mtbr member
    Sep 2004

2011 Turner 5 Spot vs Yeti SB-66 -- who wins???

I was wondering if anyone who has had a chance to spend some time on either of these bikes in the dirt could give me some feedback on the qualities of both and how they compare.

Thanks.

Could could also substitute a Nomad carbon or Ibis Mojo HD if you have experience on these bikes as well.

mtbr member
    I'm interested to read perspectives on this one as well...both are bikes I'm considering. With the '11 5 Spot on special discount right now it looks very tempting. But a 6" bike that reportedly climbs so well while retaining its descending prowess (and all on a new suspension design) is intriguing to say the least.

OP you might consider posting in either Yeti, Turner, or both. Of course this might prompt some very partial responses, but that never happens

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Not sure if it matters, but I bet the Yeti
    can be built lighter.

Best, John

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    yeti

nocturnal oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by 007iron View Post
    yeti
    ^^^Interesting analysis.

I'll admit I do ride a 5 Spot. I've never ridden the SB66 so I can't give a comparison. The only thing that makes me wary of the Yeti is maintenance has yet to be determined. That eccentric link looks like it'll be exposed to a lot of throw from the rear tire.
    I'd want to wait to see how reliability pans out on a first model year design.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I've ridden both the 2011 5 Spot and the SB-66 back to back. The SB was a med with a 24in top tube and the 5 spot was a large with a 23.6in top tube. Both bikes were equipped similarly with the same 150mm fork. I tried to make the setup of bikes as closely as possible in terms of fit and suspension settings.

The Yeti feel more stable going down due to its longer wheelbase and slacker head angle. Just like they advertise, it's sporty and loves to be ridden aggressively. I found that the harder you rode, the better it responded. Very easy to pop jumps and perform drops. Turns very quickly. It sort of makes you feel invincible. On the flip side, riding it mellow wasn't as comfortable as the 5 Spot. The suspension feels harsher overall, and although it has more travel, it doesn't smooth over the bumps as seamlessly as the 5 Spot. The SB is a really fun bike, but I wouldn't want to ride it for more than a few hours at a time because the style of riding it encourages tires you out! The climbing on it was good to excellent - I could see a tiny amount of shock movement when I really mashed the pedals.

The 5 Spot is a better all-arounder. The rear suspension is very very smooth. I pedaled hard through a section of baby-heads and I swear they almost felt like they weren't there. The SB would bounce and ping off the rocks a bit more. You feel better after a long day on the 5 Spot than on the SB. The 5Spot climbs just a bit better than the SB - I detected zero pedal bob during seated climbing, and it handles square edge steps better. In terms of downhill, it can do everything the Yeti can do, except maybe successive steep drops, where the steeper head angle makes it feel more likely to pitch forward. But in any other situation like launching off drops or hitting tech terrain at speed, it was also great.

All in all, the Yeti is more aggro and fun, the 5spot is more refined and smooth. If you put an angle headset on the 5 Spot, you would have the perfect bike for aggressive/fast all day trail riding, and it fact, that's just what I'm planning on doing

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by jaks View Post
    I've ridden both the 2011 5 Spot and the SB-66 back to back. The SB was a med with a 24in top tube and the 5 spot was a large with a 23.6in top tube. Both bikes were equipped similarly with the same 150mm fork. I tried to make the setup of bikes as closely as possible in terms of fit and suspension settings.

The Yeti feel more stable going down due to its longer wheelbase and slacker head angle. Just like they advertise, it's sporty and loves to be ridden aggressively. I found that the harder you rode, the better it responded. Very easy to pop jumps and perform drops. Turns very quickly. It sort of makes you feel invincible. On the flip side, riding it mellow wasn't as comfortable as the 5 Spot. The suspension feels harsher overall, and although it has more travel, it doesn't smooth over the bumps as seamlessly as the 5 Spot. The SB is a really fun bike, but I wouldn't want to ride it for more than a few hours at a time because the style of riding it encourages tires you out! The climbing on it was good to excellent - I could see a tiny amount of shock movement when I really mashed the pedals.

