Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

2011 Voodoo Zobop - My first FS bike

I just bought my first full suspension frame, a 2011 Voodoo Zobop. Ive been riding since 1992 and ive been on hardtails the entire time. Recently I've become FS curious so i decided it was time to give it a whirl. My plan is to swap over most of the components from my current bike.

I'm pretty excited to ride it for the first time, but I had to order a few new parts and they won't be here till Wednesday.

Until then I thought I'd ask for some opinions on the frame. Here are the pics:

Box

Head tube emblem which I think is pretty cool.

Close up.

Down tube logo.

Top tube logo.

Decent welds.

From the bottom.

Rear triangle welds.

More welds.

Top linkage.

Bottom linkage.

Frame shock. Rockshox Monarch RT3.

I'll post more pics as I get it assembled. I should have it completed on Thursday, which incidentally is my 37th birthday!

Just a quick run down of the build:

Fork: Rockshox Recon Race Solo Air, 120mm, PopLock, 20mm Thru Axle
    Headset: Cane Creek 40-Series ZS44/ZS56
    Wheels: Sun Rhyno Lite
    Hubs: Shimano Saint M800
    Tires: WTB Velociraptor 2.1
    Brakes: Shimano Deore XT M765, 203mm Rotors
    Bottom Bracket: Race Face X-Type
    Crank: Race Face Evolve DH, 36T Single
    Chain: Shimano HG73
    Chain Guide: E.Thirteen SS+
    Pedals: Crank Brothers Mallet 1
    Cassette: Shimano HG80 9-Speed 11-34
    Shifter: Shimano XT M770
    Derailleur: Shimano Saint M801 (1x9 setup, no FD)
    Seatpost: Raceface Evolve
    Collar: Salsa Liplock
    Saddle: Brooks Bomber, Copper Rails
    Grips: ODI Lock On
    Stem: Atom Lab Pimplite 38mm
    Bar: Easton Monkey Lite Hi Rise Carbon

My future plan is to upgrade the fork. Voodoo recommends a 140mm-150mm travel fork and my Recon is only 120mm.

My other concern is that the 140mm-150mm forks I've looked at have about 35mm longer axle-to-crown length than my Recon. I read somewhere that 35mm less in length equates to about a 1.5 degree difference in effective steerer tube angle. Voodoo specs say the Zobop has a 68 degree headtube, so I'm looking at a roughly 69.5 degree effective head tube angle. I've seen loads if bikes with headtubes steeper than 69.5mm. So I think ill be ok running my Recon fork until I'm ready to buy the correct fork.

Maybe I'm way off and have wrong info on the fork length issue. Someone with more experience might have better insight on this. What do you guys think?

Huffy Rider
    That bike begs for a Rev. I wouldn't bother building it up with that Recon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    That bike begs for a Rev. I wouldn't bother building it up with that Recon.
    Yes, a Rockshox Revelation, that is the plan. Unfortunately, I don't have an extra $700 for a new fork at the moment. I think the Recon will serve just fine for a couple of months.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loginfailed View Post
    Maybe I'm way off and have wrong info on the fork length issue. Someone with more experience might have better insight on this. What do you guys think?
    Your bike will feel a bit nicer once you've got a 150mm fork on it to match the back.

But in the mean time it'll be fine, it's not going to explode or hurl you over the bars at a moments notice do anything terribly drastic.

Huffy Rider
    Plenty of nice used 2010's out there...I had a 2010 and liked it better then my new one. BTW, I did NOT pay anywhere near $700 for mine. Shop around.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Or if on a budget, get a Sektor rather than the Recon. At least then you'll have the geometry the bike is meant for up front.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    I already own the Recon. It's a 2010 fork that's only about 8 months old. Still in perfect condition. So this IS the budget route

I'm not a fan of used forks because I don't know how they've been treated. I have no problem buying a new less expensive fork right now, but I'd prefer to wait a month or two to get the one I want, rather than cheaping out and regretting it later.

