Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

2014 RS Pike. Anyone get one yet?

Looking to put one on my Knolly Endorphin but it's hard laying down a grand when nobody has ridden it yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Been on mine for a week now...amazing fork. By far the best fork I have ever ridden and I have had a lyric coil,a couple fox 36 rc2 kashima forks, and a bunch of floats and a Reba and the pike blows me away with what it soaks up. Small bump sensitivity is the best I have ever felt and it is super supple in the beginning stroke yet ramps up super nice. The tunable air chamber size is a great idea. I think this fork/ charger damper will change the benchmark in the industry at least for a year or 2, maybe more. End result...well worth the money if you got it.

mtbr member
    I have several days on a Pike and would agree with the comments above. I don't know what magical engineering dust they sprinkled on it, but it is an amazing fork.

Keep on Rockin...
    Can you guys comment on th Compression/Trail mode of the RCT3?

On my Revelation I find the compression/trail setting way too harsh.

Supposedly it was smoothed out on the Pike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Can you guys comment on th Compression/Trail mode of the RCT3?

On my Revelation I find the compression/trail setting way too harsh.

Supposedly it was smoothed out on the Pike.
    I consider the trail setting on my Pike to be a huge improvement over any of my revelations.

This fork is awesome

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Just got one, 29er 120-150mm dual position, but haven't had a chance to ride it yet. Will advise after a few outings.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'll be installing mine tomorrow.

:spam:Rockshox Pike RCT3!! 26", 27.5"/ 650b and 29" NIB! - Pinkbike:spam:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fleanutz View Post
    Just got one, 29er 120-150mm dual position, but haven't had a chance to ride it yet. Will advise after a few outings.
    Very interested, could you also throw a tape measure on it from axle to crown when its actually on the bike in the 150 setting? Ive seen specs for the A2C measurements but interested in a real world measurement.
    "That's a niiiiiiiice biiike boy! That a Huffy!?"

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    A2C was 565mm in the 150mm mode, unsagged.

mtbr member
    Mine should be here next week with luck, I can report back afterwards.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi, what's the weight of dual position air model?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Anyone know if the 26 solo air can be reduced via internal spacers??? This fork in a 140mm on a stiff trail frame may get me to a one-bike does all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    does anyone know where i can get a 26" shipped to australia

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiewior View Post
    Hi, what's the weight of dual position air model?
    Uncut was 2050g, or about 4.5lbs.

meow meow
    how is everyone getting on with the rct3? preferred setting?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Are there any drawbacks picking Dual Position over Solo air, besides abit heavier ?

Are the SoloAir easier to setup/tune ?

Hm.. or are dual position also solo air now ? Im confused.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Dual position is for those who want to adjust travel on the fly by flipping a lever. Some ppl use it, some don't and just buy a non adjustable fork.

mtbr member
    What is real world weight of solo air 160 tapered?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Wiggle

Quote Originally Posted by 11highlights View Post
    does anyone know where i can get a 26" shipped to australia

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    For a frickin $1000 bucks it'd better ride like gold! i can't believe how expensive our sport is becoming. Absolute nuts. Each time a company now thinks they have a breakthrough, they also break our banks.

But I'm glad to hear everyone's liking the ride. I'll just wait until they come down reasonably in price.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    There are deals to be had. Universal cycles has the vip15 code which brings it down to 854, still not "cheap" but more tolerable. If its as good as people are saying, Ill be happy putting that money down... At least for the 29er crowd this is quite possibly the best fork available.
    "That's a niiiiiiiice biiike boy! That a Huffy!?"

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    For a frickin $1000 bucks it'd better ride like gold! i can't believe how expensive our sport is becoming. Absolute nuts. Each time a company now thinks they have a breakthrough, they also break our banks.

But I'm glad to hear everyone's liking the ride. I'll just wait until they come down reasonably in price.
    So true- my mountain bikes end up running the same as a motocross bike. Thanks to Santa Cruz and the bronson for making 10k the new benchmark for expensive!
    believe in yourself! I believe in you!

mountain biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickbm3 View Post
    There are deals to be had. Universal cycles has the vip15 code
    thank you! jumped on a black solo air for my Mojo HD. very stoked.
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    Yeah, it's the most I've ever paid for a fork. My LBS gave me a deal but it's still outrageous. This sport is getting out of control. Time to stop the upgraditis. It did come with a seal kit and shock pump but would've been cool if it came with the airshaft to drop the travel.

