Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2013 Santa Cruz Chameleon- Ultramarine Blue (Pictures)

19K views 50 replies 26 participants last post by  smellurfingers 
#1 · (Edited)
2013 Santa Cruz Chameleon- Ultramarine Blue (Pictures & Video)

I just picked my new frame up today and thought a few of you might be interested in the following photos. Let me know if anyone needs any additional photos or frame specific measurements.

See less See more
#9 ·
That's dope love the color is it custom? I'm looking to order the tennis ball yellow once I confirm the frame weight and if I can run my taper fork. From the Cruz site looks like its a pound lighter than the 2012 model which makes it 3.7lbs and a degree slacker. This basically won me over the steel transition trans am I was looking at. can't wait to see yours build up...

#10 ·
This is one of the 2 standard colors.

Head tube: This frame now uses a "mixed taper". This setup uses a standared 1.5" external lower cup (49mm bore) and an internal 1 1/8" upper cup (44mm bore). Almost all headset manufacturers make this product.

I'll be breaking down my old bike next week and will weigh each frame before I throw all my parts on the new one.

As far as the rear drop outs go.... For now SC is offering vertical and horizontal 135x9 dropouts. However, it looks like some 142x12 dropouts could be machined quite easily.

#14 ·
Hey SouthernVelo....frame looks good. What size is it? I see the sizing has changed..ie L has got a bit bigger. I have 2x chams, a 2005 L which I loved from day 1 for playing....and a 2010 XL (i'm 6'3") which i have disliked from day 1 to present - despite being the "right" size.

I'm now excited about swapping out my XL back to a new L (wife currently rides my old L). Theoretically size should be perfect and back to old cham feeling and no EBB (hooray).

Have you weighed it yet? Or measured it ?

Looking forward to seeing the new build.....

#16 ·
Hi SouthernVelo....sorry, wasn't trying to knock your XL....just for me and my riding, it wasn't ideal. Dead keen to hear how you go.....I have that whole "I'm about to get a new bike " excitement thing going on.....you seem to be the first guy on the block with the new model.

Cheers
Jono

#17 ·
Jono no need for apologies here. After all, our conflicting opinions and riding styles help fuel evolution within the cycling industry.

All my new parts are scheduled to arrive on Monday and I've been patiently waiting on this frame since 8/30. So I completely understand.

#24 ·
Hmmm, that doesn't look good at all...thanks for making the vid, the issue is very clear. You must be pretty annoyed.

And no, I wouldn't be very excited about owning that frame right now.

Does the odd relationship between head tube and top tube mean that the stand over clearence is also much reduced? Do you have a photo of what the bike looks like off the stand?

Thanks....

#26 ·
Not the best quality, but here is a photo.

Stand over: Funny you should ask. Yes. stand over clearance has also been reduced. Unfortunately I cannot compare the exact measurement from the ground on both model years. However I did measure the distance from BB center to top of top tube along the seat tube and got the following.

2011 (EBB @ 6 o'clock inline w/ chainstay)= 42cm
2013 = 47.5

5.5cm = approx 2-1/8"

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.