct or not? Please enlighten me on this subject for I am considering to setup a bike with a 20mm thru axle.

Thanks in advance for your expertise on this matter.

GAME ON!
    all 20mm thru axles are screwed into either the leg itself or to another bolt to squeeze the legs together. the pinchbolts are only to there to stop the axle from loosening itself
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I see what you mean.

Thanks