Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

2012 All mountain's

What 2012 All mountain bike will you be buying??

After seeing the 2012 Spec Enduro Expert Evo, I just fell in love, but will I get $4700 in time?? ))
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 All mountain's-2012-specialized-enduro-fsr-expert-evo.jpg  

mtbr member
    that's a nice ride. i saw some pics of the frame only option and it was nice as well. got 4 on my list to decide on...

knolly chicoltin
    commencal meta am
    nicolai helius am
    or..just stay true to my Transition and get the latest covert (and $$ave)

mtbr member
    For me a large yellow Nukeproof Mega please..

meow meow
    i saw the 2012 stumpy evo on vital and was blown away, everything im looking for. a bit pricey for me though. right now my top picks are a reign (if its a good color), covert, or khs xct 556.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Why the reign over the spec? They have one color out so far but hopefully more to come

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Reign 2012
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 All mountain's-giant-reign-0-2012.jpg  

mtbr member
    2012 Mojo HD x9 kit in Vitamin P. Right now its on a fedex truck or in aa fedex warehouse shipping to me.

meow meow
    im just talking framesets. a reign is like 1.5 whereas the stumpy evo will be around 3. theres no way i can pay 3k for a frame.

btw do you have a picture of the 2012 reign frameset?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Specialized Enduro or Santa Cruz Nomad. I know Santa Cruz doesn't update specs on a yearly basis but that's what I'm interested in.

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    Just found these.

Whats this line for?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    How much can you expect to pay for your Nomad? They really are nice bikes!!!!

wuss
    Is that shock on the Enduro Evo mounted with some custom solution? Can you replace it with something better? I quite like the look of the bike, luckily I don't need a new one.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebas69 View Post
    How much can you expect to pay for your Nomad? They really are nice bikes!!!!
    Hopefully around $3500. It won't be cheap but it will totally be worth it. Either bike will give me a reliability and versatility...which is important since it will most likely be my only mountain bike.

In the meantime I need to get my skills up to warrant owning such a sweet bike!

fraid of heights
    Quote Originally Posted by dropadrop View Post
    Is that shock on the Enduro Evo mounted with some custom solution? Can you replace it with something better? I quite like the look of the bike, luckily I don't need a new one.
    There's a guy who worked with someone and created mounts for a CCB for his Enduro Evo. It's on the last page of the AM picture thread and he has a link to his build thread in his sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    Everytime you ride in mud, god kills a kitten.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I am planning on an Ibis mojo hd, santa cruz nomad carbon or a nomad al. I cannot decide which though!

mtbr member
    ^ I did the reasearch and now mine is sitting in my living room next to me. Take a look through both the SC forums and Ibis forums, use google etc. I don't think you'll be disappointed with any of them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Pivot Firebird for me...now I just need to work some overtime... That means I have less time to ride...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Tim-H can I ask why you got whichever bike you did and which bike you got?

mtbr member
    PM sent because they are all observations I made after months of looking. I don't want to start a SC vs Ibis vs Specialized argument with everyone else.

meow meow
    just dont mention fsr and no one will get too upset

mtbr member
    I was in the same boat as tim h. I also decided on a mojo HD large vitamin p. It was between that an the nomad carbon. I went with the mojo cuz I demoed it an fell in love. Did LOTS of reading etc... pretty much it came down to ... price (mojo ended up a few hunge cheaper) and there weren't really any local dealers for santa cruz. I definitely could not find an oppurtunity to even demo one otherwise it may have been a little harder decision. But, from everything I've read, just the superior customer service from ibis is enough. Whether you have an ibis mojo HD, pivot 5.7, giant reign X, SC nomad, Spec, evo haha, I don't think you can go wrong with any of those bikes!
    Full time rider part time racer...

See my adventures here..

https://www.instagram.com/projectnortheast/

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The HD will be my next ride after demoing one a few months ago. Probably going with med. vitamin p, XT kit, and iodines in orange. Factors for choosing the Mojo = Awesome bike that is just as good going up as it can rip down, customer service, and they sure are good looking.

mtbr member
    I went with Vit P partially because it was more unique. Now everyone is getting Vit P!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    Wow...sweet frame but no ISCG?

mtbr member
    ^ If I remember correctly it does have a replaceable ISCG mount

Knomer

Hitting trails this fall.
    Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post

What's with the link? Seems like a lot of pivots and bearings...what benefit does it provide?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-H View Post
    ^ If I remember correctly it does have a replaceable ISCG mount
    yes, the bb shell is grooved like a free hub so you can slide on a plate to adapt for any iscg standard.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nenbran View Post
    What's with the link? Seems like a lot of pivots and bearings...what benefit does it provide?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it have the same amount of bearings and pivots as a DW link or a Maestro?

