mtbr member
    Oct 2011

2013 Reign 1 vs 2 - suspension package

I want the Reign 2 frame, but not sure whether to bargin with my LBS to get the Fox package or just keep the Rockshox package.

Reign 1: 150mm 32 Talas CTD with Float CTD
    Reign 2: 150mm Revelation Dual Air RL with Monach R High Volume

I'm leaning towards the Rockshox package for the following reasons:
    1. I don't believe maestro suspension needs the C or T on a Reign (I've riden my Anthem x2 with a Float R for 4yrs), So shock would be on D 95% time anyway.

2. I would most likely ride the fork on D 95% time as well, I only ever use the lock on my Reba RTL for the commute to the forrest, so once again don't think I need CTD.

3. Serviceability of Rockshox (so i gather from these forums).

Anybody got a different opinion and want to talk me into getting the Fox package? Is the feel better? Plushness? Cuve Progression/Linearity? Stiffness?

In 10yrs of Mtb, I have never owned a bike with a fox fork so have I no idea how they compare long term to Rockshox or Manitou.

I don't care about the rest of the spec....I will most likely end up chopping out nearly everything on either bike at some point, so SLX over X5/X7 is not a really deal maker for me.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I vote for rock shox.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'd go with the Revelation up front, but would definitely want the CTD on the back.. keep in mind the Float R on your anthem has some platform built-in, but on the Reign you might want platform when out of the saddle (I know I do on my Reign X), and you will want full-open on the descents. An RT3 or a monarch plus would be the way to go if the upgrade is worth it imo.

Huffy Rider
    For sure get the Rev up front. For the rear, get whatever has the best resale and buy a Monarch Plus. I have ridden mine with a stock Fox RP, a Pushed RP and a stock Monarch Plus. The Monarch blows even the Pushed RP out of the water. The pedaling platform is amazing! Have fun with your new bike.

mtbr member
    Been riding the 2012 reign for a month now, with the monarch RT high volume. Its a good shock, but as a 230lbs rider i do eat up the mid stroke with ease. Considering low air conversion when i get it rebuilt still want to ride the through the spring to decide.

i think the rockshox package is great and regardless of what i do with the monarch both are going to PUSH with the hope of making this package a little bit better.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

usually cranky
    rockshox ftw, nothing leaps and bounds better about the fox stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Rockshox on the front FOR SURE

mtbr member
    I'm riding the 2013 Reign 1 and after three rides, I still have trouble getting the fork to work well. I think it could be the Talas that is causing some stiction or perhaps a low amount of oil; will bring it to the service centre for servicing soon. Didn't encounter such problems with my old bike running on a Float fork.

The rear shock is fine though. I keep both fork and shock at the Trail setting unless I'm going through technical downhill. Maybe I should keep it in the Downhill setting for the entire ride, might help with plushness.

Anyway, what drew me to the Reign 1 was the fork, shock, components and colour scheme. If you are intent on getting the Reign 2, do note that the Revelation is Solo Air and not Dual Air as stated on the website. Not a big deal I think. Also, the Reign 2 runs on the OverDrive system, which means you can get just about any stem on the market to fit your bike. The Reign 1 is using the OverDrive 2 which is an absolute pain; there are no stems on the market except from Giant that caters to that system, and my local bike shop doesn't stock it.

Sorry for the long post but I'm excited for you. Do post up pictures of your bike.
    2010 Giant Trance X3
    2013 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've never met a shock that I liked as much as a custom tuned one. I'd grab the Rock Shock package and either order a DB Air or get a Fox rear and have it custom tuned. I'd run the Revelation for awhile to see if I liked it; if I wasn't impressed I'd send it to PUSH. The problem I have with the Fox package is none of the major tuners are offering upgrades for the CTD stuff yet (ie...getting rid of the CTD and replacing with HS/LS setups).

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks guys, I've put the deposit on the R2 with shifters upgraded to X9.

I have some Pacenti TL28 rims on Superstar Switch EVO hubs in the mail. Already have a MRP G2mini guide on my AX2, so the plan is to do a straight swap of cranks and guide onto the R2.

Just need to decide on Bar/Stem set-up. Will probably leave the 690 bars and swap in a 70 stem till I get used to the geo compared to the AX2.

I'll just put up with the brakes for as long as possible for now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    The Monarch blows even the Pushed RP out of the water.

mtbr member
    Another vote for Rock Shox. I love my Revelation! The -/+ air chambers make this fork so tunable.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    hey!

am about to pull the trigger for a reign 2 3013 in large, i read what you wrote about the overdrive vs overdrive 2 stem sizes... my i question is: are you sure that reign 2 will be ok for every stem?i dont want to struggle after the purchace!
    thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by aizen View Post
    I'm riding the 2013 Reign 1 and after three rides, I still have trouble getting the fork to work well. I think it could be the Talas that is causing some stiction or perhaps a low amount of oil; will bring it to the service centre for servicing soon. Didn't encounter such problems with my old bike running on a Float fork.

The rear shock is fine though. I keep both fork and shock at the Trail setting unless I'm going through technical downhill. Maybe I should keep it in the Downhill setting for the entire ride, might help with plushness.

Anyway, what drew me to the Reign 1 was the fork, shock, components and colour scheme. If you are intent on getting the Reign 2, do note that the Revelation is Solo Air and not Dual Air as stated on the website. Not a big deal I think. Also, the Reign 2 runs on the OverDrive system, which means you can get just about any stem on the market to fit your bike. The Reign 1 is using the OverDrive 2 which is an absolute pain; there are no stems on the market except from Giant that caters to that system, and my local bike shop doesn't stock it.

Sorry for the long post but I'm excited for you. Do post up pictures of your bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fvasiliou View Post
    hey!

am about to pull the trigger for a reign 2 3013 in large, i read what you wrote about the overdrive vs overdrive 2 stem sizes... my i question is: are you sure that reign 2 will be ok for every stem?i dont want to struggle after the purchace!
    thanks for the info
    I am quite sure the reign 2 uses overdrive. You might want to double check this with the bike shop.
    2010 Giant Trance X3
    2013 Giant Reign 1