I need a 1.125-1.500 tapered steerer, 150mm travel, 20mm thru axle and I'd prefer it to be Black. Those are my requirements. There are not a lot of choices that meet those specs.

The fork I plan to buy is the Revelation RLT Ti. Part number is 00.4015.552.120. The least expensive I've found it is $673 shipped.
    http://www.modernbike.com/itemgroup....182860&TID=367

Any other forks you know of that fit these specs?

So what do y'all think of the frame? Anything look odd or out of place? Anything that looks good? I haven't really seen any reviews on it other than industry writers who rode prototypes of it. As far as I can tell I may be one of the first people to take a chance on one of these (or at least to post online about it).

mtbr member
    May 2010
    that frames sweet, where did you buy it from?
    live to ride, ride to live

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thats a sweet frame.

What could go wrong ...
    It looks like they have made some changes to the bottom link since the prototype ... I am having a hard time resisting the urge to replace my Canzo 26 frame with a Zobop
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    nice!

frame weight?
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mecca_1996 View Post
    that frames sweet, where did you buy it from?
    I bought it from Sun and Ski Sports. They don't stock Voodoo, but they can special order it from BTI. BTI is Voodoo's USA distributor and they have a store locator so you can find a dealer close to you.
    http://www.bti-usa.com/public/store_locator

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETREK View Post
    Thats a sweet frame.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoke2 View Post
    It looks like they have made some changes to the bottom link since the prototype ... I am having a hard time resisting the urge to replace my Canzo 26 frame with a Zobop
    The bike manager where I bought the frame also has a Canzo 26 and hinted that he may be swapping frames for a Zobop. So you are not alone!

Yea, I noticed the lower link is different. Other things I noticed...

The rear triangle is the same color as the frame as opposed to black like I've seen in the prototypes.

They ditched the extra bracing at the head tube. Not sure about the larger sizes, but mine is a 16". Maybe one of the larger sizes still has the brace. Who knows... The welds look decent, hopefully its strong. If not, I have a warranty!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic View Post
    nice!

frame weight?
    Thanks! Sorry, I did not weigh it yet, but the USA distributor, BTI claims that the 18" version weights 7.3 lbs (with shock). But mine is a 16" so it may be slightly less.

http://www.bti-usa.com/public/item/VD1221

http://www.bti-usa.com/public/catego...page=11#VD1221

Personally, I'm not too worried about weight. I have lost 55 lbs since February. I was riding mountain bikes at 212 lbs and now I'm riding at 157 lbs. A couple lbs here or there on the bike is not even on my radar. If you check my components list up top, most of it is pretty heavy so I wouldn't be surprised if this thing weighs over 35 lbs fully built.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    it seems like that frame may be a little flexy from side to side with the way the pivots are made without much bracing in between but i could be wrong.
    2009 Marin Mount Vision 5.7....a great everything bike...

mtbr member
    Yes I see what you are saying.

The upper link doesn't have any bracing where it meets the rear triangle. Its linked at the seat tube, braced at the little cross bar in the middle and linked at the upper shock mount. But the rear triangle has a brace across the top pretty close to where the upper link attaches. The rear triangle is also braced in the front (parallel to the seat tube) pretty well. The lower link looks pretty strong due to the fact that its so short.

I guess it all depends on the strength of materials and the quality of the welds. We shall see, only time will tell! I should have thus thing rolling Wednesday night and get to test ride it Thursday morning. I'll be sure to report back.

mtbr member
    Some of the parts I ordered came in yesterday via UPS so I was able to get the bike mostly assembled. That means more pics!

The e.thirteen SS+ chain guide.

As you can see in the picture above, the SS+ came with it's own bash guard. I prefer the look of my Race Face bash guard so I used the Race face one instead. Here you can also see the trusty Crank Brothers Mallet 1 Pedals.

The Zobop frame does NOT have ISCG tabs so I had to use a bottom bracket mounting adapter. It took me a few tries of installing and removing the bottom bracket and cranks to get everything lined up and get the chainline where I wanted.