Knolliac

What's the Link?

FOUR BY 4 LINKAGE

The Four by 4 Linkage is Knolly Bikes’ patented and proprietary suspension technology. Our suspension design is akin to the most sophisticated multi-linkage systems used in auto racing and provides features and performance unmatched in the mountain bike industry.

Knolly designs and manufactures two versions of its Four by 4 Linkage: both designs are patented but are aimed at slightly different market segments:
    The original design is used in the Podium and Delirium frames and is optimized for the generally more linear rates of coil spring suspension and long travel high volume air shocks. This design also provides a slightly higher leverage ratio typical of longer travel frames and is designed structurally to handle the highest levels of abuse. It also generates the large radius wheel paths required to achieve superior pedaling performance in longer travel frames while still having incredible sensitivity for amazing technical trail performance.
    The lightweight Four by 4 Linkage is used in the Chilcotin and Endorphin frames. Its design is tailored to the slightly more progressive spring rates of high volume air shocks and has a direct-drive linkage that compliments the lower leverage ratios used in these bikes. It is also more compact and while allowing the use of relatively long stroke shocks still leaves lots of room in the front triangle for both great stand over height and the ability to carry a water bottle in an actually useful location. The lightweight Four by 4 Linkage provides superior traction allowing for exceptional technical climbing and descending abilities in all gear ratios, yet achieves the best pedaling performance capable in any suspension design.

All of our full suspension frames utilize the patented Four by 4 Linkage design: whether the original or the lightweight design, all Knolly Bikes frames feature amazing pedaling dynamics, superiour traction, great tire clearance, extremely high lateral rigidity for excellent trail tracking, neutral braking forces, great stand over, full length seat tubes, easy to access rear shocks and low maintenance designs. The Knolly Four by 4 Linkage is simply the most sophisticated, highest performance design available in the mountain bike industry – period.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yet another modified single pivot.Yup.

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck Pitueee View Post
    Yet another modified single pivot.Yup.
    Nope, that's definitely not a single pivot. It is a true four bar (FSR) linkage with the Knolly 4X4 linkages driving the shock to provide great control over the shock rate.
    Tallboy3 CC : Nomad3 CC: Highball2 CC : Stigmata2 CC

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebas69 View Post
    What 2012 All mountain bike will you be buying??

After seeing the 2012 Spec Enduro Expert Evo, I just fell in love, but will I get $4700 in time?? ))

i think a 36 fork would make a little more sense on that bike

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by Nenbran View Post
    Noel Buckley's 4x4 design is patented & proprietary to Knolly Bikes, and he has no plans to license to any other maker. Most people think the reason you see double linkage in the 4x4 is for added stiffness, when in reality that is just an added bi-product. Where Noel earned his patent is actually IN the double linkage, because they perform a vital role in the suspension philosophy and execution. The double linkage actually separates wheel path from shock progression, which allows Noel to dial each independently depending on intended purpose.

What does all this mean in terms of performance? Incredible small bump compliance, traction, and fully active travel(even during braking). And I do mean FULLY active.
    Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

J:
    gone riding
    Dec 2009

Good job!

I like the extra beef on the rear pivot compared to the proto.. now lets see a mf photo

fraid of heights
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko G View Post
    i think a 36 fork would make a little more sense on that bike
    why would you buy the EVO model then?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Waiting for the new Pivot 5.7 carbon this week!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Looking at getting a Lapierre Spicy, not sure if 2011 or 2012 though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Torn between the carbon Yeti SB66 (when it drops, I don't mind waiting), Nomad c and a Remedy 9.9. Really, really tough call.

mtbr member
    Noel Buckley's 4x4 design is patented & proprietary to Knolly Bikes, and he has no plans to license to any other maker. Most people think the reason you see double linkage in the 4x4 is for added stiffness, when in reality that is just an added bi-product. Where Noel earned his patent is actually IN the double linkage, because they perform a vital role in the suspension philosophy and execution. The double linkage actually separates wheel path from shock progression, which allows Noel to dial each independently depending on intended purpose.