Yeah, kinda bummed that I can't drop the travel but I'm really starting to like it at 160. The fork really is a game changer for shorter travel trailbikes. I can't believe how plush the thing is but stays up in it's travel like a good boy.

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    The fork really is a game changer for shorter travel trailbikes. I can't believe how plush the thing is but stays up in it's travel like a good boy.

((( EARS COVERED))) LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA

I don't want to hear how good this fork is.....

Glad you are digging it. How about the Endo? Hope your summer has been a good one.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

mtbr member
    Yeah, it's the most I've ever paid for a fork. My LBS gave me a deal but it's still outrageous. This sport is getting out of control. Time to stop the upgraditis. It did come with a seal kit and shock pump but would've been cool if it came with the airshaft to drop the travel.

Yeah, kinda bummed that I can't drop the travel but I'm really starting to like it at 160. The fork really is a game changer for shorter travel trailbikes. I can't believe how plush the thing is but stays up in it's travel like a good boy.
    I think it is for me as well. I got a good deal, but aside from my 888 on the DH bike, I can't remember paying this much for a fork. I only sucked it up b/c it really is the perfect fork for me, the other forks on the market (Rev's, Fox 34's, any 35/36mm fork) just weren't ideal for me. Plus this doesn't say FOX on it.

Still waiting on my King axle to show up from Chad, but stoked to hear your thoughts on it so far.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    ((( EARS COVERED))) LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA

I don't want to hear how good this fork is.....

Glad you are digging it. How about the Endo? Hope your summer has been a good one.
    Summer has been great so far. LOVING the Endo. The addition of the PIKE@160 has inched it closer to Chilly territory. Definitely running into some bike confusion now.

How about yourself? Gotta be getting a little hot down there around now. I'm sure the fires don't help matters either.

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    how is everyone getting on with the rct3? preferred setting?
    My 150/120mm Dual Position is RCT3, and I've only ridden it in the wide open setting cause it rides so well. As others have said, it stays high in the travel instead of packing up, and the 35mm stanchions are noticeably stiffer, which helps keep you on line when the trail gets rough. Head and shoulders above all 32mm stanchion forks I've ever ridden (all 100mm stuff).

Pivoteer
    Summer has been great so far. LOVING the Endo. The addition of the PIKE@160 has inched it closer to Chilly territory. Definitely running into some bike confusion now.

How about yourself? Gotta be getting a little hot down there around now. I'm sure the fires don't help matters either.
    Glad to hear it, not so much on the PIKE though. I don't need one, I don't need one.

Weather has been a bit warm, this is our "off-season" which really means early morning, short rides. It will all be worth it in a few months though. I've been hammering the Chili lately, just can't get enough.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    Anyone know if the 26 solo air can be reduced via internal spacers??? This fork in a 140mm on a stiff trail frame may get me to a one-bike does all.
    No, from what my LBS told me it requires a different cartridge to modify the travel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kibosh View Post
    No, from what my LBS told me it requires a different cartridge to modify the travel.
    Can you elaborate? My LBS wouldn't have a clue. Can it drop to 140mm with a different cartridge? Maybe RS will drop the revelations and offer this fork in more travel options. What is it, like .25 ponds heavier???

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Can you elaborate? My LBS wouldn't have a clue. Can it drop to 140mm with a different cartridge? Maybe RS will drop the revelations and offer this fork in more travel options. What is it, like .25 ponds heavier???
    I doubt they will drop the revelation. And compared to the revelation wc it's a pound heavier which is a pretty big deal.

My lbs said any travel modifications are unsupported by rockshox and they weren't sure how to do them either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I bought a 150mm 27.5 Pike, based on what they said if I wanted more (or less) travel I would have to change out the damper cartridge from a 160mm fork. The cartridge is significantly more expensive than just adding or removing shims. Apparently the stanchions are the same on the 150mm and 160mm, the damper cartridge is different. That's all I really know, based on what I was told by Nate at Bikeco.com, I would contact him if you have questions, he was very knowledgeable on the wide variety of suspension questions I had.

on my 3rd wind...
    Looks like 160mm, 27.5 version, Pike has AC height of 552mm which isnt that much taller than other brand forks that are designed for 160mm with 26" wheel. It would be great if someone can post a picture of 160mm, 27.5 version, Pike with 26" wheel and tire installed. I would consider this fork if 27.5" version dont have a big odd looking open gap gap on the fork lower arch when 26" wheel is installed.