The 5 Spot is a better all-arounder. The rear suspension is very very smooth. I pedaled hard through a section of baby-heads and I swear they almost felt like they weren't there. The SB would bounce and ping off the rocks a bit more. You feel better after a long day on the 5 Spot than on the SB. The 5Spot climbs just a bit better than the SB - I detected zero pedal bob during seated climbing, and it handles square edge steps better. In terms of downhill, it can do everything the Yeti can do, except maybe successive steep drops, where the steeper head angle makes it feel more likely to pitch forward. But in any other situation like launching off drops or hitting tech terrain at speed, it was also great.

All in all, the Yeti is more aggro and fun, the 5spot is more refined and smooth. If you put an angle headset on the 5 Spot, you would have the perfect bike for aggressive/fast all day trail riding, and it fact, that's just what I'm planning on doing
    Nice comparison there. It's about what I'd expected

mtbr member
    I've been on a 2010 5 Spot for about 3.5 months now and got a chance to ride all the other bikes you asked about at Interbike Dirt Demo last month in Boulder City.

If I had to rank them right now just based on these short first impressions I'd say:

1. Mojo HD/Turner 5 Spot tied... maybe a slight nod to the HD due to the longer travel in the rear.
    2. Yeti SB66
    3. SC Nomad
    '
    I haven't had the chance to ride a 2011-2012 Spot yet but with the changes Turner has made (slacker HA, lower BB etc) I think the Spot might nudge ahead slightly. I think Jaks impressions are fairly spot on.

We really liked all three of these bikes you mentioned and with the proper, personalized set up, I'm sure I would be pretty happy with any one of them.

Here's my reviews from Ibike if you care to read.

yohyatt
    Mar 2009
    ??? 5 spot is 6.7 lbs - sb66 is 7.5+ pounds. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    Not sure if it matters, but I bet the Yeti
    can be built lighter.

Best, John

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yohyat View Post
    ??? 5 spot is 6.7 lbs - sb66 is 7.5+ pounds. Am I missing something?

I think the Spot is closer to 7.5 lbs as well...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yohyat, you didn't miss anything. My mistake, I
    thought the Yeti frame was lighter.

Best, John

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jaks View Post

Great head to head comparison..., it's confirming that Yeti is a sportier ride than other bikes in it's class.
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

mtbr member
    Sporty is a very good way to describe the SB. I haven't ridden the 5Spot but I have an SB and I can also confirm that it is a stiff ride. Being that it is stiff, it is very fast, especially when paired with some quick rubber. When set up properly, it really does ride like a short travel bike or even a hardtail without the harshness, but it gives when it needs to without any perceivable change in shock rate. While it isn't plush, it does feel very good through rooty rocky sections and stays incredibly active over bumps while braking and pedaling. It has really zero pedal bob with normal seated pedaling, barely moves when you stand and hammer it, and this is with propedal turned off. It's a very responsive bike that wants to ride fast.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Thanks for all the awesome feedback!

I ended up buying an '11 5 Spot!! Based on a lot of the responses here and the reviews I've been reading, it seemed to fit my needs and riding style better. Also, I had an '08 5 Spot before so I am familiar with the Turner built and ride quality. I've always loved the peace of mind I have when owning a Turner. I've never worried about it's durability and longevity. Over the last three years of owning that bike it rode as well on the last ride as it did on the first. That's a great product.

I ended up transferring all my running gear from my '08 to the new '11 Spot. I've been of a four rides now on familiar trails and am very happy with the improvements of the new frame. It pedals and accelerates much better. The suspension also seems to be able to handle a lot of consecutive hits better which I really like.

The only down side so far is that my Pike fork also made the transfer and it now feels underwhelming on the new frame. I have always loved this fork for it's smooth actuation and stiffness. Now it feels like it has more flex fore and aft than I remember and makes the bike feel under forked.

My question to you guys is: Is this mainly a head angle issue that could be remedied by an angle set headset? This would be cheaper than getting a new fork and would keep my bottom bracket lower for better cornering. I never really felt like I needed more travel than the 140 mm up front either.

