mtbr member
    Jul 2013

2013 Diamondback recoil and Fox RP23

Called Fox and Diamonback. Neither could help. I just received my new Fox RP23 and was told I wold need nothing else and it would fit. Bullshot!!! Can someone please help with eyelet size?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Why won't it fit? Did you use the old mounting bolts or the new ones? Also, it has to be the same dimension as the old shock, or else the bike might not play nice with it.

mtbr member
    The eye to eye length is the measurement from the center of one eyelet to the center of the other. They come in different lengths like 6.5 inches, 7 inches, 7.5 inches, etc. The other measurement you need is the stroke. This is the length the shock travels. With the wrong stroke, you'll change your rear wheel travel. These are generally 1 inch, 1.5 inches, 2 inches, and so on.

The eyelets of the three main manufacturers (Fox, Rock Shox, and Marzocchi) all use slightly different standards so bushings are not cross compatible. If your old shock was a fox, you might be in luck. If not, you'll need new bushings. You'll have to use a mic caliper to measure the width of your old bushings and order new one's in the same size. Any local shop should be able to help with that.

Lastly, make sure you torque the bolts down fairly tight. I know my Santa Cruz Blur Carbon has a spec of 195 foot pounds, which is quite a bit. Your shock may actually be a bit sloppy in the mounts until you snug it up to proper specs.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Also, don't believe everything component companies tell you; most of the time, you aren't talking to someone who has ever worked on a bike, let alone knows what the hell they are talking about. Make sure you do the research first. One time, I had a guy on the line from diamondback who told me the threading of a bottom bracket on both sides was "lefty loosey! Yep, should be good!". Anyways lol.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman View Post
    The eye to eye length is the measurement from the center of one eyelet to the center of the other. They come in different lengths like 6.5 inches, 7 inches, 7.5 inches, etc. The other measurement you need is the stroke. This is the length the shock travels. With the wrong stroke, you'll change your rear wheel travel. These are generally 1 inch, 1.5 inches, 2 inches, and so on.

The eyelets of the three main manufacturers (Fox, Rock Shox, and Marzocchi) all use slightly different standards so bushings are not cross compatible. If your old shock was a fox, you might be in luck. If not, you'll need new bushings. You'll have to use a mic caliper to measure the width of your old bushings and order new one's in the same size. Any local shop should be able to help with that.

Lastly, make sure you torque the bolts down fairly tight. I know my Santa Cruz Blur Carbon has a spec of 195 foot pounds, which is quite a bit. Your shock may actually be a bit sloppy in the mounts until you snug it up to proper specs.
    ^^^^^
    what he said
    measure the width of the old bushing whilst in the shock. then order fox bushings in that width,
    I hope you got eye to eye and stroke length rite first.
    too long of a piston/stroke and the wheel could rub on the frame.

mtbr member
    did you get your problem fixed?