mtbr member
    Apr 2011

2011 Stumpy FSR vs. Jekyll?

2011 Stumpy FSR Elite (FOX Brain) vs. Comparable C'dale Jekyll

Any opinions?

T.W.O.
    C'dale Jekyll for me, I have the old Jekyll I love it and the new one looks pretty good as well. On the fly travel adjustment and light weight 150mm travel stiff frame no brainer

mtbr member
    I've had a 2011 Stumpy Elite for 2 weeks and it is sweet. I was hesitant about the Brain, but it has been incredible. I love finishing a climb and rolling straight into a jumpline or gnarly descent without need to adjust anything, just keep on flowing.

The aluminum frame Jekyll's weight around 30/31 lbs and my Stumpjumper Elite is 26.2 lbs, and all I did to it was convert it to tubeless using the stems it came with and some Stan's Stealant.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Good info, thx.

Mr. Lynch, did you use just the sealant or the sealant and their rim strips?

T.W.O.
    What kind of riding do you do? Both companies are known for their heavy proprietary components and shock designs what you like more. Both are offers in alu and carbon, same goes with warranty great on the paper but I've seen complaint on both side.

Your riding style may help you pick out the right bike.

mtbr member
    I used the Specialized Blue tape (roval tubeless tape) and Stan's sealant. The Specialized tires are super easy to convert and even held air without any sealant. I was able to convert them using a floor pump, but a compressor would make it much easier.
    I added Sealant just to be safe and I've had no pressure loss or anything, and I've been riding the bike pretty hard.

I did ride a Jekyll before I made a purchase and it was a fun bike too. I'm 165 lbs and the Stumpy felt better to me, but if you closer to 200 lbs the Stumpy might feel a little flexy. The Jekyll is a "beefier" bike and could probably handle the weight better.
    Another big difference (to me) was the drivetrains. I liked the 2x10 drivetrain on the Stumpy much better than the 3x9 on the Jekyll 4/5, and the stumpy has a bash guard stock, which was a big plus in my book.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Cool, I am going to go with the Stumpy... I weigh 148 and 6ft tall...

Can you tell me more about the bash guard, dont see it mentioned on the website.

Now I need to find some one to bring one over for to to Cairo Egypt

Big Boy
    I dont know if getting a 2011 jekyll is even an option. my lbs said they are out until the 2012's come out.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have been out of the bike scene for a while... when do the 2012 bikes typically come out for C'Dale and Specialized?

T.W.O
    Mimi is the authority on C'Dale :P I checked it out and it looks friggin' sweet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Mr. Lynch... No rim strips, just the Stan sealant right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch
    I used the Specialized Blue tape (roval tubeless tape) and Stan's sealant. The Specialized tires are super easy to convert and even held air without any sealant. I was able to convert them using a floor pump, but a compressor would make it much easier.
    I added Sealant just to be safe and I've had no pressure loss or anything, and I've been riding the bike pretty hard.

I did ride a Jekyll before I made a purchase and it was a fun bike too. I'm 165 lbs and the Stumpy felt better to me, but if you closer to 200 lbs the Stumpy might feel a little flexy. The Jekyll is a "beefier" bike and could probably handle the weight better.
    Another big difference (to me) was the drivetrains. I liked the 2x10 drivetrain on the Stumpy much better than the 3x9 on the Jekyll 4/5, and the stumpy has a bash guard stock, which was a big plus in my book.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AEsco48
    Mr. Lynch... No rim strips, just the Stan sealant right?
    I removed the stock yellow rim strips and I put on the Specialized Roval blue rimstrip tape. it was under $20 for the roll and there is enough to do 3 sets of rims.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Do the wheels bring the yellow tape on the side or do I have to buy it separate?

Here go another few questions... I just ordered the bike and I am bringing it to Egypt where we have no half way decent bike shops, so anything I need for the next year I have to ship over.

For a bike carrier (spare wheel style) am I best getting the addapter (stem to seatpost) bars?

Any other parts I should get... Either replacment bc they break easy or wear out... Anything else that i may need in general?

I searched on the Specialized and FOX web site and did not find any info on the overhaul kits for the front and rear shock.... An ideas where to get the info... Or what the service intervals are?

Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    The wheels come stock with the yellow tape installed. I just removed it (pulls right off) and installed the Blue roval tape.

I have a hitch mount rack and I ended up getting one of those stem to seatpost bars. The bike doesn't fit the non-tray style racks very well as the shock will end up sitting on the mount which can not be good for it.

Parts I'd take would be brake pads, brake levers, extra pedals, and a nice set of tools so you can true your own wheels, fix a broken chain etc. and cleaners/lubricants to keep things running smooth.

You should check out http://www.chainreactioncycles.com. they delivery worldwide and I bet they deliver Egypt too. You can get stuff you need pretty quickly and at good prices.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Sorry, should have read "Do the wheels bring the BLUE tape on the side or do I have to buy it separate?

Thx

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Got the bike.... But have not gotten to ride it yet b\c it arrived with family and the next day we left on vacation...

Should it have brought the tubeless valve stems? Dont know why I was under the impression it should have.... ?

These came with the bike... Are they to mount a water bottle to the seatpost... looks to be about the same diameter as the seatpost but have not checked

Thx

mtbr member
    Which bike did you get?
    I'm not sure what those parts are used for.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Oh yea... Went with the Stumpy FSR Elite

mtbr member
    Nice choice! White/black or Lime green/black?

T.W.O
    Why didn't you post a picture of the bike instead of that pic? haha

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Here she is before I finished putting her together... Weighed her yesterday with Eggbeater 3's, water cage and rear derailleur guard at 29lb.