Another thing that came up was that the Race Face Evolve DH cranks were built to have a granny ring. The SS+ is made for no granny ring so when the crank arm was tightened up, the granny ring mounting holes rubbed on the SS+. So I taped off the spline and bolt area and headed over to the bench grinder to grind the granny ring mounts off.

Here you can see better what I mean.

I figured I may as well get a new bottom bracket. There's nothing wrong with my old one but no sense taking a chance. On my old frame I have an Evolve DH bottom bracket. I tried to find another one but most places didn't have any so I just went with a Race XC model.

I originally had 160mm rotors. I decided since its all apart, why not go for bigger rotors... With M800 Saint hubs, the Centerlock splines are oversized. It's getting tough to find rotors for these hubs but luckily I found a pair of 203mm rotors on eBay Canada for a decent price.

SM-RT80 is the part number in case anyone needs rotors for M800 Saint hubs.

Lizard Skins fork boots.

XT Calipers

El Cheapo, heavy (but strong!) Sun Rhyno Lite wheels.

Brooks Bomber saddle with copper rails. Race Face Evolve seat post. Salsa Lip Lock seat post collar.

Shimano Saint M801 rear derailleur. It's a little scraped up but still works great.

The head tube is tapered but I'm using a 1-1/8" non-tapered fork. To do this the easiest way is use Cane Creek stuff. They sell the upper and lower parts separately so that you can mix and match to get what you need.

I ordered a regular 1-1/8" zero-stack upper and the 1-1/2" to 1-1/8" adapter zero-stack lower. I ordered them from the same place but they shipped from 2 different warehouses. The lower one showed up first so I just temporarily re-used the upper part of my previous headset so I could assemble the bike. I'll just swap the upper part on Wednesday when the new one arrives.

Bottom "adapter" headset. Fits a 1-1/2" head tube but allows 1-1/8" fork to be used.

That's about all I got for now.. I still need to swap the upper headset, install the shifter/derailleur cable and put a chain on it. Then it's time to test this beast out.

usually cranky
    looks good but lose the fork boots, they do more harm than good.

mtbr member
    I love the frame, but the build looks to put you over 40 pounds!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ROG30Y View Post
    it seems like that frame may be a little flexy from side to side with the way the pivots are made without much bracing in between but i could be wrong.

Looking back through the original frame pictures, it appears both top and bottom links do have lateral supports.

What could go wrong ...
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    looks good but lose the fork boots, they do more harm than good.
    +1 the boots will trap dirt
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Looking great until you put the condoms on.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions on the fork boots. I take them off after every ride and clean the fork and the boots. I've had great success in keeping my forks in good shape over the years. I'll think about taking them off. But I probably won't

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic View Post
    I love the frame, but the build looks to put you over 40 pounds!
    I'm not all that concerned with the weight, but your 40lb figure peaked my curiosity. So I researched weights online and calculated how much more the new bike will weigh.

If my calculations are close at all, it looks like I'll be adding 4.7lbs over what my old bike was. The old bike was 29.6lbs so I'm looking at roughly 34.3 lbs total. Not too bad, really.

If so inclined, I could look into swapping a few components down the road for lighter versions. I'll see how the extra weight feels. As I said earlier, Ive recently lost 55 lbs of body weight. So a slightly heavier bike, I doubt I will notice!

The reason I originally bought all of the heavier duty components last year is because I was 212 lbs and wanted something that would hold up to the abuse I put it through. Now that Im a lot lighter, I can get away with some lighter components. So as time goes on, I might get the weight weenie itch. But as of now I'm not concerned about the weight. My wallet is too empty right now anyway, haha!

usually cranky
    add .5 to 1 pound to that number. i dont know where it comes from but it always seems to be the case when comparing calculated vs real weight.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hn[QUOTE=ROG30Y;8274410]it seems like that frame may be a little flexy from side to side with the way the pivots are made without much bracing in between but i could be wrong.[/QUOT

I have pedaled a few prototypes as well as a production frame. Flex was not an issue out back,bikes rode very solid on some techy advanced trails here in N. AZ.E]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast