mtbr member
    Apr 2012

New question here. 2012 Stumpy EVO carbon or the New Bronson Carbon?

I used to have a Giant Trance X,which is a 5 inches trailbik
    ---------------
    Both bike are in my budget and well serve my style of riding
    I am not sure about the 650B, but I also want to try something new..
    For about the same price
    I can either get a RAM kit bronson C or 2012 Stumpy EVO carbon(old version on sale)
    the spec one weights about 26lbs; the bronson weights about 30lbs
    I just don't know which one I should buy..the old version on sale or the All new Ram kit 650B Bronson
    What's your opinion?

mtbr member
    Where do you live and what type of trails will you be riding?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    Where do you live and what type of trails will you be riding?
    I just moved to Medford, MA,the trails here vary widely from XC-AM, I am not sure what kind of trail I like best but I really like to ride fast and do jumpy stuffs

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I sold my 12 Stumpjumper carbon evo to get a new carbon bronson. Bronson is way better for what I ride. I ride the rocky trails in Phoenix, AZ. My carbon Bronson is just a tad over 28 lbs.

usually cranky
    ^with a name like that you dont seem biased at all

Finally stateside again
    i would go with the stumpy evo. i do personally own the bike but if your going to be dropping that kind of money you might as well get some good components with it. i have been looking at the Bronson for the last few months but the only way i would get one is if i could get a higher spec one which is 6200 bucks. i bet you could ride these bikes and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the 2 peddling . the only thing i would suggest is to switch out the fox 32 with a 34 and put a shorter stem on if you like to go on the steeper down hills

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mzorich View Post
    i would go with the stumpy evo. i do personally own the bike but if your going to be dropping that kind of money you might as well get some good components with it. i have been looking at the Bronson for the last few months but the only way i would get one is if i could get a higher spec one which is 6200 bucks. i bet you could ride these bikes and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the 2 peddling . the only thing i would suggest is to switch out the fox 32 with a 34 and put a shorter stem on if you like to go on the steeper down hills
    Thanks for your advice. I am considering get a 34 talas as well.

Finally stateside again
    Quote Originally Posted by Drightjustin View Post
    Thanks for your advice. I am considering get a 34 talas as well.
    this is totally my opinion but if you do end up going the stumpy direction i would go with the float 34. its a much smoother running fork it will save you a half pound and most people i know that run the talas dont ever drop the fork. unless you have some very long climbs its pretty pointless and with the ctd you can almost lock the fork out . just my .2 cents

LCW
    mtbr member
    OP - maybe check out the new Santa Cruz Solo...

Santa Cruz Bicycles SOLO CARBON
    2011 Yeti 575 - Fox Float 36 RC2 160 - 31.5 lbs

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have ridden both, and own a 2013 Carbon Stumpy EVO 26" custom build. You will enjoy both bikes, neither will hold you back on their appropriate terrains. The stumpy is more fun to ride, poppier, jumps better and is more playful overall. The bronson "feels" faster, pedals great and as a 27.5" seems to balance the benefit of both bookend wheel sizes, but once you ride a stumpy evo everything else feels numb. My stumpy is 26.5 lbs with a 36 VAN on the front and it's the most fun, best bike I have ever owned. Who cares what we all say though, go ride both, pick which one YOU like better and you will be happy. Both are great choices.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I just "pulled the trigger" "bit the bullet" and whatever else on a enduro 29er. Supposed to be in at the end of this month.

The geometry is just incredible, nothing compares. I like the Tallboy LTc and the Bronson seems nice too, but the enduro just takes the cake with 16.9" chainstays on a 29er and 155mm travel. It's not always about travel, but I want a 29er for the speed it can maintain, and I want something I can take to the ski resort every once and a while, plus there are some fun bermed trails around here.

Just a FYI, it's supposed to be speced with the RS Pike 160 now, 35mm stanchions, new bladder-damper like fox.

Assuming you are talking about the 29 enduro...which you may not be. The 26er is something like 16.3" chainstays though, still "on top" as far as the geometry IMO.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    if you go with the stumpy evo, and decide to put on a 34 talas, go up to a 160 as well.
    i personally ride an enduro which i love, but have ridden stumpys with 150 and 160. with the 160 the bike still handles great and gives you a little more confidence when pointed down.
    Juice

LCW
    mtbr member

2012 Stumpy EVO carbon or the New Bronson Carbon?

An Evo should get a 36 imo
    2011 Yeti 575 - Fox Float 36 RC2 160 - 31.5 lbs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    An Evo should get a 36 imo
    Or how about the new Pike?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm still running the 32 Float RL on my Stumpy Evo, definitely a budget choice by Specialized......................The new RS Pike seems like the perfect match.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I would start by riding them both. Im sure you can find some demo bikes. The parking lot test isn't going to do it, specially when you're putting down that kind of dough. If you cannot find demo bikes, post in your regional forum i bet some local MTBers will let you ride their bikes. i think that will give you the idea of what bike you really want. Dont rely on the hype of what people say i love my bike and i sure would try and sell you on what i ride but it might not be the bike for you.

mtbr member
    Possible to get the frameset w/ carbon front triangle, and aluminum rear tri on either of these?