Basically, 27.5 version would be super versatile if I can run both 27.5" and 26" wheel without 26" wheel looking odd when installed in it.
    sth

mtbr member
    One thing you would also need to keep in mind is the difference in offset between these two forks. 27.5 fork with 26'' wheels will steering faster at slow and less high speed stability, 26'' fork with 26'' wheels will turn slower at low speed but more stable at high speed due to increase in trail measurment

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Anyone knows if reducing a 160mm pike 29 to 150mm is possible (2014 model)?

Thx, Mo.

mtbr member
    Yes, with a 160mm air can/shaft. Do you have a 150 mm Pike ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hey danaco!

No, I don't have a 150mm PIKE. I'm waiting for my 2014 Specialized Enduro 29 comp to arrive.

The 2014 E29er has a 160mm solo air PIKE, and I'd like a 150mm.

Mo.

mtbr member
    Your fork will come with a 160 mm cartridge. I have a 150 mm, maybe we can swap. The 160 cartridges won't be available for a month or more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim1 View Post
    Are there any drawbacks picking Dual Position over Solo air, besides abit heavier ?

Are the SoloAir easier to setup/tune ?

Hm.. or are dual position also solo air now ? Im confused.
    This is also something I am curious about. Do you sacrifice plushness and performance for being able to have travel adjust (like the talas vs float)?
    So from what I have read so far is this fork is coil like plush, can anyone confirm?
    One more question and then I'm finished, On long technical descents does it tend to overheat and spike or ride a bit harsher?
    I'm an open bath coil fan but looking at getting this to reduce weight. I just don't want to lose that wrist saving plushness.

Edit*. I lied. One more question. Traction. Does this fork keep your front wheel glued to the ground or does it sort of skip over medium sized square edged hits?
    Thanks for any imput.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Swissam View Post
    This is also something I am curious about. Do you sacrifice plushness and performance for being able to have travel adjust (like the talas vs float)?
    So from what I have read so far is this fork is coil like plush, can anyone confirm?
    One more question and then I'm finished, On long technical descents does it tend to overheat and spike or ride a bit harsher?
    I'm an open bath coil fan but looking at getting this to reduce weight. I just don't want to lose that wrist saving plushness.

Edit*. I lied. One more question. Traction. Does this fork keep your front wheel glued to the ground or does it sort of skip over medium sized square edged hits?
    Thanks for any imput.

No comment on the DP.

The fork rides high in its travel. I think RS set it up this way due to all the rider complaints of how longer travel forks are blowing through their travel. How do you think RS does this? I think they've bumped up the stock low speed compression on the fork. Just my guess. IMO this fork isn't the most plush on smaller, slower hits - and that is why I think there is a lot of low speed compression damping on this fork. At least it feels that way to me. Don't get me wrong, I would not say it feels harsh. It is just that for a fork that otherwise seems perfect, this is one small imperfection.

In every other department this fork is amazing.

The only thing I'd like to see different is the "open" setting to have less LSC, the mid-setting toned down a bit compression-wise, and the third setting to have the "lockout" eliminated... pffffttt! Lockout on a long travel, trail fork - tits on a bull! The third setting could be where the second setting is now. And yes, I know, the LSC can be adjusted.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I think the nature of it being slightly harsh on smaller hits is the nature of the air-shock+air-spring curve. Don't get me wrong, this thing feels better than many coil forks and the damping is hands down better. I increase the compression damper to about halfway for the gnarliest DH ski resort descents. This is exactly what I want from a fork, enough low-speed compression to slow it down without blowing through the travel and leaving it in a compressed state for the next bump. This kind of riding is fairly hard and not all that I do, but I've noticed in chunky rocky terrain this adjustment is pretty important. Leaving it too light on the compression is not the way to go unless you are climbing, going slow, or doing a very smooth downhill, but if you start getting "air" of any kind ,it's nice to have more compression damping dialed in.

