mtbr member
    Jun 2018

2019 Specialized Stumpjumper issue

I just purchased a new Stumpjumper expert 29. After my 2nd ride I found a small rock wedged in between the frame and rear triangle pivot point. Because there is movement, it gouged the frame in this area. Its a small space but its large enough for debris to be deposited by the rear tire and collect in there. My concern is that this will continue to happen and can cause significant damage over time. There is a rubber piece in this area to keep debris out but it doesn't cover the entire opening. It seems like an oversight to me. I contacted Specialized customer support and included a picture soliciting a response but my concern was ignored. I never heard anything back after spending a pile of money on a new bike.
    Please! No responses about how it's a mountain bike and its going to get scratched etc. I get it. This just seems like a problem area. The pivot shouldn't act like a rock mill trying to crunch up stones on every ride. I'm going to try to upload a photo of this area.
    Has anyone else noticed this problem on the 2019 SJ?

View image here...
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/uPebwmqYazCjVaPH8

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Removed redundant post
    Last edited by Ghost7; 06-14-2018 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Redundant

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Huh. That rear linkage seems almost as poorly designed as the SC lower link on my 2017 bronson, which seems designed to capture mud and dirt from the tire.

You might consider cutting a tube up and using cable ties to make a little flap to cover that hole. See here. Also someone used a front fender and rigged it to cover the area, see here. Obviously these aren't specific to Specialized but they might give you some ideas.

Anyway, from the looks of your photo, I don't think the damage is anything to worry about. Personally, I don't like the idea of fenders and other crap, so I just make sure I pay attention to the lower linkage and clean and service it regularly. It's a pain, but that's the deal with these high-performing, modern full suspension bikes, though some are worse than others.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Same issue with 17-18 enduros

Some of the guys were sticking motocross foam in that area

on the Stumpy it looks like Spesh knows that its a problem area for them

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm not familiar with that frame design, I have the last generation Stumpy, but I know a popular option in the motocross world is to zip tie/stuff pieces of foam into places where you don't want mud and debris to collect. It doesn't inhibit the movement of any parts but prevents debris from collecting where you don't want it.

mtbr member
    2019 SJ Carbon Comp ST 29...Funny, the other day i was on the trail, I just happened to look down at that area. A small rock caught my eye that was stuck in there. than i noticed that foam block they put in there. I almost ripped the foam block out thinking it was some form of shipping protection left on. It is now obvious what its doing there.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    That doesn't look much different than my '17 Stumpjumper Expert frame. When it was brand new, I pulled the rear triangle and covered the surfaces with 3M Clear vinyl wrap. I did most the rest of the frame, too as I tend to do to most of my bikes.

mtbr member
    Second that it is quite close on my 2016 Stumpjumper. Then again, many bikes have a gap where junk can fall in and scratch or damage the frame. If you wind up making a guard, check on a regular basis that mud and crap isnít getting trapped. Sometimes guards can just trap smaller grit and dirt (remember fork boots) causing additional wear.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhammer View Post
    Sometimes guards can just trap smaller grit and dirt (remember fork boots) causing additional wear.
    This is the main reason I don't like installing guards. I might consider some sort of mud flap like the plastic fender things they sell, but I'm not into foam blocks or the like. I'd rather just try to keep the thing clean after a ride and regularly service the bearings. It is kind of annoying and high maintenance though, so I'm finding myself choosing the hard tail for muddier days.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I find that 3M mastic tape works well for protection in these areas.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

me too

I haven't found a rock wedged in there yet, but today I did find evidence that it happened on my last ride. You can see scratches on both sides of the black rubber piece. Reading here, it sounds like not much to do except put some protective tape on.

Another thought: It looks like the black rubber piece is in that gap to keep debris out. But it's not quite big enough to fill the gap, so rocks are getting caught in there on either side of the rubber. Maybe a larger piece of rubber could be found to replace the existing one. Or perhaps I can find some small pads (like cabinet door bumpers, or something spongy) to stick on either side of the black rubber pad.

2019 Specialized Stumpjumper issue-image1-5-.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My Ibis Mojo HD had a similar issues. Rocks would settle on the link & get pressed/crushed into the frame.

I bought a Lizard Skins leather(tectured rubber) chain stay protector & cut it to fit the rub area. Made sure to clean the area with rubbing alcohol prior to sticking it down. Worked well for a season & then I applied a second sticker as the old one was getting chewed up.

Problem solved, no more chewed up carbon & no more rock crushing sounds.

I'm sure specialized, like Ibis made that area out of super thick or solid carbon so you shouldn't have to worry about structural failure. It's just ugly.

Since you have a pretty blue frame you might want to get the clear protector
    1983 Ritchey Everest
    1996 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    1996 Ibis Mojo Ti
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD
    2015 Kona Process 153

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Do you have a picture of your fix?

The clear film would probably look better on my bike, but a bulkier tape might help keep the pebbles out of that crevice. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post
    My Ibis Mojo HD had a similar issues. Rocks would settle on the link & get pressed/crushed into the frame.

I bought a Lizard Skins leather(tectured rubber) chain stay protector & cut it to fit the rub area. Made sure to clean the area with rubbing alcohol prior to sticking it down. Worked well for a season & then I applied a second sticker as the old one was getting chewed up.

Problem solved, no more chewed up carbon & no more rock crushing sounds.

I'm sure specialized, like Ibis made that area out of super thick or solid carbon so you shouldn't have to worry about structural failure. It's just ugly.

Since you have a pretty blue frame you might want to get the clear protector

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, I apologize for the dirt. I'd rather have the bike dirty than risk water infiltration into the bearings. That and I'm lazy, and it'll just get dirty again...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Specialized Stumpjumper issue-dirty-ibis.jpg  

1983 Ritchey Everest
    1996 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    1996 Ibis Mojo Ti
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD
    2015 Kona Process 153

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The dirt will keep the gravel out.

EAT MORE GRIME
    macguyer up a small plastic fender made of tough plastic
    similar to what some front forks have
    (use what comes as packaging for new mtb tires for example)
    zip tie it in front of the tire path
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

My Lizard Skin fix

Hereís my attempt at a fix with Lizard Skins. Not elegant in appearance.

I think the Lizard Skins should succeed in keeping gravel from getting lodged on either side of the black rubber pad, which was happening and actually chipped out a crater in the paint deeper down in that space.

However, I may get more dirt and mud accumulation around that area near the pivot now, so I'll need to be regularly cleaning my bike after rides.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Specialized Stumpjumper issue-image1-2-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Pivot's solution:

DW Link Protector

They provided them free to Pivot owners for a while. Worked well on my 429 Trail.

If it doesn't fit your bike you could probably make something similar from sticky-backed fabric

2019 Specialized Stumpjumper issue-pivot.jpg

mtbr member
    I urge you to cover that area because a small stone wedged in there can bust the bearing housing on a carbon frame over time - it happened to me a few years ago

The above shown Pivot solution looks perfect IMO, it's better to just cover the gap instead of trying to entirely closing the gap with foam

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    I urge you to cover that area because a small stone wedged in there can bust the bearing housing on a carbon frame over time - it happened to me a few years ago

The above shown Pivot solution looks perfect IMO, it's better to just cover the gap instead of trying to entirely closing the gap with foam
    I'd add that it can cut thru any material given enough time. I could have sworn there was a big thread about waterbottles and cable rub cutting thru frames whether it be carbon or alu, erosion is for real.