Or should I just get a longer travel fork? At this point I'm leaning more towards the 160 mm range and possibly shortening it to 150 mm to take advantage of the stouter forks in that range. Also, I am currently running a Cane Creek 40 Zero stack upper and lower headset. I would probably end up getting a 160 mm fork and keeping the same headset which would help keep the headtube height down but would eliminate the tapered steer tube. Would I miss the added stiffness of the tapered steer tube or is that a pretty negligible increase in stiffness than a standard steer tube?

Thanks again for all the feed back.

nocturnal oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
    I ended up buying an '11 5 Spot!! Based on a lot of the responses here and the reviews I've been reading, it seemed to fit my needs and riding style better. Also, I had an '08 5 Spot before so I am familiar with the Turner built and ride quality. I've always loved the peace of mind I have when owning a Turner. I've never worried about it's durability and longevity. Over the last three years of owning that bike it rode as well on the last ride as it did on the first. That's a great product.

I ended up transferring all my running gear from my '08 to the new '11 Spot. I've been of a four rides now on familiar trails and am very happy with the improvements of the new frame. It pedals and accelerates much better. The suspension also seems to be able to handle a lot of consecutive hits better which I really like.

The only down side so far is that my Pike fork also made the transfer and it now feels underwhelming on the new frame. I have always loved this fork for it's smooth actuation and stiffness. Now it feels like it has more flex fore and aft than I remember and makes the bike feel under forked.

My question to you guys is: Is this mainly a head angle issue that could be remedied by an angle set headset? This would be cheaper than getting a new fork and would keep my bottom bracket lower for better cornering. I never really felt like I needed more travel than the 140 mm up front either.

Or should I just get a longer travel fork? At this point I'm leaning more towards the 160 mm range and possibly shortening it to 150 mm to take advantage of the stouter forks in that range. Also, I am currently running a Cane Creek 40 Zero stack upper and lower headset. I would probably end up getting a 160 mm fork and keeping the same headset which would help keep the headtube height down but would eliminate the tapered steer tube. Would I miss the added stiffness of the tapered steer tube or is that a pretty negligible increase in stiffness than a standard steer tube?

Can't help with the tapered thing. I will say that it's no surprise it feels under forked given the change in geometry. Look toward a 160mm Lyrik, which model I can't say-that'll depend on what you're looking for.
    Even a 150mm Rev should be a consideration, but the dual position Lyrik would give about the same a2c on the 140mm setting, then also offer the 160mm setting. Can't beat that, unless you want to go for a coil if it's worth the front end weight.
    I don't have experience with any of the above, just my 2 cent thoughts. I'm sure those more in the know will help you out momentarily.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post

The 150mm I rode on the bike was a new Float 32 with a tapered steerer and I thought it felt pretty solid. I'm 170lbs. If your Pike feels like it's flexing for you, I would definitely be looking at a tapered steerer with a 20mm thru. It's cheap enough to change to the external bottom headset to fit the taper.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
    Sporty is a very good way to describe the SB. I haven't ridden the 5Spot but I have an SB and I can also confirm that it is a stiff ride. Being that it is stiff, it is very fast, especially when paired with some quick rubber. When set up properly, it really does ride like a short travel bike or even a hardtail without the harshness, but it gives when it needs to without any perceivable change in shock rate. While it isn't plush, it does feel very good through rooty rocky sections and stays incredibly active over bumps while braking and pedaling. It has really zero pedal bob with normal seated pedaling, barely moves when you stand and hammer it, and this is with propedal turned off. It's a very responsive bike that wants to ride fast.
    That sounds just like how my Rune rides, but the Yeti looks to be a bit stiffer in the rear end. I very much want to ride one to compare for myself. Looks like the ultimate trail assasin

Man...Chilcotin, HD, SB-66, FB, Spot w/slacker cups as mentioned all sound like the ultimate do-all trail machines. I wish I can ride them all before I buy in 2012.
    Ride On!