mtbr member
    Aug 2012

2013 Trek Rumblefish Elite vs 2013 StumpJumper FSR Comp 29

Narrowed my looking to these two FS bikes, and am looking for opinions on the two. Both feel good when I sit on them so now it comes down to All Mountain capabilities. I ride around the neighborhood, forest roads, single track and some Ski Resort climbing and downhill.

So what do you think would be a better bike?

Rumblefish Elite - Trek Bicycle

Specialized Bicycle Components

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Any insight?

dvn
    mtbr member
    Boy, that's a tough call. I'm in the same boat. Maybe slightly better spec on the FSR and a little more travel. The Rumblefish looks HOT!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Sadly Trek changed their colors for 2013, it is now black/blue and looks like every other bike out there. Too bad, i liked that colorscheme.

Of those two i would choose the spec, when i test rode them both i like the stumpy better, it felt better for my intended use (trail, light AM) with its longer suspension. Only thing i do not like about the Spec. is their in-house rear axle 142+ which is offset 2mm ( i might be wrong here, if so do correct me).

Anyone of those bikes is a fun ride, you can't go wrong however you choose.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Edlund View Post
    Sadly Trek changed their colors for 2013, it is now black/blue and looks like every other bike out there. Too bad, i liked that colorscheme.

Of those two i would choose the spec, when i test rode them both i like the stumpy better, it felt better for my intended use (trail, light AM) with its longer suspension. Only thing i do not like about the Spec. is their in-house rear axle 142+ which is offset 2mm ( i might be wrong here, if so do correct me).

The Elite is the color above, the Pro is black and blue.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2013 Trek EX8 blue/white

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

treks web site shows the pro as being black and blue.....im in the same market

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have the 2012 Rumblefish in the Sepia/Green color and I am really happy with it.

Sorry I didn't try the Spec because my dealer of choice is Trek/Cannondale.

If one of the dealers is better than the other that could be the difference for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kf9yr View Post
    I have the 2012 Rumblefish in the Sepia/Green color and I am really happy with it.

Sorry I didn't try the Spec because my dealer of choice is Trek/Cannondale.

If one of the dealers is better than the other that could be the difference for you.
    How does it look in person? On the website it doesn't look so great.....better yet can you post pics?

cms
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I am looking at these 2 bikes too. I'm going to go with the Specialized stump jumper. I've went back and forth to the local dealers and rode these 2 over and over and the Specialized just feels better to me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

the hub is 2mm wider to the drive side. you can use a standard 142 hub. the limit screws of the derailleur just need to be adjusted for the standard hub. really, not a big deal.

the spesh is an awesome bike.
    Juice

cms
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I am looking at these 2 bikes too. I'm going to go with the Specialized stump jumper. I've went back and forth to the local dealers and rode these 2 over and over and the Specialized just feels better to me.
    Last edited by cms; 08-26-2012 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Duplicated a post.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cms View Post
    Yeah I think I found a dealer that will have both of them side by side so I can test them out. Only down side is that the shop is a little over an hour away, so if I do end up buying from them free tune ups will still cost me time and money in gas.......oh well better than spending $3k on a bike and not liking it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Go for the new FSR Comp Carbon 29, the lighter bike is easily worth the extra cash if you can afford it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by stepitup_onenotch View Post
    Go for the new FSR Comp Carbon 29, the lighter bike is easily worth the extra cash if you can afford it.
    $3k is my limit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2013 Trek EX8 blue/white

mtbr member
    the fish all day!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    i own a stumpy fsr 29er comp (god I hate their naming convention), and it's great. fork is the weak point - just a tad flexy, but i love the bike overall. sorry I didn't ride the trek. the drcv suspension sounds interesting... oh, and the rear freehub sucks (on the stumpy). don't leave the shop until that's replaced. your dealer should know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I planned on getting the 2012 Stumpy, rode it, but didn't totally like it. Tried the 2012 RF Elite, loved it, and now own it. Forget what everyone here says. You can't go wrong with either bike. You just need to ride them and see which one feels best. Good luck!

mtbr member
    I'd go Rumblefish due to the better (imho) shimano brakes. Can't go wrong with either of these rippers though. have fun getting it dirty!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Kona Satori. The geometry and parts spec is better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    The Kona Satori is an excellent choice, I was all set to buy Kona until I saw the carbon framed Stumper and had to go light, call me a weight weenie but it counts on those epic marathon days.

I hope to take delivery of my new Stump FSR Carbon Comp 29 (size XL) today. Had to order it from the local bike shop and am buying it based on geometry. I do not anticipate any fit problems as the reach measurement is longer than my trusty old 22" chromoly Norco which always felt like it should have been a bit longer across the top.

I swapped out the cassette and cranks on the Stumper for the SRAM XO line, lighter components where it really counts plus slightly taller gearing than the stock set up. I plan to write a review on the bike in a couple of weeks so stay tuned!

PS - the Satori is in your referenced budget, especially if you can find a 2012 model

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Should I get 2013 stumpjumper fsr comp 29er for $2500 from my LBS? That's a great deal right?

mtbr member
    I've owned the RF and SJ and it came down to better fit for me...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I don't know what a good price is on the SJ but I can tell you it is a great bike! You cannot go wrong with it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I was in the same position a few months ago and chose the SJ FSR elite 29er as it was almost $700 less and had XTR RD, and had the brain so it was better for climbing. No regrets so far.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ok guys I need help. I got the stumpjumper fsr comp 29er and I can't fit it on my yakima rack because the skewer is too short. Do they make bigger skewers?