I don't have the "3" settings, just the low-speed compression, which is pretty much exactly what I want and still easy to adjust while riding. The "lockout" setting on my fork (indicated by a lockout logo) is not really locked out, it's just a lot of low-speed damping that really slows it, again, better than a true lockout IMO. You can't "not have" compression damping, you can have less, maybe go with a lighter weight oil if you think it's too much, but you'd know real fast why it's critical if your fork had absolutely none.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

FM
    mtbr member
    Loving my Pike.
    After about 8 rides I noticed it felt like it was diving occasionally, despite riding high in the travel under normal sag conditions.
    I increased the LSC, but that led to spiking and reduced travel, almost locking out on big hits and square edges.

I added one more token (2 total) and that was a huge improvement. So far my impression is that the stock one-token set up is probably good for XC riding. If you ride aggressively, 2 tokens is good, maybe 3 for bigger riders/bigger moves. But overall on the pike I'm having better luck with adding tokens to make the air spring more progressive, while keeping the LSC in the 2-4 click range.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Loving my Pike.
    After about 8 rides I noticed it felt like it was diving occasionally, despite riding high in the travel under normal sag conditions.
    I increased the LSC, but that led to spiking and reduced travel, almost locking out on big hits and square edges.

I added one more token (2 total) and that was a huge improvement. So far my impression is that the stock one-token set up is probably good for XC riding. If you ride aggressively, 2 tokens is good, maybe 3 for bigger riders/bigger moves. But overall on the pike I'm having better luck with adding tokens to make the air spring more progressive, while keeping the LSC in the 2-4 click range.
    Yep, that's about where I"m at usually.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My 140mm 29er Pike came with two tokens installed from the factory. I was a little surprised by that. I've got about 150 miles on it... After about 75, I added a third token, and it's been pretty great since then. Still figuring out LSC settings I want, but what is without doubt in my opinion: rides high in travel, tokens allow for less PSI without bottoming out too easy, feels sweet and soft on big landings, stiff for steering. Liking it a lot so far .

mtbr member
    I am very interested in the new Pike and I am sucker for new bike parts that get great reviews. I am currently running Fox 36 RC2 Float. I have learned that the difference in the 2011-2012 versus the 2013-2014 spring assemblies result in a difference in behavior. The 2011-2012 is more progressive and snappy, whereas the 2013-2014 is more linear but better small bump compliance. I like how the Fox 36 behaves - it rides higher but handles the trail well when out of the saddle. My biggest complaint is the creaking and even though Fox handles this, I am without the fork for a few days and have to pay for shipping.

I am interested in the Pike to avoid the creaking hassle. Ignoring the creaking hassle, I am concerned about relative stiffness. I am not one to use the settings very much. I dial the fork/shock and then run with it. This is the reason that I have stuck with the RC2 for so long as I can dial most of the aspects to my liking.

Can you explain the ride difference between a Float RC2 and Pike and can the LSC on the PIKE handle all of the desired ride needs? It seems that the tokens in some respect act as HSC?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Loving my Pike.

I'm about the same here. Tried it with no tokens (the way it came), but dove too much and I would bottom it to easily when setting the psi at my desired sag. Of course more psi cured the diving and bottoming issue, but wasn't as plush.

After talking with another member here on the forum, I added two tokens (all mine came with BTW), and it seems spot on. I think there are about 9 clicks of LSC, and I was running 6? Can't quite remember, but I want to try backing it off a few clicks.

Overall extremely happy with this fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post

Can you explain the ride difference between a Float RC2 and Pike and can the LSC on the PIKE handle all of the desired ride needs? It seems that the tokens in some respect act as HSC?

This. Plus my question about traction is still open. I don't mean to sound picky or anything but I ride on some trails that have a really steep exposure. Traction to me means everything. My wife and son expect me to come home so I need a fork that keeps the wheel glued to the ground but at the same time be able to up the compression and skip over everything for full on speed (on trails with no exposure).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Yep, that's about where I"m at usually.
    J,

What's your weight? I just got a Pike 150 for my Uprising and I, like you, am using it for more aggressive trail/AM/FR. The tokens you refer to are the red 1" thingys that come with the fork? The "pamphlet" is pretty absent of any guide as to what is what. I've trusted your, as well as FM's, insight before and would like to start off with close to the correct settings. I can say that the thing feels amazing right out of the box.

Thanks,
    D
    "You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer

Elitest thrill junkie
    160lbs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast