mtbr member
    Jun 2013

2012 Trek 6500 an outdated bike?

Hi,

I went into my LBS to check out some 29er hardtails, specifically Trek's, Mamba, Cobia and X Caliber. I love Treks. I told the LBS that my price range was 1K-$1200. This would be my first mountain bike, but I have no plans to upgrade components. She looked for leftover 2012 Cobia's and X Calibers to get within my price range but had none. I did take out a 2013 19" Mamba, $929, but the bike felt a little heavy (weighed in at 32.5 lbs) and I didn't care for the Hayes hydraulic breaks. The 2013 X Caliber 19" was priced too high at $1529 or so. I took it out anyway, and liked it, but not the price. She said she did have a 2012 leftover Trek 6500 in my size (18.5"). I'm 5'9 with a 31.5 inseam. Never considered going with a 26"er, but the specs on the bike were incredible (see link) for the $1200 they are now asking. The bike definitely was easier to handle in the turns and the brakes, gears and front suspension were the best of all the bikes I was considering. The bike came in at 27.2 lbs in a 18.5. I know for 2013 Trek stopped producing the 6500 and even the 6000. Was this due to demand? Are 26'er becoming a thing of the past?. Are 29ers becoming the new standard for mountain bikes. The deal seems good and a 29er with those components would be close to 2K. Is there anything that the 6500 can't handle that a similarly priced 29er ($1200) could? LBS did say if I had plans for any hooliganism jumps for example that a 26er would serve me better.

Also regarding the
    6500 I noticed that the grips had no ends to keep them in place like the online pics show. I was able to rotate them by hand. This is something that should be standard, correct? My LBS also said they added black full alloy pedals to the bike for test rides. Checking the specs, these are supposed to be standard. Not happy if they are trying to deceive me. They said they could not do more than the current discount of $500 though. I told them I would expect the entire bike to be re-tuned. I did find the breaks to vibrate at times. What kind of maintenance should I ask them to do with the brakes and fork? The bike looks like its been tested a few times and needs a good cleaning also.

Thanks

From the archive:

TrekBikes.com Bike Archive | 2012 6500

mtbr member
    The bike came in at 27.2 lbs in a 18.5. I know for 2013 Trek stopped producing the 6500 and even the 6000. Was this due to demand? Are 26'er becoming a thing of the past?. Are 29ers becoming the new standard for mountain bikes.

The Trek 6500 is a Cross Country hardtail and the demand for 26" bikes in that market have really died off. This doesn't mean its a bad bike some people still love that 26ers even for cross country racing.

The deal seems good and a 29er with those components would be close to 2K. Is there anything that the 6500 can't handle that a similarly priced 29er ($1200) could? LBS did say if I had plans for any hooliganism jumps for example that a 26er would serve me better.

A $1200 26er and 29er will be able to handle the same types of terrain. That said this is an XC bike so if you're planning to do hooliganism jumps you may want to rethink the style of bike your looking at.

I noticed that the grips had no ends to keep them in place like the online pics show. I was able to rotate them by hand. This is something that should be standard, correct?
    You shouldn't be able to rotate the grips by hand. If they are lock on grips with rings at the end they may just need to be tightened. This is something the shop should fix before you purchase the bike.

My LBS also said they added black full alloy pedals to the bike for test rides. Checking the specs, these are supposed to be standard. Not happy if they are trying to deceive me. They said they could not do more than the current discount of $500 though. I told them I would expect the entire bike to be re-tuned. I did find the breaks to vibrate at times. What kind of maintenance should I ask them to do with the brakes and fork? The bike looks like its been tested a few times and needs a good cleaning also.

A new bike shouldn't need any work even if it has been sitting in the shop a while. This whole thing makes it seems like your shop may not be the best around. You may want to look around at other shops.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks, I'm still on the fence with this decision.