mtbr member
    Jul 2011

2011 Trek Fuel EX8 vs 2011 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Hey guys, so I'm having a really hard time deciding between these two bikes. The LBS is selling both for around $1700 to make room for the new bikes. I heard that the trek won trail bike of the year or something, but wanted to get some other opinions. How do the two suspension systems compare? Is the Fox 32 a much better fork than the RS Revelation RL? Also, the trek has the RP2 in the rear vs the Triad II. I also believe the trek has the tapered headtube and 145mm rear axle? The stumpy doesn't get that until 2012. The spec has SRAM components while the trek has slx and elixer r's vs elixer 5's. 140mm travel on the stumpy and 120mm on the fuel. I've spent hours deciding and I think I've settled on the stumpy as it seems its more capable of handling aggressive stuff with the slacker geo, but I wanted to hear what you guys have to say. I do mostly trail riding with some xc races on the side and I like to go off ~3-4 drops and small 2' jumps. Here's the spec sheets.

Trek Bicycle
    Specialized Bicycle Components : Stumpjumper FSR Comp

Flat six
    Feb 2011
    The Stumpjumper is a more aggressive trail bike, the Fuel is more XC oriented. It sounds like you're going to be doing some drops and jumps so you'll want the longer travel stumpy.

My riding habits sound similar to yours and I'm loving my 2011 Stumpy comp!

Nerdy Jock
    Jun 2008
    Have you ridden both of them? It might come down to which is just more comfortable for you.

Sent from my fingers.
    Current bike: Rocky Mountain ETS-X 70

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Looks like I'm going with the stumpy. I rode the 29er and heard that the 26 is more nimble. Also heard that the stumpy is more sturdy/durable than the fuel, but not sure about that one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    also consider that the trek Does have tapered head tube which usualy inscrease strenght 10-15 % over standard and will make the front end stiffer

i'll note that i don't like that they both only use 9mm QR correct my me if i'm wrong.
    if you do a lot of jumping i would try and find something with 15mm or 20mm axle
    if you can find a Giant Trance X .. especially the X3 both has tapered AND through axle and can be found at that price 1700$ you will have a best of both worlds

i think the stumpy still has better geo for trail stuff though the giant geo is more similar to the trek more XC

i would of mentioned specialized pitch comp/ pro or giant reign ... but those are to heavy for xc racing

tough choice my friend good luck

any bike at that quality and price range will be awesome

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've only got experience with the Trek Fuel ex8, but I do a ton on the bike and it just keeps coming back for more. I do 4 foot drops to flat with no problem, and it descends like a dream. As everyone here has said, it does lean a bit more toward XC than aggressive trail riding, but I like that because I plan on doing some stage races on it.

It climbs well and isn't too heavy. Great bike all around. Sorry I can't help with info about the Stumpy, but thats my 2 cents anyway. Either way you're gonna get a great bike for a great price!

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by maclgallant View Post
    i'll note that i don't like that they both only use 9mm QR correct my me if i'm wrong.
    spec uses a 9mm dt rws. 20 or 15mm is definitely better but the rws is pretty stout.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    spec uses a 9mm dt rws. 20 or 15mm is definitely better but the rws is pretty stout.
    Yeah the Stumpy has the 9mm thru-axle on the front with the standard QR on the rear. Haven't tried it yet on the trail, but it should be plenty stiff.