Thread: 2017 trance 2

Kboyen
    Apr 2018

2017 trance 2

Hi everyone, first time post.

Just picked up a trance 2 2017 for a good price in size large. Iím just under 6Ē with 33 inch inside leg.

I want to make a few upgrades mainly to cockpit to shorten the stem to 50mm and widen the handlebars to 780. Currently itís 70/730! My question is is will the reach be effected that much as Iím worried itíll become too cramped, and is there anything I can do to negate this.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kboyen View Post

Just picked up a trance 2 2017 for a good price in size large. Iím just under 6Ē with 33 inch inside leg.

I want to make a few upgrades mainly to cockpit to shorten the stem to 50mm and widen the handlebars to 780. Currently itís 70/730! My question is is will the reach be effected that much as Iím worried itíll become too cramped, and is there anything I can do to negate this.

Cheers.
    Increasing bar width will make up for shotening the stem to a degree. The 780mm bar and 50mm stem combo should feel similar to your old setup reach wise. I made a similar change on my Fathom with good results.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    I know the shorter stem/longer bar thing is popular these days, but have you riddden it out on the trail and found it uncomfortable or something? What was your previous bike setup like? It's hart to know if it's something that needs fixed vs just getting used to a new bike that handles differently.

Kboyen
    Apr 2018
    Iíve demoed it on the trail a few times and my previous bike hade a shorter stem and wider bar. The trance just feels so different in terms of handling, which I would expect with it being a different bike of course. I a see the 2018 trance they have put a shorter stem and wider bars as standard off the shelf. I think the two bikes are exactly the same part from that from what I can tell, except tyres maybe. Iím quiet new to the mountain biking scene to be honest and donít know how if any the changes I suggest would effect the reach etc I wouldnít want to become too cramped if that makes sense.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Iíve demoed it on the trail a few times and my previous bike hade a shorter stem and wider bar. The trance just feels so different in terms of handling, which I would expect with it being a different bike of course. I a see the 2018 trance they have put a shorter stem and wider bars as standard off the shelf. I think the two bikes are exactly the same part from that from what I can tell, except tyres maybe. Iím quiet new to the mountain biking scene to be honest and donít know how if any the changes I suggest would effect the reach etc I wouldnít want to become too cramped if that makes sense.
    It does make sense. Mostly the '17 and '18 are the same bike other than some tweaks to the components (tires, brakes, dropper).

I don't know how you got a 70/730 unless it was a used bike or some shop weirdness??? According to the website, the stock bars/stem haven't changed at all between those 2 model years. Both have listed as 780mm bars and the stem varies by frame size (40mm XS / 50mm S-M-L / 60mm XL).

I've demo'ed the bike and thought it rode well, so returning to stock numbers would make a lot of sense to me unless you have a longer torso and need the extra reach the 70mm gives. Plus, it'd be a return to something closer to what you're used to in terms of bar width.

mtbr member
    I literally have a 2017 Giant Trance 2 with a 50mm Stem and 780mm bars. The 70mm stem was just too long.

The bars are nice, although I clip them on stuff every now and then. I love this bike.

Kboyen
    Apr 2018
    Thanks dude, mine was straight of the shelf with 70mm/730mm for sure. Maybe itís changed since. Thanks for the input.

Kboyen
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by He1enKe1ler View Post
    I literally have a 2017 Giant Trance 2 with a 50mm Stem and 780mm bars. The 70mm stem was just too long.

The bars are nice, although I clip them on stuff every now and then. I love this bike.

Thanks mate, what size are riding? Iím just under 6 feet with 33 inside leg. Straddle between a medium and large, Iím hoping shorting the stem and winding the handlebars wonít shorten the reach too much. Donít know until you try I guess though right.

mtbr member
    Woops, my last post was kinda confusing. Yeah mine came with the 730mm bars and 70mm stem also.

After my first ride on the bike I could tell I wanted a shorter stem. I purchased the 50mm and threw that on. Felt a lot better.

My buddy who i ride with bought the 2018 Giant Trance a little while later which came with 780mm bars and he wrecked once or twice hitting the bars off trees so I offered to trade. I made out on an even trade.

I am 5'9", Bike is a medium.

The 2018 bikes come with 50mm stems and 780mm bars now, those were the big complaints with the 2017s. I would definitely recommend this setup. Bike climbs well, downhill is a blast. Perfect all mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I have a large 17 trance adv 2. It was my understanding they shorten the stem and increased the bar width on the 18 model. The old bar/stem size was frequently criticized. I am 6'1 1/2" and the stem fits me find. I am not sure wider bars would make a difference or not. I do know the bar is much wider than my old bike. There are some trails where the bar just fits through some trees and I have caught a bar end more frequently. I guess the reviewers must be out west on more open trails. Here in Georgia the trails must be narrower. Just something to thing about.

Kboyen
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by He1enKe1ler View Post
    Woops, my last post was kinda confusing. Yeah mine came with the 730mm bars and 70mm stem also.

After my first ride on the bike I could tell I wanted a shorter stem. I purchased the 50mm and threw that on. Felt a lot better.

My buddy who i ride with bought the 2018 Giant Trance a little while later which came with 780mm bars and he wrecked once or twice hitting the bars off trees so I offered to trade. I made out on an even trade.

I am 5'9", Bike is a medium.

The 2018 bikes come with 50mm stems and 780mm bars now, those were the big complaints with the 2017s. I would definitely recommend this setup. Bike climbs well, downhill is a blast. Perfect all mountain bike.

Cheers dude, just what I was looking for.
    so me at a touch under 6 feet will feel just right on a large I hope.?

Kboyen
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dcr1 View Post
    I have a large 17 trance adv 2. It was my understanding they shorten the stem and increased the bar width on the 18 model. The old bar/stem size was frequently criticized. I am 6'1 1/2" and the stem fits me find. I am not sure wider bars would make a difference or not. I do know the bar is much wider than my old bike. There are some trails where the bar just fits through some trees and I have caught a bar end more frequently. I guess the reviewers must be out west on more open trails. Here in Georgia the trails must be narrower. Just something to thing about.
    What size bike are you riding out of interest? Still undecided if Iím going to be swapping out for a shorter stem.

EDIT, just read the start of your post again!!! I must be tired!!

Dirt Eater
    Jan 2005

Cheers.
    I am 6'2 with a 32" inseam. I find a size large with 50mm stem and 760 bars perfect. I don't like super duper wide bars. Love the bike.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Thanks dude, mine was straight of the shelf with 70mm/730mm for sure. Maybe itís changed since. Thanks for the input.
    I guess it's good if they changed it if there were lots of complaints. Either way, I agree it's a better setup for most people.

ini
    envymtb, whyweride, WTPR
    sub'ed

mtbr member
    Nice bike. I had a trance, but 10 year old one.

I radically changed the bar width on mine, but left the long stem. The bike felt much longer. With a shorter stem and wider bar, the reach should be so close you will adapt instantly.

Do it, then just ride that thing.

mtbr member
    The Trance 2 is a good value for money Trail bike.

Giant have in the past spec'd the Trance with long stem + narrow bars to differentiate it from the Reign... which has always drawn criticism from the masses.

A 70mm stem has no business being on a Trail whip. 780mm bars can be cut down easily enough.

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"