What does all this mean in terms of performance? Incredible small bump compliance, traction, and fully active travel(even during braking). And I do mean FULLY active.
    Thanks for the explanation!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I ride a Giant Reign 2, it was a no brainer... none of its competition was within $500.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm pretty psyched on a 2012 Remedy. Can't decide between carbon or aluminum.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Just ordered my Ibis Mojo HD, in size XL! 6-7 week wait, but I think it will be worth it

fraid of heights

I thought the Spec Demo DH bikes did the exact same thing, (having one link control shock progression and another handle swing arm duties). Wonder how they missed the opportunity to get another suspension patent? Wonder how Noel's patent will fare when the Specialized horst link patent expires? Does he still have to pay Spec to use the horst link?

Seems like you could add a horst link to a Yeti swing link bike and get most of the suspension performance of the Knolly design with allot less weight!

(NOBODY MAKE THAT BIKE I"M PATENTING THE IDEA AS i TYPE!!!!!)

fraid of heights
    Quote Originally Posted by the_terrible_1 View Post
    Torn between the carbon Yeti SB66 (when it drops, I don't mind waiting), Nomad c and a Remedy 9.9. Really, really tough call.
    I would think the NomadC is a bit of a different beast than the other two bikes...?

fraid of heights
    Quote Originally Posted by mrniceguy42 View Post
    Wow...sweet frame but no ISCG?
    Looks like no room! I wonder if it would be worth the industry looking into just doing a 2 bolt ISG standard that just bolted down below? Seems like some companies are having a hard time with that top bolt being in the way of suspension bits!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stiingya View Post
    Looks like no room! I wonder if it would be worth the industry looking into just doing a 2 bolt ISG standard that just bolted down below? Seems like some companies are having a hard time with that top bolt being in the way of suspension bits!
    Its removable, you can put a blank, an 05 or an "old" on there.

I would think the NomadC is a bit of a different beast than the other two bikes...?
    I'm still waiting for my SB-66 frame but it should end up somewhat like this ( coil + 36 up front )
    http://www.sicklines.com/2011/07/22/...66-coil-setup/

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    That's my choice!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nando87 View Post
    That's my choice!!
    Ill give it a try but in carbon.

mtbr member

Carbon solution?!

Excited about the looks of this little release... carbine from intense 5.5" or 6"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 All mountain's-carbine-raw-9.jpg  

fraid of heights

That's friggen sweet looking! (Ibis will be p!$$ed they stole their Vitamin P color)

Odd though, the Yeti website specifically said the SB66 would be a more controlled suspension. That you would, "feel more of the trail". And that the current 575 would be more plush. So I would have thought the bike was leaning towards a more XC/trail bike with updated geo numbers? (certainly seemed that way when they introduced the bike?)

Likewise the the 2012 Remedy has been slimmed down and lightened yet again. Hence the reason I said the NomadC stood out a bit from the 3 of those bikes?

whats the scoop with all the hints of a carbon SB66??? spill it!!! (gotcha, thanks Tim-H, yeah that's gonna be even sweeter in carbon, only 7 lbs now! Guess I was wrong with pigeonholing that bike, funny that it was their own marketing that did it!!! LOL)
    Last edited by stiingya; 07-27-2011 at 11:15 PM.

mtbr member
    I think vit p is a little brighter, just hard to get a good picture to represent it anyway. The original reports said the sb66 would have a carbon frame available in September. Probably moved out a month or two now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    .... carbon frame available in September. Probably moved out a month or two now.
    December Im very interested in what price they'll put on that baby. Anyway its nice to see more and more companies making their bikes in carbon. Hopefully prices will start dropping in year or two

Radical Rookie
    This is crazy! The more I read on, the longer the shortlist!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by stiingya View Post
    Really? I think the differences between "trail" and "all mountain" are becoming increasingly blurred with each new bike that comes out. Once upon a time it was just mountain biking, then DH/XC and now DH/XC/freeride/Dual Slalom/Enduro/All mountain/trail/park all exist. What makes you think of it as a different beast out of curiousity? Only an inch of travel difference and I would personally spec all the bikes with a Monarch Plus/Lyrik up front.

My reasoning between these three is that I live in Surrey in the UK and I'm fortunate to have some great trails on the doorstep and the alps aren't too far away. Whilst I love sessioning jumps/drops and mini DH courses, I also like to earn my descent my riding up the climbs and hammer hard and fast on singletrack, so I'm looking for something with the weight of a trail bike but the muscle and abuse-ibility of an AM rig. Nomad fits the bill but the industry insiders have spoken of the revelation of the Switch design on the Yeti. Seems very appealling on the climbing side of things. And have you seen that Yeti with the coil front and rear?!!! It's bloody gorgeous!

