mtbr member
    Jun 2018

2015 Specialized Enduro elite vs 2015 Giant Reign Advanced or keep the 2009 Scott Gen

Recently got into the full suspension category with my purchase of a used 09 Scott Genius 30. Rear derailleur upgraded to deore xt shadow with 11-36 10sp and raceface 32t up front with front derailleur eliminated. The bike has plenty of scratches as would be expected from a 10 yr old bike. The bike is currently getting a quick tune up and replacing the tracloc remote to adjust the travel for the rear equalizer 2 shock which I have heard plenty of negative things about which is leading me to consider getting something different. The bike did come with a second rear shock so I at least have the option of sending one out while still being able to ride.

Started looking at other used options currently available in the area and have come across a 2015 specialized enduro elite completely stock to my knowledge and a 2015 giant reign advanced with all components upgraded to shimano deore xt. The giant has a few chips and scratches but still minimal use according to the ad and the specialized sounds like its had even less use with little to no blemishes.

Hearing negative things about how the Scott Genius 30 isnt exactly an AM bike and the issues with the rear shock are the biggest things that have me considering looking to get out of that for something different. The carbon frame being what it has going for itself over the specialized, I believe the giant is carbon as well. Im coming off of an older giant hard tail and want to start giving the local trails in N. Michigan a shot with a used full suspension before committing to a new one. Really like the aggressive downhill riding but plan to do some climbing too so want a good all around bike. Should I look into either of these other options when they are coming across as a good deal or should I continue looking, or of course theres always the option of hanging on to the Scott and hoping I dont have to put any more money into it but then again got it for $500 so I feel like thats not a bad deal. Willing to spend around $1000 or so if I upgrade.

Also where is the best place to look for used bikes locally? Besides for eBay and Craigslist.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Anybody have any input? The Scott bike is in the shop getting a tune up now but before I throw any more money into it like replacing parts and sending the extra rear shock out to get serviced, is this a bike that I�ll be disappointed with after all this and would be better looking into one of these other options mentioned, or do any of you recommend giving it a shot and seeing how it goes? There�s just so little out there about this bike and from the posts I�ve read on here the bike sounds like a lemon most of the time and might not be worth the money. Especially this old. Looking for input from those who have experience with the genius bikes or know a lot about them. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Your bike is deff not a 'bad' bike. The question, "Is it worth spending money on?" is only for you to answer. I'd weigh cost of replacing it with cost of your suspension rebuilds, and go from there. The newer bikes do pedal better, but you may not even notice the difference, so the 'old' Scott is still a great bike to have fun on and advance your skills with. After 2-3yrs you will really appreciate riding a newer bike.
    oops I wasn't clipped in