mtbr member
    Feb 2010

2012 Transition Bandit- Wheel question

Alright, tired of pushing around a couple of boat anchors for wheels. Currently, front wheel is Mavic 823 laced to a Magura (DT Swiss, I think) hub and the rear is a Stans Flow laced to a Sram X9. Both rims are tubeless with 2.3 Nevegals.

New wheels need to be convertible, as I'm running a 20mm axle. Rear can be 10x135, but would prefer to take advantage of the 12x142 dropouts the Bandit comes with.

Ive been looking at the Sun Ringle Charger Pros, but I can't stand those red hubs (silly, I know, but I don't want my bike looking like a christmas tree)! The Charger Experts have black hubs, but I really like the weight of the Pros. It looks like the Charger Pros are about a 1/2 pound lighter, is it worth the upgrade over the Experts?

Any other recommendations?

Also, would love to hear some tire recommendations for tubeless tires that will roll a little easier than my Nevegals but still be able to withstand rocks?

Picture, for reference:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Transition Bandit- Wheel question-2012-08-31-23.35.07.jpg  

usually cranky
    as for the wheels: the chargers do not differ in rim weight. the hubs on the pros are lighter as well as the spokes. functionally i do not think you will notice. for tires nearly anything will roll faster. my favorites are the spec butcher or maxxis minion with exo. people also rave about the schwable hd.

mtbr member

Charger Pro

I have a Transition Bandit and I run the Charger Pro wheels. Personally I like the red hubs but the wheels are really light and super stiff. Go for it.
    www.mtbiking.ca
    Your Key To The Epic Ride!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I thought 2013 chargers finally Went to black hubs...

What's your budget?

If its crazy get some envy am's, but if not I'd go arch ex or Chinese carbon rims.
    DT comp spokes or cxray if your weight weening hard.
    Alloy nips
    DT 240 hubs

Arch EX wheels meet all the criteria, fit both the big boy axles, and a little lighter than charger at rim, better price too.

Tires - everything I've ever owned gets shredded by a rock through the sidewall sooner or later.
    ORP

humber river advocate
    industry nines are great wheels, i've used and abused mine

INDUSTRY NINE : : : - navigation
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

EvilRider
    Oct 2008
    2012 Bandit (29er) Got the PRO's and Schwalbe Nobby Nics. I dropped 14.5 oz off of each wheel !! Pedals so easy, quick pick up and STIFF. The bearings in the Pros are money, they freewheel forever. This bike sees the DH lifts and light FR as well as singletrack, after one retension in May I havent touched them since

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzy View Post
    I thought 2013 chargers finally Went to black hubs...

What's your budget?

If its crazy get some envy am's, but if not I'd go arch ex or Chinese carbon rims.
    DT comp spokes or cxray if your weight weening hard.
    Alloy nips
    DT 240 hubs

Arch EX wheels meet all the criteria, fit both the big boy axles, and a little lighter than charger at rim, better price too.

Tires - everything I've ever owned gets shredded by a rock through the sidewall sooner or later.
    Looks like the 2013 Chargers still roll red hubs...

Budget is still sort of up in the air, although I can get a screaming deal on the Charger Pros so nothing else has really been on my radar for the same price unless I buy used. The Arch EX's would be nice assuming I could convert the front hub to a 20mm thru axle. I don't think I'll ever be able to afford I9's, and Im not really about the bling either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Have you thought about the black flag pros? I don't know the internal width but the external is nearly the same as the Arch EX and they don't have the red hubs just straight black. Also as far as I know with the Chargers and the Black flags you have to go pro level to use 142 in the rear.

ps. I love that green color!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    my favorites are the spec butcher or maxxis minion with exo.