Stiingya, apologies, saw your reasoning a couple of posts up.
    Last edited by the_terrible_1; 07-28-2011 at 03:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tsuful View Post
    December Im very interested in what price they'll put on that baby. Anyway its nice to see more and more companies making their bikes in carbon. Hopefully prices will start dropping in year or two
    Oops, you're right, good call. Right now Carbon is still a lot more expensive to produce than Alu parts, in materials alone even. Carbon is on the way up but as it is, only paying a couple hundred more for a carbon frame is a steal. The cost reduction will come more from other industries adopting carbon for their mass produced parts. Auto industry would be huge, but don't expect to see CF panels or mechanical bits coming from the factory on a Hyundai Elantra anytime soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Oops, you're right, good call. Right now Carbon is still a lot more expensive to produce than Alu parts, in materials alone even. Carbon is on the way up but as it is, only paying a couple hundred more for a carbon frame is a steal. The cost reduction will come more from other industries adopting carbon for their mass produced parts. Auto industry would be huge, but don't expect to see CF panels or mechanical bits coming from the factory on a Hyundai Elantra anytime soon.
    You`re right about that but if that Yeti will be 3000$ theres no way i can justify the price difference between alu vs carbon

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Heres my 2012 rig...

Gotta represent Ibis here!
    New for 2012 is 142x12 Maxle, Direct Mount Front Derailleur, and its overall *****in' ness
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 All mountain's-img_1870.jpg  

Live Hard, Ride Hard, and Drink Hard

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    damn fools stealing colors. What kind of world do we live in?!?!?!?

mtbr member
    Nice Mojo, how you feeling about the weirwolf up front? I have mine at ~32psi and its still lacking grip.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Personally, I hate the Weirwolf with a fiery passion. I went for a ride 2 days ago and it caused me to slide out 3 times and eat it. I run my tires at around 30 psi + or -. I'm extremely disappointed with the lack of traction that the Weirwolf has, and more importantly the misinformation regarding its "performance". Maybe I'm pushing the tire to hard, but who knows.

I just ordered a pair of Maxxis High Roller 2.3s, which I have had success with in the past. If I were you, I would switch out to some High Rollers and be set for life.

Happy Riding

mtbr member
    I don't think pushing too hard is the problem. I had the same issue. Running the same trails I always do I kept sliding out. Most of the corners it just slid me up the berm a bit and I was able to recover, a few other times the whole bike washed out from under me.

The recoverable slides were on dry hardpack, the complete washouts were on miniscule loose over hard.

Oh, So Interesting!
    I won't be getting a new bike unless my '09 Trek Remedy breaks, if it did I'd go with a Trek Slash for a warranty replacement.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    So very nice bikes...where is that money tree??

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RiderNH View Post
    its called a job

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Yokums View Post
    its called a job
    Good thing I have a job. Bad I have to pay the bills first.

ride natty, ride
    Lower the pressure on your weirwolves and they should get grippier. It's not my choice for a front tire, but I've found that they work best around 25 to 28. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by natedawg0420 View Post
    Lower the pressure on your weirwolves and they should get grippier. It's not my choice for a front tire, but I've found that they work best around 25 to 28. YMMV.
    I just ordered some 2.35 high rollers. problem fixed

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    @Yokums - Glad to hear you got those, I'm the tall guy from blisworks (real name omitted for safety purposes, but you know who I am) Are you going to run High Rollers both front and back?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RiderNH View Post
    Save save save. Single guy with no other responsibilities here, saved up over a year. Was worth it IMO. Just set a little aside every month. Even at $300 a month that's $3600 in a year.

Quote Originally Posted by natedawg0420 View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Was going to try a little lower before I decided to toss them. I hope they work well at 25. Even though I can afford a new tire, I'd rather not buy one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by banebane View Post
    @Yokums - Glad to hear you got those, I'm the tall guy from blisworks (real name omitted for safety purposes, but you know who I am) Are you going to run High Rollers both front and back?
    hahahahaha, fosho. Yes, I'm running high rollers front and back. You should do the same with your HD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yokums View Post
    Gotta represent Ibis here!
    New for 2012 is 142x12 Maxle, Direct Mount Front Derailleur, and its overall *****in' ness
    Parts list please! What stem is that?Nice rig!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    2012 Lapierre Zesty 512. Can't wait

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bog View Post
    Nope, that's definitely not a single pivot. It is a true four bar (FSR) linkage with the Knolly 4X4 linkages driving the shock to provide great control over the shock rate.
    Sure looks like the rear axle rotates on a constant arc around the pivot above the bottom bracket. And a bunch of linkage to modify the shock rate. Modified single pivot.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck Pitueee View Post
    Sure looks like the rear axle rotates on a constant arc around the pivot above the bottom bracket. And a bunch of linkage to modify the shock rate. Modified single pivot.
    That's because either you aren't very observant or have no idea what you're talking about. Research what fsr or horst link is.

