mtbr member
    Jul 2015

2018 Ė Trek Fuel EX 8 or Commencal Meta TR v4.2?

Like the title says. Pretty sure itís going to be one of these two. Other contenders are the Whyte T-130 (lower value for the scratch) and the Canyon Spectral (outdated frame spec). But the TR and the Fuel are top of the list.

Other than the Trek using Fox goods and having the RE:activ shock while the TR uses a Pike and Deluxe, the rest of the spec is almost dead-nuts equivalent. Both use GX Eagle, come with a dropper, and Satan-incarnate PF BBs. Both are within a few hundred bucks of the other. Both are highly regarded and well reviewed. Trek has more sizing options which may or may not matter, and of course I can get my hands on one locally.

I know people will say demo, demo, demo. I agree, but after some point I also think you should learn and use what you get and wring the most from it. Either way I doubt Iíll be disappointed.

What would be your choice and why? Any others to consider? Plus capability doesnít matter to me, and Iím considering both 27.5 and 29 having owned and liked both. I want to keep things below 140mm, otherwise Iíll just end up over-biked.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    For having so much collective knoweldge and experience, this place sure takes a lot of brain naps. Anyone?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    To be honest, I think most bikes are good these days so doubt you can go too wrong.

I can say I'm really happy with our bikes that are quite similar - 2017 Fuel EX custom built from the frame only, and 2016 Remedy 29. After trying lots of bikes my wife and I liked the "Reaktiv" shock. It's kind of like always giving you most or all of what different designs and linkages promise without the negative of some designs.

What I have different from stock that might make a big difference is the 2.4 size SE4 tires. I've rented and demo'd 8 and 9.8 versions. I can't tell that all plastic frame buys as much performance as working on your bike engine.

The 140 fork (Pike on mine) makes a big difference. I really like the bb height difference with overall amount of slack. In the high position you have a lower than traditional bike not always banging pedals in rocks but really good for going at steep stuff and fast and working your way though a slow twisty trail.

We have a shorter rear Kona too. The Fuel EX is more playful than the Remedy 29 but less extreme than the Kona.

A friend has a Hightower. His bike and my new Fuel EX are just the most do it all and fun and confidence inspiring bikes I've been on. The contemporary Fuel EX is a better charger at steep and gnarly stuff than past bikes more gravity oriented and a better fast XC bike than racers I've had. I know the engineer who did the current Slash and he's pointed out he's jumped his Fuel EX 30 feet. He's repeated it's a way more capable bike than people realize whether that's fast XC or gravity.

All that said I say go do real world demos and buy what you like the most.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Hey Badger, did you ever decide?
    I am trying to decide between the Meta TR 4.2 and the new Transition Scout.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Not yet, but I'm not in a big hurry since our trail riding season is pretty much over until spring (fat bike getting dusted off). We have a huge Trek dealer here with a big stock, and I did go take a look at the EX 8. It's a solid build with a fair price, but what put me off was tax. Add that in, and suddenly it's a $3500 bike. Also the drop line had a bunch of play in the saddle head on all of the EXs, to the point that it was noticeable when riding, its a sloppy post. The shop was clear that deals are not to be had, so I shrugged and walked away, you'd think a dealer that size with a bunch of huge stores would work a little harder for business. Maybe I'll bark up their tree on Black Friday and see if they are still so stubborn.

The Commie still seems like a better deal to me and the reviews are stellar. And it's in red only....a red Commie. . I hear great things about the Scout but have no personal experience with one. I'd love to get my hands on one.

mtbr member

2018 Ė Trek Fuel EX 8 or Commencal Meta TR v4.2?

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerOne View Post
    It's a solid build with a fair price, but what put me off was tax. Add that in, and suddenly it's a $3500 bike. Also the drop line had a bunch of play in the saddle head on all of the EXs, to the point that it was noticeable when riding, its a sloppy post.
    The tax put me off as well... but they gave me a 10% discount at the Trek Superstore... I think they have that built in on purpose... AS FOR THE SADDLE AND PLAY- I AGREE.

It really bothered me more than the tax to be honest. My 2017 FUEL came with a KS eThirty Integra... the play is common in most droppers I guess. Some claim itís meant to be there, some say itís just part of owning a Dropper.

I went with the FUEL EX8+.... and I replaced the KS with a THOMSON- no wiggle whatsoever. Solid. And of course- itís sexy.

My FUEL is more bike than I need... I ride 100% of the time in SoCal. It does everything I want- even some urban here and there.

One day I hope to ride in a real forest or in some of those beautiful places posted here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A father is only as happy as his saddest child...

mtbr member
    Not yet, but I'm not in a big hurry since our trail riding season is pretty much over until spring (fat bike getting dusted off). We have a huge Trek dealer here with a big stock, and I did go take a look at the EX 8. It's a solid build with a fair price, but what put me off was tax. Add that in, and suddenly it's a $3500 bike. Also the drop line had a bunch of play in the saddle head on all of the EXs, to the point that it was noticeable when riding, its a sloppy post. The shop was clear that deals are not to be had, so I shrugged and walked away, you'd think a dealer that size with a bunch of huge stores would work a little harder for business. Maybe I'll bark up their tree on Black Friday and see if they are still so stubborn.

The Commie still seems like a better deal to me and the reviews are stellar. And it's in red only....a red Commie. . I hear great things about the Scout but have no personal experience with one. I'd love to get my hands on one.
    I don't think that at all after 35hrs on mine. My wife hasn't mentioned anything either. I love the post.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Have you considered the Giant Trance 2 and diamondback release 3 or 4C?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by tabbibus View Post
    Have you considered the Giant Trance 2 and diamondback release 3 or 4C?

For me the DB is out because no bottle cage on down tube. That may seem silly but I don't like wearing hydro packs. If it had one I would probably already be riding a release 3. Great deal especially with the corporate discount.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I've considered both of those. The Release 3 is just a stupidly good deal especially with the corp discount. It's literally almost unbelievable. The thing that has caused me to hold off is the same thing - lack of bottle mounts - and the 11-speed setup (same reason I'm hesitant on the Trance). Granted, at that price, I could buy a full Eagle GX drivetrain and still have a bike under 3 grand. But, there are also fairly widespread reports of misaligned bearing pockets and problematic pivot shafts in the Release which cause creaking and premature wear. No free lunch, eh? Not that it matters, but st00pid bike names too with the whole fishing theme. Catch, Release, Hook, Line, Sync'r....what's next, Spinner, Jig, and Popper?

I know it's seriously first-world to complain about quality 11-speed, but the Eagle X01 on my hardtail has spoiled me, especially on the nasty steeps we have around here. Maybe the '18 Release will have Eagle GX....

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I've considered both of those. The Release 3 is just a stupidly good deal especially with the corp discount. It's literally almost unbelievable. The thing that has caused me to hold off is the same thing - lack of bottle mounts - and the 11-speed setup (same reason I'm hesitant on the Trance). Granted, at that price, I could buy a full Eagle GX drivetrain and still have a bike under 3 grand. But, there are also fairly widespread reports of misaligned bearing pockets and problematic pivot shafts in the Release which cause creaking and premature wear. No free lunch, eh? Not that it matters, but st00pid bike names too with the whole fishing theme. Catch, Release, Hook, Line, Sync'r....what's next, Spinner, Jig, and Popper?

I know it's seriously first-world to complain about quality 11-speed, but the Eagle X01 on my hardtail has spoiled me, especially on the nasty steeps we have around here. Maybe the '18 Release will have Eagle GX....
    Fair points. For what it's worth I hear the carbon release don't have the pivot issues. Still not eagle though. Good luck!!