BTW... it is functionally 99% the same as a low single pivot like Turner used to use but there is a difference in the placement of the pivot near the rear axle.

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post
    That's because either you aren't very observant or have no idea what you're talking about. Research what fsr or horst link is.

^^^^^^^^^This!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I'm glad you said it before I did.

BTW... it is functionally 99% the same as a low single pivot like Turner used to use but there is a difference in the placement of the pivot near the rear axle.
    Horst Link bikes might ride similarly to low single pivot bikes but the design is still better since the axle path is much less of an arc. The braking is also substantially better when hitting the rough stuff because the Horst Link mostly decouples the braking forces from the suspension action. One ride on a Knolly down some steep rough trails makes the difference very noticeable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Parts list please! What stem is that?Nice rig!!!
    2012 Mojo HD Medium White Frame
    2012 Fox RC4 Kashima
    2012 Fox 36 160 RLC Kashima
    Stans Flow Rims laced to Ibis Hubs
    WTB Mutano 2.4 and Weir 2.3 tires
    Stans tubeless goooo
    Cane Creek 11O headset
    Raceface Atlas FR Handlebars
    Transition Templelite Stem
    Northshore Grips
    2010 Avid Elixir CR Brakes F185, R165
    2012 Rear XT Shifter
    2012 Shimano XT Rear Derailluer
    2010 Shimano XT Crank arms and Bottom Bracket
    2011 Renthal 32 tooth chainring
    Race Face Chainring bolts
    Downtube protector
    Ibis seatpost
    WTB Silverado Saddle Downieville Edition
    MRP G2 SL in the mail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Nice set up. When I replied on the first page I was sure I would be on a Firebird next year but now I'm torn between that and the Mojo HD. It might be time to try carbon...

The_Afterman
    Quote Originally Posted by banebane View Post
    I am planning on an Ibis mojo hd, santa cruz nomad carbon or a nomad al. I cannot decide which though!
    I was in the same boat man. and like the guy that posted the comment right after you said, look through both forums.

The SC forum isn't very active for the carbon nomads (understandable since it's a fairly new model) But still, some awesome rides.

The Mojo Forum is always active and I love that, good user base, lot's of people with knowledge. That's a plus.

In the end what sold me on the mojo was the rear 12x135 axle which the nomad doesn't have. It's still a QR (which on a 6" travel bike seems rather backwards, but hey, that's just me)

Either way, they're both sexy bikes. You can't go wrong with either but damn, the SC is sexyy

good luck

mtbr member
    The Mojo talk is more active because lets face it,the Mojo and HD version are really Ibis's only real popular bikes on this forum,with Santa Cruz there are MANY,like the Blur,Tallboy,Heckler,Butcher etc...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I ended up with a mojo HD! can't wait or it too arrive. Hard to believe they're still booked so far out in advance!

mtbr member
    May 2009

this is what I'll be on!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by charmon2 View Post
    Nice set up. When I replied on the first page I was sure I would be on a Firebird next year but now I'm torn between that and the Mojo HD. It might be time to try carbon...
    Can't go wrong with the hd!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post

You are absolutely right. I didn't notice the pivot just in front of the rear dropout. Either I'm going blind or I was blind drunk when I checked that out.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The new Yeti looks really nice & I like the Commencal MetaAM a lot:

http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/featu...ow,0/sspomer,2

I'mnot in the market for a new bike though. Just getting my Evil Sovereign the way I want it. And still have a couple oddsnends for next year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yup I was dead wrong. Got so used to seeing modified single pivots advertised as the best thing ever I didn't think the tiny looking pivot bearing near the rear dropout was a pivot.

mtbr member
    with an all mtn bike, can you hit the dh trails as well as xc? I am thinking about doing some dh but its 2 hours away compared to xc trails which are anywhere from 10 min to 30 minutes away.

thanks

mtbr member
    Ajcjr,you are the perfect candidate for an all mountain rig!If you get a DH bike you will regret it with those trails so close.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ajcjr View Post
    with an all mtn bike, can you hit the dh trails as well as xc? I am thinking about doing some dh but its 2 hours away compared to xc trails which are anywhere from 10 min to 30 minutes away.

thanks
    Thats the point of a AM bike...Something you can ride anything on, with enough travel to make it down the hill while having fun, and being able to ride uphill as well

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeti SB66 and Intense Tracer 2 are the most interesting newcomers, especially for Yeti.

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm pretty stoked on my new Yeti! Three really good rides on it and it definitely is a different animal than other AM bikes I've tried. Very burly feeling, sucks up bumps nicely and pedals very well. It makes me want to charge harder than ever on all trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 All mountain's-yeti-sb-66-mtbr-small.jpg  

mtbr member
    Bog,that SB66 looks bad a$$...How does it compare to your Nomad?I have a 08 Nomad 1.5 and absolutely LOVE it and it would take some convincing for me to switch.Compare the 2!

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks, the bike is bada$$!. I put 5 solid hours of riding on it on the weekend and got to know the characteristics reasonably well. While I can't work out a perfect comparison because the SB fits me perfectly and the Nomad is a bit short in the TT I'll do my best.

Pedaling: as good as the Nomad is at pedaling and climbing the SB easily outshines it here. It is also much better than my old Blur LT2. VPP and VPP2 bikes have much more pedal kickback in the small ring which really shows itself on steep, ledgey climbs. The SB has a tiny bit of kickback but it is only noticeable if you stand up and climb a steep hill in the granny. For the most part the suspension remains super quite and composed no matter what you do, sitting or standing. I was pretty blown away at how well the Yeti pedals even without Propedal on ... and this is with the Kashima rear shock which is very sensitive. The SB also doesn't have that mid stroke wallow that the Nomad is famous for with an air shock. It has a very linear and predictable feel which seems to be a Yeti trait.

Handling: both bikes handle very well and are pretty slack. I'd say it is almost a tie in the handling department but I give the nod to the Yeti because the back end is far stiffer laterally than the Nomad. The Nomad's back end wags around a bit when pressed hard whereas the SB's back end feels like it follows the front perfectly. I'll be swapping to the 12X142 rear on the Yeti which should make this even better. I'm sure the tapered head tube helps as well but overall the SB has a very burly feel. It is really playful and wants you to pop it off roots and lips whenever you can.

Descending: This is a tough one because I haven't ridden my Nomad with an air shock for a while but I think the Nomad is a slightly better descender overall (it also has 15mm more travel). The SB is quite firm and descends very well but the Nomad's suspension just seems to get up and out of the way of bumps like no other. You pay the price for this VPP axle path during climbing but it works really well descending. The SB is definitely a more playful bike and constantly reminds you that it is low and slack by urging an aggressive riding style. The Nomad is a bit more relaxing and numbing to ride. Who knows, I might change my mind once I get more time on the SB.

All in all, the SB is the bike that I'd pick for AM riding even over a new Nomad if I had the choice. It is simply more fun to ride on my favorite trails. I generally start with a steep, rooty climb followed by some bomber singletrack followed by a rocky, rooty downhill and the SB handles all three sections like a champ.

My Nomad is currently built up as a bigger bike with a Totem up front and a Rocco WC coil on the rear. There is definitely some overlap in the bikes and I'm really thinking of selling the Nomad once I get the SB build finished up (waiting for a Fox 36 Float taper, Crossmax SX wheels and XTR Shadow Plus RD).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 All mountain's-img_4090.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice writeup,the upgraded fork will be nice! I have become a fan of coil front and rear as I went to RC4 & 36 Van on my Nomad,wonder how the SB would feel with coil?

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    One reason I was pretty stokes on this frame is that it shares common sizes with my other bikes (30.9 post, 73mm BB, 8.5X2.5 shock, 1.125 stem, 135 rear) . I definitely won't be throwing my Totem coil on it but I will be trying it out with my Rocco WC shcok. I'll likely pick up a used Van 36 as well. Apparently it rides really nicely with a coil due to the mainly flat suspension curve with a bit of ramp up at the end.

The bike is going to be sooo stealth when I get the black fork and swap to black cable housing!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    the sb-66 would also be my choice. its so beautiful!

mtbr member
    The more I look at the SB-66 frame,the less I like the look.Im not a fan of the brace that connects the top tube with the seat tube!Thats just an opinion on looks,I bet it is a superb ride!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast